Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

You buy the campervan ticket when paying the balance next April. There's no option to buy campervan tickets this Sunday. Tickets were £85 last year.

Thinking about a camping/campervan decision - do the campervan tickets sell out quickly?

Just concerned since our first choice of Worthy View appeared to sell out within minutes - if there's a minimal chance of getting a campervan ticket then may as well look at booking flights now...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Chelon wrote: »
    Thinking about a camping/campervan decision - do the campervan tickets sell out quickly?

Just concerned since our first choice of Worthy View appeared to sell out within minutes - if there's a minimal chance of getting a campervan ticket then may as well look at booking flights now...

If you leave it until the end of the payment window for paying your balance then you'll be very unlikely to get a campervan ticket, I'd be looking to pay asap once it's possible.

There are generally ways of picking them up via efests after they have sold out though as various people have issues with their van and switch to going by car instead.

So do you reckon I'd get a van ticket within the first day or two of the window opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

So do you reckon I'd get a van ticket within the first day or two of the window opening?

I got a campervan ticket last year.

I bought mine the day the ticket payment window opened and if I remember correctly all tickets were sold by very early on the third day.

If possible, buy the ticket on the first day of the window otherwise you run a big risk of missing out!!

Seriously considering the campervan now - how does it compare vs camping for facilities, ease of access to the stages, etc? Any downside?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seriously considering the campervan now - how does it compare vs camping for facilities, ease of access to the stages, etc? Any downside?

The campervan fields are outside the fence, so you have to go through security a couple of times a day and show your ticket and wrist band each time.
    If you are camped in the East fields then you have the "Hill of Death" to negotiate in both directions daily, the West side is flat but that is a smaller campervan area.
    The loos are only the turdis variety, some prefer them others hate them, but they are generally in a better condition than the ones in the site.
    There is 24 hour burger van type things in each campervan area, but you've not got as much choice as in the main site.
    It is potentially a long queue to get in and out of the site each time depending on the time of day, who is playing, the weather, and just bad luck.
    It is a longer walk to everywhere in site because, well your not in the site proper.
    You are not camped on top of each other like in the camping fields.
    You'll get a better nights kip due to having a better bed in the van, but also it is quieter anyway.

Depends on what you are looking for from the festival. If you are looking for 24 hour mayhem for 6 days then camp in the main site. If you would like a few extra creature comforts and can put up with the hassle of additional security checks each day and a longer walk bad to bed then try a campervan.

That's helpful cheers. Definitely looking for as decent a nights sleep as can be had however it does sound a hell of a long way out. Haven't been before but hear the furthest reaches of the camping fields are way out and this sounds further again, plus the hassle of getting in and out also.

It also depends on where you want to be when in the site as to how far away the camper van fields are.
    If you are into the Acoustic Tent and Pyramid Stage then it's just as far from the back end of Pennards Hill as the furthest reaches of the camper van fields. If you want to hang around the dance area Other Stage then the west camper van fields may suit better. If you are hanging out at the Green Fields and stones all the time then you are miles away from everywhere on the north of the train tracks.

Basically it is a massive site what ever way you do it and wherever you camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

headliners looking like Coldplay, Foo Fighters and someone else, possibly Taylor Swift!
    http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/15/150203k.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

As much as I don't care about the headliners all that much I really hope it isn't Coldplay again. They're now at the point of being who Eavis calls when he is out of ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Fooking Coldplay. I'm almost thinking of throwing my ticket back in disgust. Good job theres plenty other places to be but having no interest in last years headliners I was hoping to have something to get excited about this year just to experience one Pyramid headliner show.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

Has anyone booked their flights home yet??

Horrible times from both Ryanair and Aerlingus, they're really taking advantage of the festival travellers this year. Both have 8am flights from Bristol to Dublin but then the next ones aren't until that night...Aerlingus has one at 7pm but it's £228 one way for one person, with no bags checked. The next Ryanair flight isn't until 9pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Pretty sure that's always been the case. I got the 8am flight last year for the first time ever. Had always done the night flight before. It's painful making the airport on time and more painful staying awake to get on the flight but its amazing being back in your own bed before midday. Bumming around Bristol airport for hours stinking waiting for the late flight is pretty terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Has anyone booked their flights home yet??

Horrible times from both Ryanair and Aerlingus, they're really taking advantage of the festival travellers this year. Both have 8am flights from Bristol to Dublin but then the next ones aren't until that night...Aerlingus has one at 7pm but it's £228 one way for one person, with no bags checked. The next Ryanair flight isn't until 9pm!

Velocity Girl, surely someone of your super abilities doesn't need a plane to get back to Ireland!!
    That's just the nature of flights unfortunately, Those times are regular Bristol times and wouldn't have been set with the festival in mind. Get someone to drive, x2 ppl, car & Diesel will set you back €180 per person

Toast wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's always been the case. I got the 8am flight last year for the first time ever. Had always done the night flight before. It's painful making the airport on time and more painful staying awake to get on the flight but its amazing being back in your own bed before midday. Bumming around Bristol airport for hours stinking waiting for the late flight is pretty terrible.

For the last two years I think there has been a late afternoon flight cause I've been home around 7pm.

Aerlingus asking £200+ for a one way flight is ridiculous though, I could get to America for that LOL

I'm going to try and make the 8am flight, we'll see how that goes! :D

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Velocity Girl, surely someone of your super abilities doesn't need a plane to get back to Ireland!!

If only it worked that way...would save a fortune!! :P :D

For the last two years I think there has been a late afternoon flight cause I've been home around 7pm.

Aerlingus asking £200+ for a one way flight is ridiculous though, I could get to America for that LOL

I'm going to try and make the 8am flight, we'll see how that goes! :D

You might save a lot of money by a cheap night in a Travelodge and fly back the next day. Not that I'd suggest that as being a suitable option really though as getting back to your own bed becomes of big importance.

Ryanair did used to have more flights a day though and after making use of free accommodation at family/ friends in the Bristol area would use to get the midday flight back on the Tuesday, with some freshly cleaned clothes as well if I was lucky.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    That's just the nature of flights unfortunately, Those times are regular Bristol times and wouldn't have been set with the festival in mind. Get someone to drive, x2 ppl, car & Diesel will set you back €180 per person

Thinking of the car + ferry option as well - load up with a big tent and all the gear + heavy duty trolley to cart it all across the fields (I've read the FAQ!).

Anyone done it this way....sound feasible?

haven't done it myself but it's what we're planning.
    late ferry over Tuesday, drive through the night. get there around 5am and have a few hours kip in the car, then in we go.
    evening/night-time ferry back on Monday.

having to check in extra bags.tents on flights and then get transport to and from the site seems like too much of a faff, especially with all the gear/supplies required. much handier leaving stuff in the car and get it on Friday morning...

think it was about €120pp on the ferry last time i checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

haven't done it myself but it's what we're planning.
    late ferry over Tuesday, drive through the night. get there around 5am and have a few hours kip in the car, then in we go.
    evening/night-time ferry back on Monday.

having to check in extra bags.tents on flights and then get transport to and from the site seems like too much of a faff, especially with all the gear/supplies required. much handier leaving stuff in the car and get it on Friday morning...

think it was about €120pp on the ferry last time i checked.

we did this last year with no issues, planning the same again this year although we might get an earlier ferry tuesday and relax a bit and get some dinner and supplies before heading to the site for gates opening tuesday night.

• Advertisement

was thinking that but not sure if there's really anything to do on the Tuesday night? could probably just get a longer sleep in the car i suppose!
    was thinking about getting supplies at a 24hr supermarket when we're on the road, probably save a decent bit on food and booze buying over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

SailRail was a good option for us going home this year. If you have an extra day to spare its relaxing. We had a cheap night in Bristol, so able to have a wash! Got train to Holyhead on the Tues - it just involved an easy change in Newport. Both trains and ferry were quiet enough, we got to check our big bags on ferry too I think. Was nice to not have to worry about all that till Dublin.

was thinking that but not sure if there's really anything to do on the Tuesday night? could probably just get a longer sleep in the car i suppose!
    was thinking about getting supplies at a 24hr supermarket when we're on the road, probably save a decent bit on food and booze buying over there.

Sterling rate is a bit **** at the mo, so it might not give you a huge deal of saving Vs the effort put in over there taking time to stop and finding the place you want and that's open etc.
    If the fixed unit pricing for booze comes in obviously want to buy in the UK or if you have a ticket think about getting booze soon.

Bring spending money with you enough for the first few days, I depended on just taking cash out of an ATM rather than getting some here beforehand, my mate did the same. We drove down the UK from Holyhead 8pm onwards, every single ATM wouldn't read our cards we tried easily 14 different machines not a bean!! Panic! Desolate time, we thought we'd have to kip in the car until morning outside a high street bank at one point. It ended up the services use a specific type of cash machine that won't accept Irish cards, got sorted eventually but it was hassle and stress I could have done without!

Thinking of the car + ferry option as well - load up with a big tent and all the gear + heavy duty trolley to cart it all across the fields (I've read the FAQ!).

Anyone done it this way....sound feasible?

Not sure how heavy you mean when you say 'big tent' but did it last year x6 man tent + beer no probs, Had a sack trolley from b&q or woodies can't remember. Large 6" pneumatic wheels did the job!!

I was preparing my self for allot worse but it was grand, if you've done the EP it's not much different (Although it was dry and it depends on what field you park in I suppose!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You'll save a fortune on booze! We stayed in Glastonbury town on the Tuesday night before. Few pints and a meal.

Drive on Tuesday, park the car at the site, get a taxi to the town, stay there and get a taxi back in the morning. the taxis have exclusive use of the back roads so theres no traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Just a quick question, hope someone can help us out. A group of 5 of us managed to get coach package tickets last October leaving Bristol on the Wednesday, however one of our group can't go now until late Thurs/Fri morning due to exams/work. Is there anyway around this for our mate to still get his ticket without travelling on the bus? Could we collect his ticket for him with a copy of his id? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Just a quick question, hope someone can help us out. A group of 5 of us managed to get coach package tickets last October leaving Bristol on the Wednesday, however one of our group can't go now until late Thurs/Fri morning due to exams/work. Is there anyway around this for our mate to still get his ticket without travelling on the bus? Could we collect his ticket for him with a copy of his id? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

That will be dependant on the coach driver. I'd fire of a question to the festival office and see if anything can be done.
    We got our tickets as we boarded last year but some drivers only hand them out half way.
    Might be worth an ask over on eFests cos a lot more glasto traffic over there for this kind of question.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    That will be dependant on the coach driver. I'd fire of a question to the festival office and see if anything can be done.
    We got our tickets as we boarded last year but some drivers only hand them out half way.
    Might be worth an ask over on eFests cos a lot more glasto traffic over there for this kind of question.
    Cheers. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

davywalsh7 wrote: »

It really depends on the coach driver and location to be honest. I've gone by coach the last 2 years, the first year from Birmingham where the bus driver waited until everyone was on the bus, called out the names of all the main bookers and handed them an envelope with however many tickets they booked.

I went from Cardiff last year and it was the exact opposite; there was a conductor before you got on the coach and he wanted photo ID from every one getting a ticket, not just the main booker.

Both times I've gone by coach there's always a few no shows, the coach driver usually rings them to find out if it's worth hanging on a few minutes for them or if they're running really late they'll usually drive off without them.

What happens to their tickets after that is the real question: Can they collect them from the same place later, or can they collect them from the festival ticket office in the Glastonbury site. It's worth asking over on eFests as this might be an option for your friend.

• Advertisement

johnnykilo wrote: »
    It really depends on the coach driver and location to be honest. I've gone by coach the last 2 years, the first year from Birmingham where the bus driver waited until everyone was on the bus, called out the names of all the main bookers and handed them an envelope with however many tickets they booked.

I went from Cardiff last year and it was the exact opposite; there was a conductor before you got on the coach and he wanted photo ID from every one getting a ticket, not just the main booker.

Both times I've gone by coach there's always a few no shows, the coach driver usually rings them to find out if it's worth hanging on a few minutes for them or if they're running really late they'll usually drive off without them.

What happens to their tickets after that is the real question: Can they collect them from the same place later, or can they collect them from the festival ticket office in the Glastonbury site. It's worth asking over on eFests as this might be an option for your friend.

yea got a few replies on efests as well, seems to be that a good few people collected them at the ticket office at glastonbury before. ill leave it up to my mate to make the call on it. thanks for the reply!

Advertisement