Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I really don't understand how people get so worked up over someone they don't like headlining. There's 85 other stages you can watch instead. Nobody's forcing you to watch him.

Personally I think it's a great choice. There's not many other acts around who a) Haven't played before b) Aren't at least 30 years removed from their heyday, and c) Can be relied upon to put on a show worthy of the main stage.

As for the idea that "hip hop doesn't belong in Glastonbury", well De La Soul played 25 years ago in 1990, so it's had hip-hop in the lineup longer than it hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Glitterman said it a bit more eloquently and with a few less stars than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

bennyl10 wrote: »
    And people gave out about Metallica..
    It can't get much worse they said..

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the complete and utter worst possible choice..
    Emily Eavis, congratulations..

Unbelievably commercial acts headlining an unbelievably commercial festival wow complete shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

First time at Glasto last year and didn't see a single headliner and certainly didn't feel like I missed out on anything. Was too busy having an awesome time. So not really bothered that Kanye is playing other than I think he's a bellend and personally think it just adds to his already inflated ego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

I enjoy the fact his announcement has caused such ridiculous anger.
    Just shows people up for the idiots they really are.
    'I'm so glad now I didn't get a ticket'.
    Aye we believe you.

Glasto has always been about musical diversity, more so some years than others, and while I won't be going to the Pyramid on the Saturday night, I have no problem with those that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

If this story turns out to be true, its likely to coincide with a new album (I can dream!)

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Glastonbury-Stone-Roses-headline-Sunday-night/story-26205004-detail/story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

BPKS wrote: »
    If this story turns out to be true, its likely to coincide with a new album (I can dream!)

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Glastonbury-Stone-Roses-headline-Sunday-night/story-26205004-detail/story.html

I would rather Blur myself

• Registered Users Posts: 43,913 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Heard nothing but horrendous reports about The Stone Roses from the gigs back in Phoenix Park in 2012. Blur on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Basq wrote: »
    Heard nothing but horrendous reports about The Stone Roses from the gigs back in Phoenix Park in 2012. Blur on the other hand...

Happened to be at the Roses in Phoenix Park and Heaton Park and Blur in Kilmainham in 2012 and 2013 so have a good perspective of both. Got close to the stage on both occasions in Dublin and had no issues with the sound. Also saw the Roses in Cork in 95 an Blur in the RDS in 96. Personally I would have the 3 Roses concerts over the Blur (not saying Blur weren't really good), buts down to the fact I would probably listen to The Stone Roses at least a week whereas Modern Life is Rubbish or Parklife or Blur are lucky to get an airing once a month!

Damon is undoubtedly the better vocalist, but if its just the vocals people are interested in then they'd probably prefer Michael Buble:D

If its either band then the Sunday night should be excellent if your lucky enough to be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Stone Roses were great at the Phoenix Park that time, reviews on here after were overwhelmingly positive on their performance (PP organisation not so much).
    Blur were absolute dogsh1t last time I saw them at Oxegen 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

The Roses were good on the 2012 tour, certainly a far cry from the 1995 Feile performance.
    Unless you are close to the stage I find it hard to believe anyone could enjoy any gig in Phoenix Park so I'd hesitate to take the opinions of critics of those gigs.

Blur were also excellent headlining Sziget in 2013 but having done Glasto a few years ago as well I'd be less keen to see them again.

Of course the Roses might prove underwhelming but that can be said about almost any headliner.
    The difference is if they were to get it right, it could be truly memorable stuff.
    I'd love the rumour (albeit unlikely at this stage) to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I saw Blur in Glastonbury in 2009 and it was fantastic. One of the best live shows I've seen. Seeing them again in Primavera a couple years later against my better judgment was just trying to relive that and it came nowhere close. I don't want to see them do Glastonbury again.. they've done it and perfected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Finding it incredibly difficult to hire a campervan, either here or in the UK, at a reasonable price for Glastonbury week.

Also running through my mind is what happens if you do pay the big bucks then what happens if you fail to secure a campervan ticket in April? All seems incredibly difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Chelon wrote: »
    Finding it incredibly difficult to hire a campervan, either here or in the UK, at a reasonable price for Glastonbury week.

Also running through my mind is what happens if you do pay the big bucks then what happens if you fail to secure a campervan ticket in April? All seems incredibly difficult.

We got one with classic hymer. Just don't pay up front, pay a deposit and wait to see if you get a campervan ticket

sebcity wrote: »
    We got one with classic hymer. Just don't pay up front, pay a deposit and wait to see if you get a campervan ticket

Mind if I ask how much they charge? Looks like ferry from Rosslare would work out around €270ish including a night in a hotel (works out cheaper this way on Stena compared to booking the ferry on its' own).

Toast wrote: »
    I saw Blur in Glastonbury in 2009 and it was fantastic. One of the best live shows I've seen. Seeing them again in Primavera a couple years later against my better judgment was just trying to relive that and it came nowhere close. I don't want to see them do Glastonbury again.. they've done it and perfected it.

I have heard this oft quoted on eFests (glastonbury moment gets quoted over and over ad nauseaum) and I totally understand but having not been there I would give me right arm for them to come back and better that performance, an impossible feat maybe.
    So I'm still hoping for Blur to be announced cos I'm green with envy over that missed 2009 highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm glad that Kanye West is the main stage headliner not because I don't like him but if anything it will make or force you to explore different parts of the festival, theres so much to see I'd say.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Blur are out, Dave Rowntree said that they wouldn't be playing on XFM this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

What about the Stone Roses? With Blur ruled out it could be anyone really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Pity about blur. Really open for the 3rd headliner.
    Would love it to be the stone roses! Lineup should be announced soon

Quick question - have heard that exiting the site on Monday can be a nightmare. Anyone know what it's like if you are campervanning? What time of day would you expect to clear the site and hit the (reasonably) open road? Would you be able to hit London before 5-6pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Chelon wrote: »
    Quick question - have heard that exiting the site on Monday can be a nightmare. Anyone know what it's like if you are campervanning? What time of day would you expect to clear the site and hit the (reasonably) open road? Would you be able to hit London before 5-6pm?

I've found if you head off before 9 you'll have no issues getting out. Weather dependant.

if you left the regular west carparks around 11, how long would you expect to be sitting in traffic to get onto open road?

we're looking at the 20:30 ferry from Holyhead, but still want to be able to enjoy the last night somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

if you left the regular west carparks around 11, how long would you expect to be sitting in traffic to get onto open road?

we're looking at the 20:30 ferry from Holyhead, but still want to be able to enjoy the last night somewhat.

Not sure what its like after 11 we usually leave around 9 ish to get that 20:30 ferry. It starts to get busy when we are leaving, then a nice leisurely drive to Holyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

We left CV West last year around 6am (our driver decided not to drink on the Sunday).

Had no problems getting out really, There was a 20-30 minute hold up between the site and the motorway but nothing major.

Drove to a service area about 45miles from Fishguard and had breakfast and hot showers and then got a few hours sleep in the campervan before driving the final 45miles to the port to catch the 2.45pm Stena Line sailing to Rosslare.

It worked really well as we had no traffic stress and didn't need to be driving at stupid speeds to make the ferry.

Met others on the same sailing who left around 9.30am and with traffic delays etc just made the sailing.

They also mentioned that those in CV East who left at a similar time had missed the sailing and had to wait a further 12 hours in Fishguard.

It took us 4 hours to drive a fully loaded campervan (including a couple of rest stops) from Fishguard to Glastonbury. It then took a other hour to get on site. (We began to queue for CV West around 5.30am on the Wednesday morning).

Anybody lucky enough the have tickets this year, you're in for the time of your life. There is nowhere on earth like this festival. Words will never be able to describe it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We left the East campervan fields at about midday, or friends left about 11:30. They were on to the A road within about 15 minutes (at which point the traffic is deliberately sent south along the A37 as that is the direction that nobody wants to go in so by doing that it disperses the traffic across lots of random routes and you don't have everybody just taking the same route for the M5). They didn't encounter any major traffic issues in getting to the motoways.

Anyway, we broke camp at 12pm. By 3pm we were about 200m away from where we had camped in the next field and had moved 10 meters once in the previous hour (which was very exciting at the time).

This was all caused by someone else having broken down on one of the country lanes to get from the carparks to the main road. Basically the earlier that you can leave the better, but you could be stuck in mud trying to get out of the field and then just be waiting your turn for the tractor to come and pull you out, or you could be stuck in a queue going nowhere for hours, or you could be out and on the road with zero traffic in about 15 minutes.

Plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We left E17 at 10am, drive 100m and then didn't move until 4pm. Missed our flights so went to Bristol and stayed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

We're aiming to get the 2am ferry back. So it will mean missing some of the final night but some of our crew need to be in work on the Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

sebcity wrote: »
    We're aiming to get the 2am ferry back. So it will mean missing some of the final night but some of our crew need to be in work on the Monday morning.

Wheres the ferry leaving from?

Advertisement