Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,914 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Foo's have just cancelled Pink Pop and a gig in Switzerland. Gonna be fecking gutted if Glasto is cancelled as well.
    Yeah, just under 2 weeks away so probably they'll see closer to the time. Won't be healed in that time.. that's for sure!

Christ, and Florence Welch is only getting over a broken foot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,661 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, just under 2 weeks away so probably they'll see closer to the time. Won't be healed in that time.. that's for sure!

Christ, and Florence Welch is only getting over a broken foot too.

Motörhead to headline!

It was meant to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

foolelle wrote: »
    Ferry is handy enough. Presume your driving? It's about 150 miles to Pilton from Pembroke dock, should take you about 4 hours including a stop at one of the services for a break. Also handy to stop off in Bristol for supplies. We're lucky we can book the 0245 return on Tuesday morning so we wait for the ill effects to wear off and the traffic off the site to die down and then take our time getting back to the ferry.

For anyone interested here is a 20% discount code for stena which goes to Fishguard rather than Pembroke which is a slight bit longer a drive on the other side but only about 20min or so. B314 is the code.

Big thanks for the code. I'll buy you a beer with the money I saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Big thanks for the code. I'll buy you a beer with the money I saved.

Ah ha, not at all, that's very generous of you! I'm just glad someone saved a few bob with it! 20% is a decent discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carlythebear

Hi All,

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am selling my glastonbury ticket. I am not a tout and am selling the ticket for face value. The pic on the ticket will suit a mid-late twenties/early thirties male and the image itself is also very dark. PM for more details.

Many Thanks.

Hello I am very interested in buying this off you as I a seem to fit your description. If it's still available (please say it is) any chance you could email samuel-hughes123 @ hotmail co uk as I can't seem to PM you.

Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Bit of a trivial question but what is the best strategy for lugging your gear around the festival?

I'm thinking along the lines of a small rucksack with couple of camping chairs strapped to the top - would this be overkill? I'm just thinking especially going into days 3/4 the legs will be getting weary...and I'm assuming that once you leave the tent/van it's impractical to return there until the night is over due to the size of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Chelon wrote: »
    Bit of a trivial question but what is the best strategy for lugging your gear around the festival?

I'm thinking along the lines of a small rucksack with couple of camping chairs strapped to the top - would this be overkill? I'm just thinking especially going into days 3/4 the legs will be getting weary...and I'm assuming that once you leave the tent/van it's impractical to return there until the night is over due to the size of the site.

Use the lock ups and leave the chairs at your tent. If you MUST bring something to sit on, I had one of those little tripod stools which I have to say was a god send last year with all the mud and being able to sit on something albeit just slightly off the ground.
    Choose your campsite according to time of arrival vs areas you are likely to be interested in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Plenty of ground to sit on, you won't want to be lugging a big chair around all day long. If you are camping then although the site is big, once you know your way around you are never actually that far away if you need to head back to fetch an extra layer before night time shenanigans or waterproofs.

Thanks, sound advice. We'll be in the Campervan East field - I read that the lockups are big enough to put a bike into, are they really that large? Also are they readily available - I could imagine them getting snapped up fairly quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Thanks, sound advice. We'll be in the Campervan East field - I read that the lockups are big enough to put a bike into, are they really that large? Also are they readily available - I could imagine them getting snapped up fairly quickly?

Use the locks ups, I put my passport, keys and money into them and collected my daily budget everyday like a cash machine. (exchange rate and ATM costs will kill you so take your money in one go and divvy it up)
    They are located in various spots in the site and absolutely brilliant. No charge but donation welcomed seeing as they are run voluntarily. You get a slip of paper which I recommend taking a picture of immediately in case you lose it.

festival1.png

Tort-Faq-Glastonbury-Lockup-photo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Use the locks ups, I put my passport, keys and money into them and collected my daily budget everyday like a cash machine. (exchange rate and ATM costs will kill you so take your money in one go and divvy it up)
    They are located in various spots in the site and absolutely brilliant. No charge but donation welcomed seeing as they are run voluntarily. You get a slip of paper which I recommend taking a picture of immediately in case you lose it.

festival1.png

Tort-Faq-Glastonbury-Lockup-photo.jpg

Hi, could you elaborate more about these please? What's the idea? You just use it as a safe. Or would you bring in most of your drink etc for the day and head back every once in a while? I wasn't aware these existed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

sebcity wrote: »
    Hi, could you elaborate more about these please? What's the idea? You just use it as a safe. Or would you bring in most of your drink etc for the day and head back every once in a while? I wasn't aware these existed!

Yep, clothes for the night, booze etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you are camping then there is no such thing as "bringing stuff in and out". Once you are in the gate, you are in for the duration of the festival. There is no separation between the camping areas and the stages or market areas, it just one big site.

The lockups will be useful though if you have things like passports that you don't want to risk losing in a muddy puddle at the entrance to your tent after rummaging around you bag for munchies at 2am. Or if you have a bulky item that you don't want to leave lying about, or it you are camped up by the stone circle but will be spending the day watching everything on the Pyramid but are not sure if the heavens are going to open later that day so want somewhere to leave your bag with a few spare cans and waterproofs in to save you the walk back to the tent for supplies.

They also have loo roll available at the lockups in case of emergencies.

robinph wrote: »
    If you are camping then there is no such thing as "bringing stuff in and out". Once you are in the gate, you are in for the duration of the festival. There is no separation between the camping areas and the stages or market areas, it just one big site.

The lockups will be useful though if you have things like passports that you don't want to risk losing in a muddy puddle at the entrance to your tent after rummaging around you bag for munchies at 2am. Or if you have a bulky item that you don't want to leave lying about, or it you are camped up by the stone circle but will be spending the day watching everything on the Pyramid but are not sure if the heavens are going to open later that day so want somewhere to leave your bag with a few spare cans and waterproofs in to save you the walk back to the tent for supplies.

They also have loo roll available at the lockups in case of emergencies.

Great thanks. I understand.
    I'm in the campervan site so I think technically I do have to "pass out" but I get what you're saying - if you're camping you don't have to go through a security check every time you enter the arena like Electric Picnic.

Great thanks. I understand.
    I'm in the campervan site so I think technically I do have to "pass out" but I get what you're saying - if you're camping you don't have to go through a security check every time you enter the arena like Electric Picnic.

Yep, that's it.

From the campervan fields you will most likely not want to be faffing about with the trek in and out of the site through security multiple times a day. It's not a massive difference in terms of the walking distance, but the "hill of death" is a big psychological deterrent to you wanting to climb up there just to fetch an extra couple of cans. There is a lockup just inside the gate from the campervan east fields near to the Acoustic Tent which will be a handy spot to drop off your supplies for each day trip into the site.

If you are going to be leaving stuff each day it will be sensible to always leave a bag in the lockup, even if the bag is empty, so that you keep your place claimed. They will fill up over the weekend, but if you leave an empty bag behind overnight then the next morning you can re-stock that with your next days supply of cans.

Yep, that's it.

From the campervan fields you will most likely not want to be faffing about with the trek in and out of the site through security multiple times a day. It's not a massive difference in terms of the walking distance, but the "hill of death" is a big psychological deterrent to you wanting to climb up there just to fetch an extra couple of cans. There is a lockup just inside the gate from the campervan east fields near to the Acoustic Tent which will be a handy spot to drop off your supplies for each day trip into the site.

If you are going to be leaving stuff each day it will be sensible to always leave a bag in the lockup, even if the bag is empty, so that you keep your place claimed. They will fill up over the weekend, but if you leave an empty bag behind overnight then the next morning you can re-stock that with your next days supply of cans.

That's super, thanks.

So when you say "keep your place claimed" I don't understand. Are you given a certain area within the lockup or something? Are you free to walk around inside? Sorry for the silly questions

• Registered Users Posts: 43,914 ✭✭✭✭Basq

So when you say "keep your place claimed" I don't understand. Are you given a certain area within the lockup or something? Are you free to walk around inside? Sorry for the silly questions
    Presume he means there's a certain number of lockers.. if you use one, you can re-use it over the weekend. So use a locker first day, even if you've nothing in it, so you can take advantage of it over weekend.

To call them lockers is overstating it a bit. They are big tents with security people and staff 24 hours and have wire fences around the inside so that nobody can sneak in under the sides.

The inside is actually just a load of wooden shelves. You turn up with a bag, they put label on bag, give you corresponding ticket, they put bag on assigned shelf.

If you go and completely remove your bag from the lockup though and they run out of shelf space then you may find on the Saturday/ Sunday that they have no space left to take any more stuff in the tent. They will always try and squeeze more stuff in, but once they run out of shelf space you may find yourself carrying you bag around to find another lockup elsewhere on site. Once you've got your bag in there though it is worth leaving it until you don't want to use the lockup any more, you can take stuff in and out of your bag as often as you like though.

You don't have access to the lockup, they will fetch and carry your bag from the shelves and you'll have to sign the slip each time to say you've been at the bag.

Perfect, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

think of them more like a cloakroom and less like lockers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT8WNPPLGPc

• Advertisement

Yes the term "lockup" conjures up a totally different image. Surprised you say it's perfectly safe to leave stuff like passport and large wads of cash in there but I'll bow to the veterans' knowledge ;-)

Yes the term "lockup" conjures up a totally different image. Surprised you say it's perfectly safe to leave stuff like passport and large wads of cash in there but I'll bow to the veterans' knowledge ;-)

I wouldn't walk in with a big bag with dollar signs on the side and notes pouring our the top of it and expect that to be totally safe. But putting a nondescript backpack with some dirty clothes and some cash stuffed in your smelly socks at the bottom will not be a problem. I seem to remember that they will ask you for a brief description on if there is anything valuable in there in the event you later claim that stuff went missing.

You will be far, far safer leaving passports and boarding passes in the lock-ups than leaving them in your tent or even on kept your person.

You will be far, far safer leaving passports and boarding passes in the lock-ups than leaving them in your tent or even on kept your person.

Really?!

Really?!

Much safer on site these days, but have had a couple of years running where my tent and it's entire contents got nicked whilst I was propping up the Cider Bus on the Wednesday evening. Spent the rest of the weekend getting smellier and smellier in the same set of clothes, had to call out a locksmith to get back into the mates car and re-order all my prescription drugs from the onsite pharmacy, which included needles for one of my drugs.

As for how safe is your passport on your person, how confident are you for the waterproofness of your jacket? Will you always remember to keep that pocket zipped up when the downpoor starts and you are searching around for the last soggy £10 so you can buy another pint of Hot'n'Spicy cider to warm you up? Will you remain sensible and not join in with the mud sliding? Will you manage to not fall into a big muddy puddle? Will you remember not to use your passport for roach material?

I'm fairly confident I'd not make any of those mistakes, but I still wouldn't carry a passport around with me all the time at Glastonbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Just a bit of advice if you do happen to loose something... one of our gang managed to loose the camper van keys (the only set we had) in the mud last year on the trek back to get more beer.

We didn't think there'd be a hope in hell that we'd find them. We got an on site AA guy to break into the camper for us. We checked at a few lost and found tents on the walk back into the festival site and they all let us look through their boxes of stuff. (Plenty of phones/ wallets/ sun glasses and indeed keys are handed in every hour.) You'd be surprised where things will turn up!

Anyway no sign of our camper keys there, but they did advise us to check Worthy Farm which we did. All lost and found items that are turned in are logged with a date time and location and end up back at Worthy farm making it easier to reunite them with their owners.

Sooo... low and behold, they actually had our camper keys! We couldn't believe it!!! Danced around and hugged the staff (who are mainly volunteers) for about 20mins!

Everyone we dealt with us were really nice and helpful. Glastonbury is such a great festival. Would love to be going again this year :(

Much safer on site these days, but have had a couple of years running where my tent and it's entire contents got nicked whilst I was propping up the Cider Bus on the Wednesday evening. Spent the rest of the weekend getting smellier and smellier in the same set of clothes, had to call out a locksmith to get back into the mates car and re-order all my prescription drugs from the onsite pharmacy, which included needles for one of my drugs.

As for how safe is your passport on your person, how confident are you for the waterproofness of your jacket? Will you always remember to keep that pocket zipped up when the downpoor starts and you are searching around for the last soggy £10 so you can buy another pint of Hot'n'Spicy cider to warm you up? Will you remain sensible and not join in with the mud sliding? Will you manage to not fall into a big muddy puddle? Will you remember not to use your passport for roach material?

I'm fairly confident I'd not make any of those mistakes, but I still wouldn't carry a passport around with me all the time at Glastonbury.

Jesus, sorry to hear that. I thought this place was going to be safe enough with no scobies robbing! Suppose there's always a few.

Was going to get a waterproof round the neck pouch thing because I'm in the campervan site so need to have my ticket and pass-out every time I come through. Keep some stuff in that...but sure the rope could break I suppose.

I'll use the lock up so!

Jesus, sorry to hear that. I thought this place was going to be safe enough with no scobies robbing! Suppose there's always a few.

Was going to get a waterproof round the neck pouch thing because I'm in the campervan site so need to have my ticket and pass-out every time I come through. Keep some stuff in that...but sure the rope could break I suppose.

I'll use the lock up so!

It is very rare for there to be thieving going on, I was just incredibly unlucky two years running. This was all pre-superfence also.

Glastonbury is the biggest "city" in the southwest of England for that weekend. It also has far fewer police incidents than any other comparable sized city over a weekend. They do deal with people very swiftly when needed, there have had a temporary court setup across the road in the Bath And West Showground to allow magistrates to sentence people immediately over the weekend. There is no need to be nervous about the happenings on the site, it is safer than any other big festival that you could go to. I'm taking my daughter along who will only just be a month old over the weekend. I'm more concerned with am I taking enough nappies than anything else.

If you are staying in the campervan site then stash your passport etc in the van, but well hidden. Then just keep your ticket and passout in a secure pocket for each time you are in the site. You won't need to use the lockups for those things, you'll have to be of relatively sane mind each evening/ morning when you treck back to the van anyway. You should use the lockups for beer, chairs, waterproofs that you don't want to carry about all day.

Those who are staying in the main area camping should stash their passports in the lockups though would be my advice. Those people are more likely to end up in a ditch upside down at 5am. :D

Great advice, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

This was all pre-superfence also.

Might not be so clear to others but to be clear this was basically a different festival when it came to crime. Anyone could and often did wander in through downed parts of the fence or through dodgy stamps on the gates. Still the odd few thefts each year since the fence but I'd be more worried about being camped beside someones poop tent (which allegedly exist) than run into a tent thief. Existence of poop tents possibly also what is keeping the number of tent thieves down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Toast wrote: »
    ...poop tent...

Poop tent?

Advertisement