Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Seen Suede twice, once in The Redbox many moons ago, think MTV (back in the days when it was cool and worth watching) they filmed it and broadcasted it, terrible sound problems at the start of the show, Bretts mic keep cutting out and then saw them perform "Dog Man Star" in The Olympia, 2 fantastic gigs, hopefully a summer show in Ireland is lined up, fingers crossed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Iv'e no opinion on Kanye really, i liked the 1st 2 songs, then it died a bit, Gold Digger seemed rushed at the end to, never heard of suede before reading this thread....sorry lads,

Really cant wait for The Who now, haven't looked forward so much to a headline act since Springsteen a few years ago.

Paul Weller also on at 8pm as well. Looking forward to the both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭hynesie08

BS. Rap music has a place without doubt but it ain't on the main stage of Glastonbury. He stunk the place out.

So what should be on the main stage of Glastonbury? I mean Jay Z killed it a few years ago, Beyonce knocked it out of the park/field, Metallica were awesome. So what quantifies a Glastonbury headliner in your book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

stretchdoe wrote: »
    Admire the balls of the guy to do it the way he did.

And he kinda is the last 'rock star' in music at the moment.

Foo Fighters or whoever would do a nice, safe show that everyone would be sure to enjoy and would be entirely predictable.

Aren't 'rock stars' supposed to keep you guessing and get up some peoples noses? Annoy those who don't understand?

Kanye delivers on that front, at least.

No Rock Stars play "Rock" music.

Does Kanye Wests music resemble "Rock" music? No..
    .Kanye West fails to qualify as a Rock Star. Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

tinpib wrote: »
    Ya telling me I didn't have the bandwidth to play the stream, thought it was a problem on my side.

Rebooted just as Deadmau5 finished and it hasn't worked at all since :(

Managed to get the end of Jon Hopkins on BBC R6. Really looking forward to it all day

• Advertisement

Gots me da funk on bbc 4 now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Birneybau wrote: »
    Suede's set was on BBC3

BBC4 actually, but red button would have allowedyou to switch to it.

:p

But if did not have red button, no garantee would have had them two either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So what should be on the main stage of Glastonbury? I mean Jay Z killed it a few years ago, Beyonce knocked it out of the park/field, Metallica were awesome. So what quantifies a Glastonbury headliner in your book.

They were all ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,661 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Spiritualized on the red button :)

Spiritualized on the red button :)

And BBC2 too...........ahem!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Ah yeah...gonna be tired tomorrow. Love Spiritualized. Slow burn big endings great festival sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SmilesInMass

Been lurking boards for a while but been following this thread since the festival started and figured it'd be a good time to chime in after watching what'll more than likely be the most talked about set of the festival! First off I better say I'm a Kanye fan, and can definitely see someone who isn't a fan of his hating that set as he's not 100% hip hop, not 100% pop, not 100% anything really, just his own blend of the whole lot! But I thought it was brilliant. Didn't touch his Coachella set, which will clearly go down as his best show ever but it wasn't far off. Started off with all the 'bangers' to get the crowd hyped up, slight bit of a lull in the middle, seemed like there was some issues with the earpiece as he kept having to take it out and having the track start over but he brought it back in a big way at the end. Touch The Sky in a cherry picker? Madness.

Some of the comments about him just using a backing cd and rapping over it are well off the mark as well, he didn't have a live band like some hip hop artists would use in a live setting but none of the tracks sounded the same as they did on the album, he either had extra guitar or synth over them, even some of the older songs off the first album sounded brand new with the extras added in. Justin Veron coming in for Lost In The World, a track which he rarely does live was fitting as well, the closing track to his most well known album so fitting it was the only guest. Bar that and the backing singer who popped up near the end it was the Kanye show. He makes the beats, wrote the lyrics, designed the stage show(as minimal as it was), and preformed the whole thing by himself basically. Went into it expecting the Kanye show and that's what I got! Anyway, I'm rambling now, blame the beers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Birneybau wrote: »
    Suede's set was on BBC3

Oh, right; didn't realise that.

Missed out, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Been lurking boards for a while but been following this thread since the festival started and figured it'd be a good time to chime in after watching what'll more than likely be the most talked about set of the festival! First off I better say I'm a Kanye fan, and can definitely see someone who isn't a fan of his hating that set as he's not 100% hip hop, not 100% pop, not 100% anything really, just his own blend of the whole lot! But I thought it was brilliant. Didn't touch his Coachella set, which will clearly go down as his best show ever but it wasn't far off. Started off with all the 'bangers' to get the crowd hyped up, slight bit of a lull in the middle, seemed like there was some issues with the earpiece as he kept having to take it out and having the track start over but he brought it back in a big way at the end. Touch The Sky in a cherry picker? Madness.

Some of the comments about him just using a backing cd and rapping over it are well off the mark as well, he didn't have a live band like some hip hop artists would use in a live setting but none of the tracks sounded the same as they did on the album, he either had extra guitar or synth over them, even some of the older songs off the first album sounded brand new with the extras added in. Justin Veron coming in for Lost In The World, a track which he rarely does live was fitting as well, the closing track to his most well known album so fitting it was the only guest. Bar that and the backing singer who popped up near the end it was the Kanye show. He makes the beats, wrote the lyrics, designed the stage show(as minimal as it was), and preformed the whole thing by himself basically. Went into it expecting the Kanye show and that's what I got! Anyway, I'm rambling now, blame the beers ;)

Yeah Kanye was ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

No Rock Stars play "Rock" music.

Does Kanye Wests music resemble "Rock" music? No..
    .Kanye West fails to qualify as a Rock Star. Simple really.

Yeah, fine, know what you mean.

I mean attitude rather than genre of music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Jon Hopkins doing Electronic Music some justice compared to that rodent on the Other Stage.

Anyone watching that contortionist on bbc2 mother of divine....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,688 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

lertsnim wrote: »
    Listening to the BBC presenters going on about Kanye West. FFS. Jo Wiley wanted to say he was bollocks but obviously not allowed to.

i've worked previous Glasto's - and usually the BBC coverage is top's - this year and last its been very poor , they should have edited Kayes overblown mess , shown a few more quirky happenings and more (much more) obscure and better shows - that girl over-hyping Kanye was just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,661 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Paloma Faith is more talented than I thought :pac:

Paloma Faith is more talented than I thought :pac:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

hynesie08 wrote: »

Not so long ago, this was a Glastonbury headliner.

he's not 100% hip hop, not 100% pop, not 100% anything really

He's 0% Rockstar though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Drummer from Death From Above 1979 wearing a Sinead O'Connor t-shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Rose west would have done a better job...

So was this ;), possibly regarded as the 2 best headline acts in the one weekend of the festival , Neil Young performed on the Saturday night and Bruce on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Jo Whiley.
    **sigh**....

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SmilesInMass

He's 0% Rockstar though

Yeah I'd definitely agree with you on that part to be fair. From what I've seen Father John Misty has been the biggest rockstar of the weekend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

Jesus, that Suede gig was unbelievable. Great songs with great showmanship. Timeless stuff really. If some young whippersnappers were to release an album like Suede even today it would be acclaimed.

The Who were excellent in the Point the other night if that gig was next week it would've sold out hope they keep same form when they make their mark at Glasto 2moro night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

yep, INSANE!!

Advertisement