Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

After reading the excellent FAQ I'm a little clearer. The on-site accommodation options appear to be:-

1. Camping - tent pitch is included in ticket price, so just roll up with your own tent and pick a field, no need to prebook a spot.

2. Campervan/caravan - tickets on sale in April.

2. Worthy View glamping - on sale late October.

Have I got this right; are there any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Chelon wrote: »
    After reading the excellent FAQ I'm a little clearer. The on-site accommodation options appear to be:-

1. Camping - tent pitch is included in ticket price, so just roll up with your own tent and pick a field, no need to prebook a spot.

There's a few other options off site - just google for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Most of the additional off sites are in the plus thousand pound range. You've got the main options covered.

Keep in mind for all camping options that Glastonbury is incredibly large. You will be walking miles each day. Camp near where you want to be at the end of the night. Worthy View is a big slog up a high hill. It is however relatively near the late night stuff (stone circle is on the way).

The camping and various stages are integrated so it is perfectly possible to be camped in site of a stage so if you are big into late night dancing camp near Arcadia or the dance village.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Note that they do not reserve you a designated spot. :D

You get let in the gate with your tent, then it is a free for all and find yourself a bit of green grass in one of the camping fields. It will appear to be full whenever you get there, when you wake up the next morning there will be twice as many tents in spaces that you didn't think were possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

robinph wrote: »
    It will appear to be full whenever you get there, when you wake up the next morning there will be twice as many tents in spaces that you didn't think were possible.

At EP and the likes we'd generally have a little gazebo/marquee thing in the middle with all our tents facing inwards to it.,.....is it fair to assume the space under the marquee/gazebo would be filled by a tent when we wake up on the second day?

In fairness, 2 hopes I'm dragging a gazebo to England but you get what I mean...it gets that packed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Gazebos are now frowned upon in the main camping areas as so many people were taking them, and big massive tents, that the space gets used up way too quickly these days. It used to be lots of people in small 2 man tents, now you have people taking 6+ man tents for one person and there just isn't the space.

Unless you get there very early you'll struggle to find a big enough area to put up a gazebo anyway that you can then get your tents around. Save yourself the bother of carrying it too and from the car parks and stick with just the tents.

Noted!
    Cheers

Also Glastonbury isn't like other festivals where you'll spend six hours drinking at your tent before doing something. You can bring your cans anywhere you like so you can go find a pub or a stage or a tent or something and chill there.

So there's no problem bringing (a suitable amount of) cans into the stages?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

sebcity wrote: »
    So there's no problem bringing (a suitable amount of) cans into the stages?

Bring as many as you want. Its not like Electric Picnic where you have to go through Airport Security type screening to see if you are smuggling alcohol in :D The whole site is open plan so you can walk around all the stages with your own drink.

• Advertisement

gazzer wrote: »
    Bring as many as you want. Its not like Electric Picnic where you have to go through Airport Security type screening to see if you are smuggling alcohol in :D The whole site is open plan so you can walk around all the stages with your own drink.

WOHOOOO:D:D:D

Reading this it doesn't sound like they're allocating enough space for camping - I've been at festivals before where the tents were packed in like sardines but was expecting Glasto to be a bit more suss after all these years.

Or is there still plenty of space if you walk for ages way up the back of these fields, even if you can't get there until the Thurs or Friday?

Reading this it doesn't sound like they're allocating enough space for camping - I've been at festivals before where the tents were packed in like sardines but was expecting Glasto to be a bit more suss after all these years.

Or is there still plenty of space if you walk for ages way up the back of these fields, even if you can't get there until the Thurs or Friday?

There is a lot more space for camping than previously and also quite a lot more people. However people now bring much bigger tents than they used to, so despite the camping areas increasing more than the ticket numbers have, there can sometimes appear to be less space for your tent. There is still plenty of space if you head a bit further out of the center.

Here is a comparison between 2005 and 2009 maps and you can see how much the site has grown for camping areas, despite very little increase in ticket numbers during that time. My first year in '95 there was basically nothing south of the railway track. The railway track is the straightish line going from VG4 and south of The Glade on those maps:
    http://www.glastonburylineup.co.uk/php/interactivemap.html

There is more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

We were in Darble this year in the far north west corner, and had tons of room around our tent. I'd say it only ever reached about 1/3 capacity.

Downside was that it was a good distance from any of the late night activities. I'm a fast walker and Shangri La was a good hour away, hour and a half if it's busy.

It's hard to grasp, if you've never been, just how big the festival site is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Yea camp sites seemed pretty full last year! We stayed in river Meade it was full'ish but nothing like the other sites. Would have had plenty of room for a gazebo or more tents!
    It's beside pylon ground (but not under the pylons!) Worked out well because the pylons run East to west across the site, if we got proper lost it was just a matter of following the pylons home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Didn't manage to get tickets this year. (Might have another go in the tiny re-sale later in the year but not sure yet) Enjoy to all those going. It really is a special, special place.

Having a think about the Worthy Down glamping option; wouldn't normally but being my first Glasto it will be a special occasion ;-)

Anyone know if these will sell out fast, ie will it be best to book when they go on sale at end of October, or could you leave it till later on?

How difficult is it to get a campervan ticket?

Anyone know if these will sell out fast, ie will it be best to book when they go on sale at end of October, or could you leave it till later on?

Won't be an instant sell out but they will sell out quickly enough. If you want them get them as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Having a think about the Worthy Down glamping option; wouldn't normally but being my first Glasto it will be a special occasion ;-)

The larger options sell out straightaway. Tried to get ones that sleep 8 and 6 last year but they were gone by the time I got my credit card details typed.

Hiring a campervan over there is another comfy option, if there is enough of you to make it cheaper per person.

Didn't manage to get tickets this year :( Fingers crossed we are lucky in the resale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Worthy View accommodation on sale next Monday at 12 noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

So what are my chances of getting tickets and camper van tickets in the spring re-sale? Will the campers be gone by that stage??

Depends on who the headliners are who will probably be announced by that stage. If it is some ridiculous reunion / reemergence of a popular act it'll be harder. If it's Coldplay again you'll probably be ok.

Well just looked at 12.10 today and almost all the Worthy View accomm has gone...only things left are the scout tents which don't look very different to a standard tent which you could pitch for free.

Anyone else had any success?

Had forgotten about it. Would have grabbed a 2 person tent for myself had I been on the ball but not that torn up about it. Camped regularly last year and it was fine. Will have to find out if the rest of the group got their acts together or not to see if I'll be on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JackMcA

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/80753

not Fleetwood Mac or Queen says Eavis :O
    was sure Fleetwood Mac was one of them :/ Hoping for the Stone Roses at least now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I would honestly not trust a word that Eavis says.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

JackMcA wrote: »
    http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/80753

not Fleetwood Mac or Queen says Eavis :O
    was sure Fleetwood Mac was one of them :/ Hoping for the Stone Roses at least now

BOOOOURNS :( was really hoping Fleetwood Mac would be headlining!

Let's hope Eavis is lying through his teeth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well he didn't necessarily say that FM weren't playing.
    plus Eavis talks absolute ****e, like his "this years headliners have never played Glastonbury before" stuff last year.

Foo Fighters are likely according to people on efests as they're apparently not doing a few other UK festivals like Download and Reading&Leeds on their tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JackMcA

id keep an eye out on the Hyde Park gigs anouncemnts later
    they share a headliner with Glastonbury sometimes

Advertisement