Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Poetry

• 04-09-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm looking for a collection of Irish poems written in the 1700s/1800s that would be comprehensible to someone with school Irish and a good dictionary (i.e. not too archaic). I've just done my Leaving Cert and I want to use the Irish I've learned to read Irish that is as authentic as possible.
    Any suggestions?

If anyone is aware of a collection of Irish legends (the Fianna, Cu Chulainn and so on) as Gaeilge could you mention that too? Presumably such a collection would be a lot more recent than what I'm looking for in terms of poetry; that's totally fine.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Cuirt an Mheán Oíche/"The Midnight court" can be found online in both original Irish and in translation. It dates from circa 1780, the english language translation was banned by the Censorship board back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

ClovisI wrote: »
    I'm looking for a collection of Irish poems written in the 1700s/1800s that would be comprehensible to someone with school Irish and a good dictionary (i.e. not too archaic). I've just done my Leaving Cert and I want to use the Irish I've learned to read Irish that is as authentic as possible.
    Any suggestions?

An Duanaire, 1600-1900: Poems of the Dispossessed is still a superb anthology to introduce somebody to that poetry (English translations included). Eleanor Knott's Irish Syllabic Poetry (1957, originally 1928 but still in print) published a very fine study of the syllabic poetry which gave me at any rate a much deeper appreciation of it. I also enjoyed Seán Ó Tuama's overview of the period, Repossessions. Ó Tuama's An Grá in Amhráin na nDaoine and An Grá i bhFilíocht na nUaisle are still exceptional studies linking courtly love in Irish poetry back to Norman France, although I believe Micheál Mac Craith has challenged that view in recent years (haven't read Mac Craith, though).

Lastly, I presume you have already read Daniel Corkery's 1924 classic, The Hidden Ireland on the 18th-century Munster Aisling tradition. The Ulster poets Peadar Ó Doirnín (author of Mná na hÉireann), Art Mac Cumhaigh (author of Úr-Chill An Chreagáin), Cathal Buí Mac Giolla Ghunna (author of An Bonnán Buí) and Séamas Dall Mac Cuarta give a fantastic insight into the northern Aisling tradition during the late 17th/18th centuries, but I haven't read books on them (have superb notes from college though). What a world!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ClovisI

Thanks to both of you. An Duanaire especially sounds promising!

Advertisement