Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weighted pull-ups

Options
  • 04-09-2014 11:28am

Hi folks,

What kind of progression could be followed for weighted pull-ups?

My 1rm is 40kg. If I'm starting a 5 week programme that has 11 sessions with weighted pull-ups, what sort of progression could I use? I tried to figure something out earlier with percentages and Prilepin's table but I confused myself. I don't know how to programme for "simple" linear progression ... don't know where to start. I'd like to finish on the 11th session with something like my current 1rm (40kg) for sets of 2, or maybe even 45kg for sets of 1.

What's the easiest way to programme for that goal? Any links appreciated—for programming or even an existing pull-up programme.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You could set it up something like a Madcow-type program, e.g.

Week 1: Monday, warm up to a set of 5 with 30kg. Friday: Warm up to a set of 3 at 32.5
    Week 2: Monday = set of 5 at 32.5. Friday = set of 3 at 35.
    Week 3: Monday = set of 5 at 35. Friday = set of 3 at 37.5
    Week 4: Monday = set of 5 at 37.5. Friday = set of 3 at 40.
    Week 5: Monday set of 5 at 40. Friday = set of 3 at 42.5

Week 1: Monday, warm up to a set of 5 with 30kg. Friday: Warm up to a set of 3 at 32.5

Something like that might work, but I could see myself plateauing very quickly unless I started very low—finishing on a set of 5 at 30 and a set of 3 at 32.5, maybe. But then I'd have to start around 20 or 22.5kg. I might give this a go!

Starting Monday I'll be doing three 5-week blocks (15 weeks total) with 11 sessions that include pull-ups per 5-week block (so 33 sessions total). The 11th session of each block could be used to re-test, giving me a nice clean 10 sessions per 5 weeks. I'm trying to find the best way to maintain slow and steady progress—adding 5kg to my 1rm at the end of each 5-week block ideally. That'd bring me to a 55kg 1rm at the end of the 15 weeks and put me in a decent place to launch an attack on a three-plate pull-up, which is the end goal.

I was reading about a guy who applied Smolov Jr. to his weighted pull-ups with great success, which sounded ... ridiculous to me.

Edit: that all sounds very complicated.

gvn wrote: »
    Something like that might work, but I could see myself plateauing very quickly unless I started very low—finishing on a set of 5 at 30 and a set of 3 at 32.5, maybe. But then I'd have to start around 20 or 22.5kg. I might give this a go!

Yeah, the top set on a Monday is 5 reps with 30kg. On Friday the top set is 3 reps with 32.5kg

Yeah, the top set on a Monday is 5 reps with 30kg. On Friday the top set is 3 reps with 32.5kg

I'm getting too wound up about it, I think. I'll keep it simple: start off on day one with, say, +10kg 2x5, 1x5+, maybe followed by one set of BW x max, and add 1.25kg per session. Simple simple simple.

gvn wrote: »
    I'm getting too wound up about it, I think. I'll keep it simple: start off on day one with, say, +10kg 2x5, 1x5+, maybe followed by one set of BW x max, and add 1.25kg per session. Simple simple simple.

Yeah. You don't need to split it up into a 5-week cycle at that either.

• Advertisement

Yeah. You don't need to split it up into a 5-week cycle at that either.

It's easy to get caught up in the details...

I was sure that there would be (and there probably is) some calisthenics programme for weighted pull-ups. Couldn't find anything with Google that suited, though. Cheers, alf.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You've got the loads all wrong there. He'll never pull his 1RM for 5 after 4 weeks.

gvn, what do you weigh?
    You'd need to factor in that load when looking at pull ups, minus some for body weight not moving.

For a simple linear progression, take a manageable weight, less than your 5RM, and look for small consistant increases.

I had a nose about, and seen that you were c.90kg a while back. So working off that
    A BW pull-up is about an 80kg load (basing this off bodypart mass I have from a dexa scan, scaled up to 90kg).
    Your 1RM is 80kg+40kg = 120kg. A 1RM calc, puts your 5RM at 107kg, or in real terms 27kg. Does that sound right? 27.5kg for 5 strict reps?

A straight linear progression, with 1.25kg increases could be;

Starting 5RM 27.5kg x5
    Session 1 23.75kg x5
    Session 2 25.0kg x5
    Session 3 26.25kg x5
    Session 4 27.5kg x5
    Session 5 28.75kg x5
    Session 6 30.0kg x5
    Session 7 31.25kg x5
    Session 8 32.5kg x5
    Session 9 37.5kg x3
    Session 10 40.0kg x3
    Test Session 45.0kg x1

Or, a MadCow type, using 2.5kg could be;
    Starting 5RM 27.5kg x5
    Session 1 25.0kg x5
    Session 2 27.5kg x3
    Session 3 27.5kg x5
    Session 4 30.0kg x3
    Session 5 30.0kg x5
    Session 6 32.5kg x3
    Session 7 32.5kg x5
    Session 8 35.0kg x3
    Session 9 35.0kg x5
    Session 10 37.5kg x3
    Test Session 45.0kg x1

Cheers Mellor. That's the kind of progression I was looking for. Current BW is 94-95kg, and my 40kg max was done at this BW. The most I've done for 5 strict reps is +25kg, haven't tried higher and 5 reps at that weight was tough so I'd probably use 37.5kg as my max for calculation purposes.

I think I'm just going to keep things incredibly simple and start with 10kg, doing 2x5 and 1x5+, and add 1.25kg per session for as long as possible. When that stalls I'll drop back 10% and either 1) add .5kg per session for as long as possible, or 2) move to 2x3 and 1x3+ with 1.25kg increases.

Mellor wrote: »
    You've got the loads all wrong there. He'll never pull his 1RM for 5 after 4 weeks.

You can inform whoever developed the Madcow calculator in that case.

Plug in 40 as a 1RM and a PR after 5 weeks, as requested in the OP, and it looks like that.

But it was given as an indication of a progression over 5 weeks with 2 workouts a week.

• Advertisement

You can inform whoever developed the Madcow calculator in that case.

Plug in 40 as a 1RM and a PR after 5 weeks, as requested in the OP, and it looks like that.
    You should check MadCow again. It's based off you 5RM, not your 1RM

You hit your current 5rm in week 4, and a 5rm PR in week 5. What you posted was more than a 5rm in session 1.

MadCow is a great program, but to lift you current 1rm, for 5 rep after 4 or 5 weeks would require black magic.

You should check MadCow again. It's based off you 5RM, not your 1RM

You hit your current 5rm in week 4, and a 5rm PR in week 5. What you posted was more than a 5rm in session 1.

MadCow is a great program, but to lift you current 1rm, for 5 rep after 4 or 5 weeks would require black magic.

The calculator is flexible so you can amend the number of reps if you don't know 5RM.

As I said, the progression was indicative.

The calculator is flexible so you can amend the number of reps if you don't know 5RM.
    Yeah I know. If you plug in a 1rm, it estimates a 5rm to use.
    It still won't have you lifting you 1rm until close to the end. From memory, I think you hit your 1RM for 5 in week 10.

Anyway, I think the OPs probably gone off doing pull ups sonewhere.

Yeah I know. If you plug in a 1rm, it estimates a 5rm to use.
    It still won't have you lifting you 1rm until close to the end. From memory, I think you hit your 1RM for 5 in week 10.

Anyway, I think the OPs probably gone off doing pull ups sonewhere.

:D

Probably.

I plugged in the numbers and pasted what it gave. It only needs a little tweaking though. I don't think it was massively wrong.

But I don't think a 5-week programme is a good idea to get a new 1RM straight off the bat so I'd be looking at starting at a lot lower and building up steadily over 10-12 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 GerSmith

You could use the lat pulldown as assistance to helping you increase your pull-up strength. Make sure you are strict and forearms are vertical to the floor and train them with plenty of volume (but heavish weight 6-10reps per set)

Personally I have never chased a 1rm pull-up but have always targetted lat strength for benching / other lifts so the logic should still be the same in terms of progressing that.

Advertisement