Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible dog attack - are further laws required?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Unfortunately the government cant ban a certain demographic from owning dogs and we all know certain demographics gravitate to a certain type of dog. This same demographic has feral kids running about high drug abuse / crime in the area. Alot of the dog attacks come from these areas.
    So all the government can do is ban the breeds that end up on these areas. But we all know that does not work either. Simply because the gardai will only deal with serious crime. Dog law is way down the list at the moment and i dont see any changes for another 20 years.

Never a truer word. Scaldy, teenage yokes with big dogs trying to make people think they're big shots with big genitalia. Chronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Never a truer word. Scaldy, teenage yokes with big dogs trying to make people think they're big shots with big genitalia. Chronic.

I do agree to some extent but also think you are both being quite stereotypical. This video definitely needs to be watched! http://vimeo.com/53622294

Ashbx wrote: »
    I do agree to some extent but also think you are both being quite stereotypical. This video definitely needs to be watched! http://vimeo.com/53622294

I'll hold my hands up to that and admit I am. Of course there are exceptions in all walks however stereotypes don't come about spontaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I'll hold my hands up to that and admit I am. Of course there are exceptions in all walks however stereotypes don't come about spontaneously.

Oh I know. And it sad that most of the staffies and pitbulls etc. are owned by "hard" lads! I personally think pitbulls are gorgeous dogs! If I didn't have two dogs already I would strongly consider getting one.....and I live in "posh" dundrum! :)

Ashbx wrote: »
    Oh I know. And it sad that most of the staffies and pitbulls etc. are owned by "hard" lads! I personally think pitbulls are gorgeous dogs! If I didn't have two dogs already I would strongly consider getting one.....and I live in "posh" dundrum! :)

True! I used to work for an animal welfare organisation and we'd often get these "hard lads" in with their staffies - big babies is all they were. Crying at the sight of an injection lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

True! I used to work for an animal welfare organisation and we'd often get these "hard lads" in with their staffies - big babies is all they were. Crying at the sight of an injection lol.

I've found a lot of people who might look like "hard lads" adore their dogs and really take care of them. I've been guilty of judging the book before but try really hard not to now considering some of the best dog owners I've met have been "hard lads" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Dog attack here this mornin.
    gotta love when you have to rescue a sheep from being being torn apart just because some walker didn't keep their darling dog on a lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Had hare coursers out in the fields around me this morning :( Dogs completely out of control, on my land and others that don't allow it, but they don't care. Watched helplessly as 5 dogs chased a hare and tore it apart. I phoned the local farmer who came down, and then he went off to get another farmer, as they moved into a field with sheep. I went out and confronted them before the farmer arrived but they don't care, and the worrying thing is that they saw my dogs out in the yard, my back yard isn't visible from anywhere except my land and the neighbouring farmers'. All of my dogs are neutered, but that isn't obviously apparent.

Apparently the Gards get called whenever these lads turn up, but nothing ever seems to happen, back they come.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jeez muddypaws,
    We've come across the same problem before.
    Here's what helped...
    First, keep nagging the guards.
    Second, contact the local wildlife ranger: hare coursing is illegal. If reg numbers, times of appearance, locations of appearance etc can be gathered for them, it'll really help.
    Third, contact the nearest coursing club. The last thing they want is idiots out killing hares (that they want themselves, or which may have been recently released after being legally coursed), as it paints them in a bad light and they are subject to legislation: not that the lads you saw are members of any club, but one thing that's worse than members coursing illegally, is non-members coursing illegally. I don't know if you have an active legal coursing scene where you are, but it was these that were pretty instrumental in solving our problem.
    I in no way condone coursing by the way, it bloody horrifies me, we just happen to live amongst some coursing strongholds. They would always leave when told to, but they only stopped coming back when more pressure was put on them... not that it stops them, it just moves them on to another area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Thanks DBB, I didn't know it was illegal. I shouted at them that I'd phoned the Gards, but didn't actually bother, as I thought it was legal. I'll know next time. There were so many hares here when I first moved in, but I see fewer and fewer of them now, and the local farmer was saying the same.

• Advertisement

Oh! Glad to have cleared that element up for you anyway!
    Yes, the only legal coursing is "closed coursing" which must take place in an enclosed area, with dogs wearing muzzles (2 dogs per hare), the hares pre-trained to find the escape chute, and the club holding the event must be registered with the Irish Coursing Club (ICC). They have pretty strict rules regarding the welfare of the hares, they're not allowed run hares repeatedly and they have to release them back where they got them etc.
    Now, how strictly upheld these rules are I don't know as it's not a world I want anything to do with, but at least they can be held to account, and ICC hate bad press.

PS I absolutely love hares, every time I see one I have to stop and watch it until it goes out of sight. They are beautiful animals. The species we have here is unique to Ireland, nobody else has them. Their ancestors were Arctic hares, so in a really snowy winter, our lads still turn white or partially white! I saw a good few white hares in the snowy winters of 2010 and 2011 :) It INFURIATES me when people try to kill them, or bother them in any way, legally or illegally. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

DBB wrote: »
    Oh! Glad to have cleared that element up for you anyway!
    Yes, the only legal coursing is "closed coursing" which must take place in an enclosed area, with dogs wearing muzzles (2 dogs per hare), the hares pre-trained to find the escape chute, and the club holding the event must be registered with the Irish Coursing Club (ICC). They have pretty strict rules regarding the welfare of the hares, they're not allowed run hares repeatedly and they have to release them back where they got them etc.
    Now, how strictly upheld these rules are I don't know as it's not a world I want anything to do with, but at least they can be held to account, and ICC hate bad press.
    Thats very interesting, I didnt know that it was illegal. Its a problem where I stay sometimes so Ill definitely take steps to get it stopped now that I know I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Decuc500

It's not just hare coursing. Recently I saw two guys training greyhounds by releasing them into a field with a hare they had with them. We rang the gardai but absolutely nothing was done.

As long as there's money to be made in these industries nothing will be done to stop the cruelty associated with them. It's all part and parcel of living in this country unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

Decuc500 wrote: »
    It's not just hare coursing. Recently I saw two guys training greyhounds by releasing them into a field with a hare they had with them. We rang the gardai but absolutely nothing was done.

As long as there's money to be made in these industries nothing will be done to stop the cruelty associated with them. It's all part and parcel of living in this country unfortunately.

I know of a person catching rabbits and hares, he sells them for 20 euro a piece to greyhound owners for training purposes. Hes been reported several times and nothing has been done about it, absolutely sickening.

Who are these people being reported to? There is a bit of a tendency for the guards to not respond to complaints when there's already a state agency that deals with that particular area.
    So for people selling hares, which is absolutely illegal unless the hunter is acting under license, it'd be more effective to contact the nearest NPWS (National Parks and Wildlife) office, although wildlife rangers have become quite thin on the ground.
    Nagging goes a long way too!

Who are these people being reported to? There is a bit of a tendency for the guards to not respond to complaints when there's already a state agency that deals with that particular area.
    So for people selling hares, which is absolutely illegal unless the hunter is acting under license, it'd be more effective to contact the nearest NPWS (National Parks and Wildlife) office, although wildlife rangers have become quite thin on the ground.

How do we find contact details for these? We've had some issues up our way with shooting (I heard definite shots last night well past dark) and illegal use of scramblers on walkways. I called the guards (wrt the scramblers) and was told, "well we wouldn't be able to get a car up there" :(

If you click on the "contact us" link a short distance down this page, it'll dowload a pdf with the local and regional phone numbers... All landlines it seems, so probably worth ringing during office hours to see if you can get mobile numbers for the lads on the ground.
    http://www.npws.ie/contactus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

How do we find contact details for these? We've had some issues up our way with shooting (I heard definite shots last night well past dark) and illegal use of scramblers on walkways. I called the guards (wrt the scramblers) and was told, "well we wouldn't be able to get a car up there" :(

that is such a typical response.:mad:

Loads have reported it to the guards including myself but they throw a blind eye to it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Karen91 wrote: »
    I know of a person catching rabbits and hares, he sells them for 20 euro a piece to greyhound owners for training purposes. Hes been reported several times and nothing has been done about it, absolutely sickening.

I bought my daughters 2 rabbits when we moved house - we already had a guinea pig and put them out in 2 hutches. After 2 weeks I came home to find the hutches empty of rabbits but the guinea pig still in there.
    Been told since it was for baiting - hate to think of those poor things being decimated for fun. To me it's worse than doing it to a wild rabbit - at least a wild rabbit I might think someone might have had a good dinner.

I bought my daughters 2 rabbits when we moved house - we already had a guinea pig and put them out in 2 hutches. After 2 weeks I came home to find the hutches empty of rabbits but the guinea pig still in there.
    Been told since it was for baiting - hate to think of those poor things being decimated for fun. To me it's worse than doing it to a wild rabbit - at least a wild rabbit I might think someone might have had a good dinner.

Oh my god :( that is sick!! What kind of a person does that. Its been said in our area they have taken cats for baiting also, what is wrong with the world at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blah blah all dogs are evil, blah blah the streets are swimming in dog faeces, all dog owners are irrespnsible, blah de dah. Wont someone please think of the children. A dog doesn't attack unless provoked. Keep your child away from my dog, keep your dog away from my child. Dog sh1t, dog sh1t, dog sh1t...

These threads all follow the exact same script.

Everybody gets angry.

Nobody accommodates another's view.

Nothing is ever achieved.

:(

A very negative and exaggerated view and one you cannot prove. Are YOU open to change?

Nagging is grand ;) So is local knowledge especially in rural areas.

PS I absolutely love hares, every time I see one I have to stop and watch it until it goes out of sight. They are beautiful animals. The species we have here is unique to Ireland, nobody else has them. Their ancestors were Arctic hares, so in a really snowy winter, our lads still turn white or partially white! I saw a good few white hares in the snowy winters of 2010 and 2011 :) It INFURIATES me when people try to kill them, or bother them in any way, legally or illegally. Disgusting.

There are hares on the private lane here and I always stop the car when I see them, watch them bounding along. Beautiful

Advertisement