Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia vs Ireland - Group D Euro Qualifier - 07/09/2014 - 17:00

• 04-09-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Live on RTE 2

HLFFB0k.png

Georgia_football_association.png

fai_crest_col-145x145.jpg

The good news
    - Ireland have a good record against 5th seed opposition
    - The Irish team are still favourites. Bookies aren't mugs and all that!
    - The football isn't as bad to watch as when Trap was in charge
    - Seamus Coleman

The bad news:
    - The atmosphere will be intimidating. Georgia get good crowds even against moderate/weak opposition. Crowd of around 25k to be expected
    - Georgia have a history of giving bigger teams than Ireland a bloody nose in Tbilisi. Drew against France in World Cup qualifying and Spain squeaked by courtesy of a goal in the last few minutes
    - The weakest group of Irish players in a generation

Probable team:

Forde
    Coleman
    O'Shea
    Wilson
    Ward
    McGeady
    McCarthy
    Whelan
    Brady
    Hoolahan/Long
    Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This is going to be very tough.

If this was a normal qualfiying campaign (i.e. with only one team going through) then I would say that it is a must win.

It is probably possible to draw this and and still finish second but you would expect whoever finished second will win a game like this.

Can't wait. I'd be lieing if I said I had noticed a massive difference in the way O'Neill's Ireland play compared to Trap's but I could care less about open expansive football in Tblisi - the result is all-important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Seems like we have played Georgia at the start of every recent campaign!

Hoping the Everton boys can carry some good early form into this game and get us started with 3 points before we hammer the Germans in October.
    COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Be nice to get 3 points but a draw would not be a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No Noble?

Pity.

In fairness, he hasn't announced anything yet.

Even if he does and a passport is fast tracked then we are talking October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I think for away games like this and against the better sides in the group, I would have Long upfront and Hoolahan in behind. This would ensure the ball won't be coming back as much, as Long is much better at ball retention/holding it up than Keane. Can't afford to be kicking possession away like we did under Trap. Keane at least would be held in reserve if a goal was needed.

Won't happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I reckon we will qualify or get third spot for playoff, but I would be a lot more hopeful if Dunne hadnt retired and Ward wasnt in the scenario...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,949 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

pity the all ireland hurling final is on at 3.30 sunday so i have to miss the first half of the soccer.

0-0 draw for me in the soccer

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can see Georgia getting something out of this

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I think we'll be doing well to get a 0-0 and that's exactly what we'll be playing for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm tired already thinking of how boring this match is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Looking forward to this. MON's first competitive game in charge.

I think the team will be up for it, we'll play some good football and most important we'll get a win.

COYBIG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The Americans aren't that good at football, 3-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. MON's first competitive game in charge.

I think the team will be up for it, we'll play some good football and most important we'll get a win.

COYBIG.

Good to see a positive post. :) thank you sir. I agree i think we might just get a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

PTH2009 wrote: »
    pity the all ireland hurling final is on at 3.30 sunday so i have to miss the first half of the soccer.

Glad you specified which sport the 0-0 will be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Arrived in Tbilisi today!

As an Everton fan who lived in Georgia for two years, speaks the language etc., you can't even begin to imagine how psyched I am about this game :D I'm going to be in with the home fans.

Speaking to the locals, they're pretty confident about it, and think they have a good chance of 3rd in the group (deluded, maybe). Unfortunately, I think both sides will be content with a 0-0 draw, and it's not going to be a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ireland were second seeds, a draw with the 5th seeds simply isnt good enough. I wonder how much influence Keane has, because the ah itll do mentality needs to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I've no idea what Georgia are like but I've seen enough of Ireland under O'Neill to realize we are a very blunt instrument. I see in Georgia's nine competitive home games under Ketsbaia they've been very tight and had 3x 1-0, 3x 0-1, 2x 0-0, which suggests to me we're looking at about as certain a 0-0 as you can have in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

PTH2009 wrote: »

The hurling will as usual be great so I wouldn't be too worried about missing the first half. Or the second,for that matter...have a feeling this will be brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Lets be straight about it aswell, if we can't beat Georgia twice this campaign we dont deserve to be anywhere near the Euro's. Its as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going for 0-0 or 0-1. Think we might just nick it but its hard to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I'm surprised people are giving Georgia so much credit, they are a realy bad team. We aren't great ourselves but should win this fairly comfortably. Prediction 3-0 Ireland. I hope Given doesn't start, he needs regular gametime to justify being our number 1 keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

No Noble?

Pity.

Sorry but listening to an interview with him during week, on Off the ball, I don't want marky mark wearing the green jersey.

As regards the game - yeah I think team Ireland will be happy with point, I still have feeling they are quite raw yet under new set up and as another poster above me pointed out we are pretty toothless up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Columbia wrote: »
    Arrived in Tbilisi today!

As an Everton fan who lived in Georgia for two years, speaks the language etc., you can't even begin to imagine how psyched I am about this game :D I'm going to be in with the home fans.

Speaking to the locals, they're pretty confident about it, and think they have a good chance of 3rd in the group (deluded, maybe). Unfortunately, I think both sides will be content with a 0-0 draw, and it's not going to be a great game.

What's the expected attendance? I see that the stadium has been renovated since we last played there. running track should make it harder to throw those pen knives! Any players we should keep an eye out for? Any young Kinkladze's?

I'm surprised people are giving Georgia so much credit, they are a realy bad team. We aren't great ourselves but should win this fairly comfortably. Prediction 3-0 Ireland. I hope Given doesn't start, he needs regular gametime to justify being our number 1 keeper.
    roanoke wrote: »
    I've no idea what Georgia are like but I've seen enough of Ireland under O'Neill to realize we are a very blunt instrument. I see in Georgia's nine competitive home games under Ketsbaia they've been very tight and had 3x 1-0, 3x 0-1, 2x 0-0, which suggests to me we're looking at about as certain a 0-0 as you can have in football.

These two posts don't tally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Bad game to have to sit through after the hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I reckon we will scrap this game with a 1-0 win but will be very tough.

I see that the stadium has been renovated since we last played there. running track should make it harder to throw those pen knives!
    ?

The 2003 game was played at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikheil_Meskhi_Stadium which is a different stadium located several km away from tomorrows venue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Paichadze_Dinamo_Arena

But yes, the running track should make it more challenging to hit our players with penknives, bottles, ball bearings etc. :pac:

The hurling may be a good game...but I couldn't care less who wins.

On the other hand the football may be a poor game...but I care very much about the result.

I'd happily take a win and it won't bother me how ugly it comes or how boring the game is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Will there be much of an overlap between this match and the hurling?

I was thinking of going to the pub for it but I don't fancy sitting there watching farmers with sticks instead of the soccer match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

noodler wrote: »
    These two posts don't tally!

What are you failing to understand? I was at the Ireland v Georgia game last year where we hammered them, they were absolutely terrible. If we can't beat them on Sunday we may as well throw in the towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Daniel McDonnell @McDonnellDan
    Martin O’Neill at presser in response to Shay Given question: “I know the team I’m going to pick but I haven’t told the players yet."

Have a sneaky feeling Shay will start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yes.
    I can understand keeping the team/ formation secret, but obviously who starts in goal won't influence the opposition team's tactics.
    It is a little odd MOM won't say.

Also it's a huge gamble in his first competitive match, as Given has not played much football at all recently.

Half a match v Oman where he had little to nothing to do don't really prepare you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

What's the expected attendance? I see that the stadium has been renovated since we last played there. running track should make it harder to throw those pen knives! Any players we should keep an eye out for? Any young Kinkladze's?

All-in-all Georgia have selected a young squad, so I really don't know much/anything about the individual players. Jano Ananidze could be a threat as an attacking midfielder, he's only 21 but already has good experience for the national team and in Russia. I'm expecting more from their defense than their attack though, I hope Robbie has his poacher boots on because we're not going to get too many chances.

But the closer we get to game-time the more I'm imagining a dirty 1-0 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No Bill though :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would be very pissed off if Shay starts. I absolutely love Shay and thank him for all he's done for the team over the years, but it's an insult to Forde who has done fantastically since he's stepped up and is at least is playing regularly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

We are no world beaters but we are better than this lot. Do the basics right, put on a decent performance, get the crowd on their backs and I reckon we'll win this.

Wont be easy by any stretch but I reckon a 0-2 win to ourselves. A goal in each half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Aenaes wrote: »
    Will there be much of an overlap between this match and the hurling?

I was thinking of going to the pub for it but I don't fancy sitting there watching farmers with sticks instead of the soccer match.

Youre from Wicklow.

Would be very pissed off if Shay starts. I absolutely love Shay and thank him for all he's done for the team over the years, but it's an insult to Forde who has done fantastically since he's stepped up and is at least is playing regularly.

Forde had some good games to date for Ireland but he also committed some howlers in that game against Portugal that made seriously question him as a starter.

I've been a critic of Given in the past (especially all throughout the 2011-12 season) but if he is the best of the 5 or so keepers we have right now then he should get the place. That's not to say I'm convinced, but I can't say I'm any more convinced of Forde either at this point.

TBH I'm wondering why Westwood has been frozen out. I can't recall him having any shockers for Ireland (even in that 1-6 v Germany) and he's back playing regular football too.

Whatever though, it's ironic that we've never such a wide selection of keepers as right now, just that none of them look particularly capable or promising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Fudge You wrote: »
    Youre from Wicklow.

His location is set as Wicklow, that doesn't mean he is from Wicklow.

Similarly, I might be monitoring your internet traffic from the basement of the CIA's headquarters in Langley, Virginia but that doesn't mean I'm an American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Forde starts. Correct call I reckon. Looking forward to this now. Although it has the potential to be the worst game of football I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Pighead wrote: »
    Forde starts. Correct call I reckon. Looking forward to this now. Although it has the potential to be the worst game of football I've ever seen.

Where's the starting lineup can you post it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

has the team been named?

Augmerson wrote: »
    His location is set as Wicklow, that doesn't mean he is from Wicklow.

Similarly, I might be monitoring your internet traffic from the basement of the CIA's headquarters in Langley, Virginia but that doesn't mean I'm an American.

What are you on about? Seriously, why are even posting???

I meant his location is Wicklow, and he slags the farmers playing with sticks. So therefore he is a gobsht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Georgia are no pushovers at home, I think we will struggle imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Fudge You wrote: »
    What are you on about? Seriously, why are even posting???

I meant his location is Wicklow, and he slags the farmers playing with sticks. So therefore he is a gobsht

So I'm a "gobsht" cos I don't like hurling. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Any news on the team yet?

Wonder if Monkeano will be announcing the starting 11 as late as possible (unlike Trapp).

Aenaes wrote: »
    So I'm a "gobsht" cos I don't like hurling. Thanks :)

Yes.
    But not cause you dont like hurling, cause of your comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Republic of Ireland XI v Georgia: Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, Wilson, Ward; McCarthy, Whelan, Quinn, Walters, McGeady, Keane.

From paddypower on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Republic of Ireland XI v Georgia: Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, Wilson, Ward; McCarthy, Whelan, Quinn, Walters, McGeady, Keane.

From paddypower on Twitter.

People will nitpick, but that team is fine imo. Should do the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement