Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia vs Ireland - Group D Euro Qualifier - 07/09/2014 - 17:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

If Dunphy tried to take O'Neill on face to face (verbally) O'Neill would have him for breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Martin O'Neill not taking crap from Tony O'Donoghue.

O'Donoghue got it easy bullying Trapp over the years - he won't find it so easy to bully O'Neill.

You think Tony bullied Trap??? I dont think you remember the interviews at all. I completely disagree with you, hard questions does not equal bullying...

Also, Does anyone remember when we beat Kazakhstan with a late winner by Doyle a few years ago in the first game of a qualifying campaign, and Brady said it was a hard place to go and win, but he wont say it about Georgia, and it is such a similar situation...
    So he was just picking up for his buddy Trap over the last few years since he came back onto the panel after working with Trap.
    Shame on Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Funny how today's outcome was practically a repeat of the Kazakhstan opener 2 years ago.

However (bad as it may have been) I'd take today's performance over that one anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

frimpong wrote: »
    Tony questioned Martin on a very poor performance and instead of answering the question, Martin dodged it and went on the offensive. How can people be happy with that?

I was Tony can be a tit, ONeill spoke perfect sense. Delighted to have a manager he can give it back

If Dunphy tried to take O'Neill on face to face (verbally) O'Neill would have him for breakfast.

All day long. Eamon hasn't a clue about modern day football

• Advertisement

Delighted to see O Neill put O'Donohoe in his place. How that chap has a job is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Piece of genius from McGeady :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Soups123 wrote: »
    I was Tony can be a tit, ONeill spoke perfect sense. Delighted to have a manager he can give it back
    No he didn't. He dodged the question and took a shot at Tony, then started talking a load of ****e about how we're playing away so everything's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

bur wrote: »
    So everyone here is delighted with that performance?
    No. Everybody here is delighted with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Tony questioned Martin on a very poor performance and instead of answering the question, Martin dodged it and went on the offensive. How can people be happy with that?

It's the best performance I've seen in years.

I never knew our players could move so fast. It was like watching the Trapp era on fast forward.

We also had 54% of the posession. If that was a Trap team we'd have 40% and have spend the last 15 minutes under siege.

I saw lots of improvements tonight and it was only our first competitive game under O'Neill.

We are not world beaters.

RTE panel being just as deluded about our team as they alway accuse the English media being.

Georgia are a better team than they think (because they don't play in the Premier Leauge) and we are not as great as they think we are (still living in the '90s).

• Advertisement

Agreed.
    Like a lot of mangers and footballers talk rubbish... O Neill was asked the question and wouldnt just answer it.
    Roy Keane always answered questions when he was a manager. No bull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Just going through this thread now and by god there's an awful lot of wánkers in here, get behind you're country FFS! :D

No he didn't. He dodged the question and took a shot at Tony, then started talking a load of ****e about how we're playing away so it doesn't matter how we played.

Made more sense than Tony or anyone in the studio.

He was spot on, first game, away from home, against a team bigger and better countries have fared worse than us and his first time with a full squad. All makes sense.

If in games to come we don't see improvement fair enough but this is the first game he got to play where he could analysis and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ah look, it took a great goal to equalise and our winner was amazing.

We're not that great and it doesn't look like we will be for quite some time but if we're going to encourage moments of quality like that then it'll be a good ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fudge You wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Like a lot of mangers and footballers talk rubbish... O Neill was asked the question and wouldnt just answer it.
    Roy Keane always answered questions when he was a manager. No bull

Really?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Delighted to see O Neill put O'Donohoe in his place. How that chap has a job is beyond me
    Did O'Donohoe say anything overly negative? I think his words were in general a reflection of how everybody felt about the match. We played poorly but stole a result. Thought O'Neill's reaction was a bit ott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

My wife commented to me after that game that the guys in the studio sound like they wanted Ireland to lose tonight. I could not disagree with her about that. The 3 amigos are well past their sell by date

nuxxx wrote: »
    Really?

:pac:

Haha, awww come on...
    We both know Keane answered that question the week before.

And this interview was way better than O'Neill.
    O'Neill came across like a politician, turning the question around, blaming the interviewer being too negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Pighead wrote: »
    Did O'Donohoe say anything overly negative? I think his words were in general a reflection of how everybody felt about the match. We played poorly but stole a result. Thought O'Neill's reaction was a bit ott.

martin just asked him to look pleased... he did say he was delighted inside after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Result is all that matters. I could see one of Scotland or Poland blowing up over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

The Scots & Poles will not be happy with us knicking it at the end. Great result!!!
    Also, fairplay Norn Iron...

Pighead wrote: »

O'Donohoe has previous when Trap was in charge. He was a disgrace on a few occasions.

Perhaps the current regime just have no time for him.

Ftr, I think O Neill probably did over react but no harm imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

ebbsy wrote: »
    Result is all that matters. I could see one of Scotland or Poland blowing up over there.

I can well see Georgia being kingmakers in regards to second spot in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That was a real Trap performance!

Utterly forgetable but 3 points. Agree they will take points off teams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

nbar12 wrote: »
    The Scots & Poles will not be happy with us knicking it at the end. Great result!!!
    Also, fairplay Norn Iron...

Yep well done to the North. It's a shame that their fans won't be happy with our result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    That was a real Trap performance!

Utterly forgetable but 3 points. Agree they will take points off teams

All depends when Scotland and Poland have to play them away.

Anyone know when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Why are people using the word 'stole'? We were the only team who looked like they even wanted to attack. A lot of the time it fizzled out but we got the ball back fairly quickly upon most restarts, which is very different under Trap. Didnt play great but scored the winner cos we tried, something Georgia stopped doing in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Poland and Germany are off to flying starts anyway, Scotland giving it to the Germans from the start though , They creaked but now Germany back on top and should push on i reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Hope Germany stuff the b*stards. Get a bit of confidence down nice and early :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

D'ont want Scotland to get anything out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Don't worry Scotland are getting nothing, and the ref is making sure of it.

The Germans are being offered amazing protection here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Yeah Germany need the ref's help alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That looks like a much weaker German team than we'll probably face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

My wife commented to me after that game that the guys in the studio sound like they wanted Ireland to lose tonight. I could not disagree with her about that. The 3 amigos are well past their sell by date

I agree with that. Georgia away is tricky. Ireland didn't play well as regards linking up play etc., but it was the first competitive game under O'Neill. Great result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I agree with that. Georgia away is tricky. Ireland didn't play well as regards linking up play etc., but it was the first competitive game under O'Neill. Great result.

When you play a target man on the wing and leave your best link up player (Hoolahan) on the bench, that's going to be an issue alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Did not see any of game?....who played best for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Did not see any of game?....who played best for Ireland?

Quinn played very well I thought and of course, McGeady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Great time to play Germany, bit of a hangover from the world cup, Scotland could nick something here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Good win. So what it wasnt the best game we have ever played a win is a win. Every 3 points we get are very welcome. Regarding the boys in studio, they are really negative they are like 3 bitter old men hoping we will fail so they will have something to give out about. I used to enjoy listening to the lads give their views but not no more as its just whinge after whinge.

I for one am delighted we won i thought we played good football at times but of course we were a bit too sloopy at times but we can improve. Our football will get better and we should all going well get second place.

I would bet anything that Scotland and Poland will struggle to get a result in Georgia and Germany will win maybe 2 or 3 - 0 at most. Its not an easy place to go so i think we should be happy we got the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

obezyana wrote: »
    Good win. So what it wasnt the best game we have ever played a win is a win. Every 3 points we get are very welcome. Regarding the boys in studio, they are really negative they are like 3 bitter old men hoping we will fail so they will have something to give out about. I used to enjoy listening to the lads give their views but not no more as its just whinge after whinge.

I for one am delighted we won i thought we played good football at times but of course we were a bit too sloopy at times but we can improve. Our football will get better and we should all going well get second place.

I would bet anything that Scotland and Poland will struggle to get a result in Georgia and Germany will win maybe 2 or 3 - 0 at most. Its not an easy place to go so i think we should be happy we got the win.

That's all well in good, but lets see how far we getting playing like that against Poland, Scotland and Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

We shouldn't play our only ball playing midfielder in advanced midfield. We should play him deep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    That's all well in good, but lets see how far we getting playing like that against Poland, Scotland and Germany.

Well Poland and Scotland aint great shakes either. I think a draw in Poland and we beat them at the Aviva. There is no reason why we shouldnt beat Scotland home and away even if we play like we did today, which was not that bad but not great either and tbf Scotland are starting to believe the mysterious hype that is surrounding them about being a good team. Yes they have improved under Strachan but no so much that it should worry Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Good win today. Georgia made it very difficult for us with the way they played. We didn't play well but it seemed like a typical early season performance so i'd be hopeful we'll improve a bit. Happy we at least tried to play and didn't just cede possession and impetus to the opposition as Traps side did. We are an average enough team though.

Hasn't taken long for the RTE boys to turn on the new manager. Why it never occurs to them that the players are ultimately responsible for what goes on on the pitch i'll never know. You'd swear the manager is responsible for programming mindless automatons the way they talk about the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Disgraceful attitude by O'Neill in post match interview with o'donoghue. It's like Trap Mk II except worse as he has his little boot boy beastie roy in tow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Scots gone level, well deserved too and not the 'well deserved cause they made some effort' but genuinely have been by far the better team this second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Twas Not wrote: »
    Disgraceful attitude by O'Neill in post match interview with o'donoghue. It's like Trap Mk II except worse as he has his little boot boy beastie roy in tow

What's your problem with Keane and O'Neil? You've made about 6 derogatory comments today about the management team with little basis or no alternatives put forward

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Great goal for scotland to go level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Great goal. The Scots look like a handy side. A point for them in Germany is something Ireland wouldn't even dream of. What the f*** has happened with Germany though?! They looked sharp to begin with. I suppose it shows that complacency can bring down even the mightiest of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

They're missing a lot of players and are having a World Cup hangover.

Something like 3 of last 4 World Cup winners didn't even make it out of their group at the next World Cup.

It's a shocking stat, but shows how much complacency can set in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement