Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia vs Ireland - Group D Euro Qualifier - 07/09/2014 - 17:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Great result , we needed 3 points here to be in with any chance come the end of qualifiers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Benteke wrote: »
    Top of the group, Would have been +2 GD if Given was playing though

Ha, haha, good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

A good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

This has to be the end of Keane being a certain to start. A legend but the legs are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Twas Not wrote: »
    Good. If may be what's needed for fresh management.

Again, who do you want as management? You have made continuously negative comments about the management team and players.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Roy and Martin, sort out this mess. If you want to play 1 up top it can't be Keane.

Well please do share your wisdom with us. What should they do since you know it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Roy and Martin, sort out this mess. If you want to play 1 up top it can't be Keane.

Come on it's not a mess far from it. First competitive game away in Georgia, never looked like losing.

Countries bigger and better have done far worse than us here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Delighted with the win, phew!

Two quality strikes from McGeady.

A heap of stuff to be ironed out though.

Walters and Coleman do not mix.
    Keane cannot, and cannot be expected to play that system.
    Ward is a major weak link and offers nothing going forward.
    The centre of midfield needs sorting out, no cohesion or creativity.

I feel we will nick a goal

I knew it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Oh look, Coleman gets on the ball and we score

on this.

It was ridiculous that it was so obvious that Coleman had the killing of their left flank yet we couldn't engineer the game to exploit it better.

on we go though. A win is a win.

• Advertisement

This has to be the end of Keane being a certain to start. A legend but the legs are gone.

Should be as a lone front man but still a starter with two up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    This will put pressure on Poland and Scotland to get a result in Georgia.

that is the most important aspect of the result , scotland lost there a few years ago , i would expect poland to win out there though , the performance was'nt fantastic but we look a better side under o'neill , i doubt we would have got the same outcome with trapatoni's tactics out there tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is the German Game on TV i know the Gibralter one is on Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I don't care if we deserved it or if it looked good. We've been plucky losers enough times, I'll take 3 points.

Did posters in here expect us to beat Georgia away 4 or 5 nil?????

We are outside the top 60 teams in the world right now incase anyway forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Fudge You wrote: »
    Well please do share your wisdom with us. What should they do since you know it all!

Keane shouldn't start, if they can't see that that then we are not going anywhere.

Whelan isn't good enough to start games, doesn't add anything to the team.

Need to have other tactics that get players in the game, we didn't even have a plan B. Mcgeady was the only reason we got 3 points today and had we walked away with a draw the blame should be firmly at the management.

I was impressed with Quinn. Didn't boss the midfield by any stretch of the imagination, but at least he wanted the ball.

that is the most important aspect of the result , scotland lost there a few years ago , i would expect poland to win out there though , the performance was'nt fantastic but we look a better side under o'neill , i doubt we would have got the same outcome with trapatoni's tactics out there tonight

Not sure Poland would win there at all. They were dreadful in their WC qualifying campaign and could only draw against the likes of Moldova.

Keane shouldn't start, if they can't see that that then we are not going anywhere.

Need to have other tactics that get players in the game, we didn't even have a plan B. Mcgeady was the only reason we got 3 points today and had we walked away with a draw the blame should be firmly at the management.

Ah give over being so negative.

The reality is that we went somewhere that is notoriously difficult to win, and we won. Ireland were the only team going for the win there this evening and they got it.

Fully deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Fudge You wrote: »
    Did posters in here expect us to beat Georgia away 4 or 5 nil?????

We are outside the top 60 teams in the world right now incase anyway forgot.

No, not at all.

I thought it would be close, but not as close or as bad as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

3 points is 3 points.

Bring on the next match.

Brady is a hypocrite when he was with Trap he 'd have declared this job done good performance and excellent result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

It's good not to peak at the start of a campagin...the Germans are in for a hammering from us on this display...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Soups123 wrote: »
    Brady is a hypocrite when he was with Trap he 'd have declared this job done good performance and excellent result

He's a company-man to the bitter end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

SlickRic wrote: »
    on this.

It was ridiculous that it was so obvious that Coleman had the killing of their left flank yet we couldn't engineer the game to exploit it better.

on we go though. A win is a win.

Coleman is never going to be near the player he is at club level with so much defensive responsibly at Ireland. He should be pushed forward or have one of the midfielders defensive job to cover his runs so he can get up there more.

• Advertisement

Should be as a lone front man but still a starter with two up front

Can't think of too many games where you could play a four man midfield at international level and expect to get away with it tbh.

And what might these world class tactics be???

Please send your CV to the FAI quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Ronnie "ll take it all back" Whelan,.... and say exactly the same things about McGeady the next time I comment on him.

Can't think of too many games where you could play a four man midfield at international level and expect to get away with it tbh.

Home via Scotland, Poland, Gibraltar & Georgia and away against Gibraltar you want Keane starting in a front two

Home via Scotland, Poland, Gibraltar & Georgia and away against Gibraltar you want Keane starting in a front two

Gibraltar and (maybe) Scotland for me. 5 man midfield for all the rest, irrespective of venue.

• Advertisement

Martins on the money, first game, first time with full team and away from home

Job done people need to be realistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Firstly...

Whelan is playing in McCarthy's position.
    Then you get a creative player or two in there.
    There is no balance out right to get the best from Seamie, Walters needs to go.
    Surely there is a better left back than Ward?
    Once that is done, things can progress.

Love how o neill dealt with O donoghue he can be such a dick in the post match interviews

Gibraltar and (maybe) Scotland for me. 5 man midfield for all the rest, irrespective of venue.

I think Poland are worse than Scotland!

Were ever he plays he has a big part to play wether it's from the start or off the bench

Love how o neill dealt with O donoghue he can be such a dick in the post match interviews

And got the studio's goat up. Eamon talking crap now

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Martin O'Neill not taking crap from Tony O'Donoghue.

O'Donoghue got it easy bullying Trapp over the years - he won't find it so easy to bully O'Neill.

Scotland are full of confidence and they'll be no pushovers 6 games unbeaten i think

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Here we go. Dunphy having a go at an ireland manager. Never seen that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

So everyone here is delighted with that performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

O'Neill looks like another manager who prefers the bunker to the dress circle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

dunphy going spare on martin's comments.

we all want ireland to do well.... coming from the guy who wore cameroon colours in the 2002 world cup. time to be put out to pasture.

the media can comment, and the management deserve to defend themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

F**k off you dinosaur, Dunphy.

microsim wrote: »
    Here we go. Dunphy having a go at an ireland manager. Never seen that before.

The RTE should have moved him on with Bill going. Same with John they've no clue about modern day football.

There was a great chance to freshen and make a genuine analysis team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Scotland are full of confidence and they'll be no pushovers 6 games unbeaten i think

Their confidence will take a knock by the time we meet them... hopefully :pac:

The RTE should have moved him on with Bill going. Same with John they've no clue about modern day football.

There was a great chance to freshen and make a genuine analysis team

A job with RTE is a job for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

All this, media this media that.

Can we not just get behind the team win, lose or draw. It is almost turning into the English International set-up with every Tom, Dick and Harry waiting to s*ite all over the team and what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

A bit of magic from McGeady... Hopefully that could become a bit of a catchphrase for this campaign because I see feck all of where else it'll come from, especially since the manager doesn't seem so sweet on Hoolahan. McGeady, though, was great for his two goals alone and hopefully this can be the campaign where he really flourishes in an Ireland shirt as it's long overdue.

Awful game, though, for Ireland overall. Yes it's nice to have the three points but it doesn't give any confidence that they'll be able to put a game to Scotland or Poland. Germany, well we just have to hope that their strikers will pause and think sentimentally of their Ferienhauser on the west coast before pulling the trigger on that 4th, 5th, or 6th goal. As far as Ireland looking controlling the game, I don't think so. Georgia looked far more comfortable on the ball and more incisive. Ireland were just plagued by the same old problems tonight and manager in - manager out nothing ever seems to change. At this rate I see Ireland fighting for the 3rd place play-off spot but on paper it shouldn't be that way. However, that's the way it is. Hope for things to change, hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm absolutely delighted with the 3 points, it's a huge result.

Performance was very poor though, midfield was all wrong and Keane can't play the role he was asked to play.

Hopefully MON and Keane will sort for the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Germany, Poland, Scotland and Rep of Ireland.
    RoI has the least football pedigree, it won't be easy qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Tony questioned Martin on a very poor performance and instead of answering the question, Martin dodged it and went on the offensive. How can people be happy with that?

Advertisement