Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to edit & make permanent changes to web pages online ?

• 04-09-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi I need some technical advice on web pages,

Is it possible for you to log into a particular website, make changes to the site like with text & imagery (only way I know how to do this is through inspect element but it's not exactly what I'm looking for) save those changes, log out, log back in & those changes remain in tact ?

If it is possible how do you go about doing that, or is there a piece of software that you can use to help with this ?

If I'm not posting this in an ideal area could you please advise me on where I might find the best advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

If you are the owner of the website then you can alter it via the cpanel or HTML code.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dreamland4321

davo2001 wrote: »
    If you are the owner of the website then you can alter it via the cpanel or HTML code.

What if I don't own the site but you could still log in & out, like if the site was produced & owned by oracle for example

I'm a bit of a n00b in this area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Unless you are the site admin with access to wherever the site is hosted, you can't edit the website yourself, esp. if you don't own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

What if I don't own the site but you could still log in & out, like if the site was produced & owned by oracle for example

I'm a bit of a n00b in this area

I'm not sure I follow you.

If you have login privileges to the site in question then it's just a matter of using the CMS that runs the site to make edits.

If you do not have access privileges to the site then you are talking about hacking, which of course is illegal.

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Unless you are the site admin with access to wherever the site is hosted, you can't edit the website yourself, esp. if you don't own it.

Theres no possible way that I could do it through a link, similar to using inspect element saving it clicking on the link & reappearing with the changes ?

Its not a site I own and its not a site I created

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I follow you.

If you have login privileges to the site in question then it's just a matter of using the CMS that runs the site to make edits.

If you do not have access privileges to the site then you are talking about hacking, which of course is illegal.

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

I probably haven't explained it well

I can log in & out

I can access it but I don't own or run the site

I doont have any intention to hack a site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Dreamweaver is web editing software. However it is a bit too complex for beginners. As a nOOb you should pick up a hardcopy book along the lines of web pages for dummies
    Or the like.

gugleguy wrote: »
    Dreamweaver is web editing software. However it is a bit too complex for beginners. As a nOOb you should pick up a hardcopy book along the lines of web pages for dummies
    Or the like.

If you're using dreamweaver do you have to create your own site to use it, or can it be a site
    that already exists ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 aamurray

Dreamweaver uses ftp to connect to a site on the web so you would need the ftp username and password to use it. You could create a site on your local PC though.

This might explain it better...

Is there no possible way that I could log into a site like facebook for example (the site I need to edit isn't facebook Im just using it as an example) & similar to inspect element make changes like text changes, save them, save it to your desktop for example, log out of the site... but still using an active internet connection log back into the site as normal, & the changes that you made are still there

I know using inspect element doesn't do this, but is there any possible way the above scenario can work

• Advertisement

aamurray wrote: »
    Dreamweaver uses ftp to connect to a site on the web so you would need the ftp username and password to use it. You could create a site on your local PC though.

What's ftp ? (n00b)

And if I don't have it how would I go about accessing the username & password ?

ftp - file transfer protocol - only the owner of a site or the developer of the site will have the access credentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Legally, No

Is there no possible way that I could log into a site like facebook for example (the site I need to edit isn't facebook Im just using it as an example) & similar to inspect element make changes like text changes, save them, save it to your desktop for example, log out of the site... but still using an active internet connection log back into the site as normal, & the changes that you made are still there

I know using inspect element doesn't do this, but is there any possible way the above scenario can work

21/25

ftp - file transfer protocol - only the site owners and developers have the access credentials. you can of course edit pages on Wikipedia but that kind of access is rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

As posted on your other thread (cross-posting the same question across multiple forums is frowned upon btw):
    28064212 wrote: »
    I'm presuming you don't have access to the actual site-owners to make these changes? And you're happy that these changes are only for you, not for anybody else?

If that's correct, you want to look at Stylish and/or Greasemonkey, available for Firefox or Chrome (although the latter's Chrome version is called Tampermonkey). Stylish lets you apply your own CSS rules to webpages, and Greasemonkey lets you run your own Javascript

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I don't know. I don't use dreamweaver. I believe you should take a look at WordPress - it may be more what you're looking for. That's my contribution to this thread. Bye now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

I think your request was worded a bit wrong, I'm assuming all you want to do is basically change the website only for yourself.

There might be a few plugins that you can use to modify the look of a website without having to keep changing the dynamic source code. In work at the moment so can't check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

OK I think I get it. The site is question is one where you have a member account, such as Facebook, Twitter or even Boards.ie but you don't actually own or run yourself.

All such sites have an interface where the users or members can make edits or post content but limited only to functions that the site owner designates. The site owner will have full access privileges to edit, change or delete anything at all on the site.

So the short answer is no. You cannot make any changes to any part of a site for which you do not have permissions - you can think of the word "permissions" both literally (legally) and also in the sense that it is used in web design / programming where it designates what can be modified by certain defined users or admins.

Sorry for the "long windedness" but hopefully that clarifies it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

OP, in short, what you are asking is not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The only thing I can think of is modifying the site using Chrome's developer tools, it allows you to make live changes to the site but you can't bring them outside the current session so any changes you make are lost on close.

What changes are you hoping to make? Maybe it's something which can be achieved through greasemonkey or equivalent?

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    As posted on your other thread (cross-posting the same question across multiple forums is frowned upon btw):

I posted it on different threads because I wasn't too sure on which thread would be best to ask for advice on

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    I think your request was worded a bit wrong, I'm assuming all you want to do is basically change the website only for yourself.

There might be a few plugins that you can use to modify the look of a website without having to keep changing the dynamic source code. In work at the moment so can't check them out.

Yes sorry it probably was worded a bit wrong or awkwardly

and yes I just want to change the website just for myself on my laptop, so if someone else logged into the site on a different/laptop computer they would see what was originally there

Could you please let me know what the plugins are or PM me if you can please ?

The only thing I can think of is modifying the site using Chrome's developer tools, it allows you to make live changes to the site but you can't bring them outside the current session so any changes you make are lost on close.

What changes are you hoping to make? Maybe it's something which can be achieved through greasemonkey or equivalent?

I checked out chromes developer tools, its just pretty much the same as using inspect element ?

I have to check out greasemonkey & see if it can help me in any way

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You have other threads in more suitable forums. Please don't cross post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement