Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 3 - "Robot of Sherwood"

Options
  • 04-09-2014 1:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So with the first two episodes being 'dark', this looks like it's going for the lighter, more overtly comic touch - certainly if the clip below is anything to go by. It's written by Mark Gatiss, whose writing for the new series has been a bit patchy to say the least (his Sherlock stories have tended to be pretty poor too), so here's hoping he hits some form with this one. Honestly, I'd prefer a bright & breezy, enjoyable romp after last weeks dour, interchangeable Dalek adventure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Clara in that dress...drool.

I'm hoping The Doctor says "Clara, I am not a merry man", a la Worf. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Have to disagree with you there regarding Gatiss's Sherlock work. The Great Game in Series 1, was a cracking finale. I also loved The Crimson Horror last year so I'm looking forward to this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I should have learned by now, never read comment sections. People claiming "This means the terrorists win!", I mean really?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Angron wrote: »
    I should have learned by now, never read comment sections. People claiming "This means the terrorists win!", I mean really?

Yup, website comments are the worst, it's why I installed this:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/commentblocker/lhkjhnbkeibefoijmacgnnkddlkkmjaf?hl=en-GB
    :D

As to the edit, it seems passing strange they'd announce a small edit to a show yet to be broadcast. Had they said nothing nobody'd be any the wiser. I'd wonder why bring attention to it at all, yet my inner cynic suggests that the BBC just wanted a bit more publicity for the episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pixelburp wrote: »
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/commentblocker/lhkjhnbkeibefoijmacgnnkddlkkmjaf?hl=en-GB

As to the edit, it seems passing strange they'd announce a small edit to a show yet to be broadcast. Had they said nothing nobody'd be any the wiser. I'd wonder why bring attention to it at all, yet my inner cynic suggests that the BBC just wanted a bit more publicity for the episode
    Or perhaps the scenes might still be in international copies of the episode or the home releases later this year and they need to explain why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

True, but they can explain why afterwards, explaining it before feels like a mixture of being overly PC (i.e. telling everyone they're being PC) and advertising the show as well.

After all the scandals with Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris etc., I think the BBC are so frightened of not doing the right thing that they're determined to be seen to be doing the right thing about everything now, and are thus overreacting...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Actually, they'd be very much the wiser. The leaked copies are out there for a start. The scene may yet be reinstated in future broadcasts/DVD releases etc

Damned if they explain it, damned if they don't..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

We've also been told to keep our eyes out for a "blink and you'll miss it" cameo from someone from the shows past
    Rumour has it that it's a picture of Patrick Troughton from when he played Robin Hood back in the 50s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Actually, they'd be very much the wiser. The leaked copies are out there for a start. The scene may yet be reinstated in future broadcasts/DVD releases etc

Damned if they explain it, damned if they don't..

They'll reinstate the scene, I'd imagine. Without it, they've lost a couple of laughs and a portion of the plot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Leaving the delete scenes aside, I enjoyed it and regard as best of season so far.
    The snark is strong in Capaldi and it is now being nicely integrated into the plot with Coleman performing admirable. The Thomas A Becket line and the panache where the writers interwove the old-school film treatments of the Robin legend was fun.

Some nice nods to the past adventures in there , and Capaldi's snarky Doctor worked well - sometimes funny, sometimes venomous. Better than last week for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good episode. Actors made it.

Enjoyed that a lot really liking Capaldi
    Only complaint is it was another Alien ship crash lands and can't repair itself thingy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Arguably that plot has been done to death - aliens crash in historic times and a famous figure comes to the crew's aid - but credit where it's due, that episode worked by dint of the cast alone. A much superior showing from Capaldi compared with last weeks lethargic outing, and proof there's a better balance of dark and light to be had with the actor. Just because he's the cleverest man in the room doesn't mean the plot should allow his ego to roam free, and this episode neatly took him down a peg or two when needed (compared with last weeks episode where he went unchallenged in being a horrendous, callous pig). The comedy of the prison scenes was a bit patchy, but the bickering between the cast sold it.

The plot was utter gubbins but the weary, snarky comebacks from Capaldi, aimed at Robin, were worth it. The pairing with Clara is also working very well and feels more like a friendship of rivals who like ribbing each other, than the flirty form the relationship took with Smith's Doc.

Arguably that plot has been done to death - aliens crash in historic times and a famous figure comes to the crew's aid

Exactly
    Zygons and Queen Lizzy in the 50th anniversary episode anybody?

The Master wrote: »
    Exactly
    Zygons and Queen Lizzy in the 50th anniversary episode anybody?

It's been the same with every famous character though, starting with Dickens in series 1 (or 27 if one prefers). To be honest, it feels like a cheat that the script kept dropping suggestions that Robin Hood was a fake - he definitely came off as being fake with the bright clothes and white teeth - only to then go 'aha, he was the real deal!'.

Must re-watch portions of the episode because I loved Capaldi's delivery, especially the line about one of Robin's men and his 6 months to live :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

God its only when you see an episode like that you realise why the daleks are the most feared species on all creation - there are so many rubbish aliens out there! I mean, beaten by a gang of peasant's with tea trays!

Sadly its indicative of what they've done to many characters in the series. Cybermen aren't much better in spite of bags of potential (the aliens tonight felt like wannabe Cybermen to be honest). Would it be too much to ask to have one more alien race that actually felt like they could get one over the doctor now and again (actually I'm not sure even the daleks have that anymore)

That said the episode tonight was OK. Predictable, but that's because its a rehash of about twenty other episodes. But the characters were strong and Capaldi is steadily improving. Interesting that Missy didn't make an appearance. Next weeks episode looks like it has lots of potential from the trailer, hope they don't do some hocus pocus cop out to spoil it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah, you can definitely see Capaldi coming into his own with this episode. As already mentioned the plot was absolute pants, but the banter between the characters made the episode worthwhile...

tritium wrote: »
    [...] Interesting that Missy didn't make an appearance. [...]

No, but the robots of this episode were also heading for a 'promised land', which if I'm not mistaken was what the ones from Deep Breath were seeking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Only complaint is it was another Alien ship crash lands and can't repair itself thingy

In fairness,
    Ship crashes- mechanic repairs it from ample store of spare parts- aliens continue on their merry way. Dosent make for a gripping episode:P

The dynamic with Clara was fantastic, Capaldis doctor is endearing himself to me. Definitley a much darker character.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Just started watching, Robin is reminding me a bit of Lord Flashheart from Blackadder.

I can't help feeling, given the opening episode, that this was not a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I thought the feel of the bits between Robin and Clara were excellent, and Clara and the sheriff sparked nicely. Unfortunately it showed how uncomfortable the Dr and Clara are, though it's improving, it works better when their sparing than being nicey nicey. Hope it becomes more competitive between them, rather than the girl in love with her doctor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I really truly want to like Capaldi(far more than Smith at first and even Tennant), but I'm really not feeling it. Again this week for me he was all actorial tricks, twitches, but clumsy, disconnected and absent. For me he feels like an understudy for someone better waiting to show up. Now I didn't dig Smith at first, but he was his own man/character. I defo didn't see the understudy vibe at all. Maybe I'm the voice in the oul wilderness here and that's cool too, but so far he's been a real let down for me and I really wanted him to get it. Maybe(and hopefully) I'm a minority, but I can see myself not really bothering watching on a weekly basis. Might catch up at the end of the current run kinda thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I don't want this to sound like a spoiler but Wibbs next weeks episode will change your mind I think

I thought that was awesome, he's still snarky but it's not as unbridled ego as last week
    and we had FOR I AM THE DOCTOR AND THIS IS MY SPOON
    hee

Didn't like the ending at all
    shooting an arrow together will overcome the jets blowing it away AND somehow help the engines stuck on the outside
    omg doctor we're SO ALIKE - no thanks. poor attempt at comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Liked the part where Hood peeved off the Doctor a bit when he started talking about stealing a TARDIS.

Definitely a step up the ladder from the past two weeks. Not so over the top gloomy and I like that. Cheesy as hell at times but that's alright now and again

I dunno, I thought Capaldi was his most natural this time around, full of sarcastic energy and drive, with a glint of devilment in his eye that I just didn't see in last weeks installment. That dalek episode really became that bit more insufferable because of this episode, not least because Capaldi wasn't channeling a warmed-up Malcolm Tucker and generally behaving like a dick, he felt more like the Doctor: more intolerant of 'bantering' than before but still impish and decent.

If anything, last nights episode made me think a multidoctor story featuring Smith and Capaldi could be a riot :D There'd be sparks for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Loved the bickering between the Doctor and Robin Hood, especially the running joke about the laughter. The plot was fairly week and the ending with the arrow made no sense at all but I am really loving Capaldi as the Doctor. It took me after half a season to appreciate Smith but I like Capaldi from the very beginning.

Next week looks like a classic Doctor Who horror episode. I hope it is good.

Advertisement