Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUC i5-4250U & CIR

• 04-09-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭

The NUC has a Consumer Infra Red receiver built in.
    It has proved problematic for lots of people using different remotes and also Linux based OSs such as Openelec.

Today I updated the BIOS to V27 using the built-in BIOS-update feature (press F7 during POST).

After that it was only a matter in Openelec of creating an autostart file, making it executable and adding a command to use the correct keymap table for my remote.
    File location is
    /storage/.config/autostart.sh

As I bought two TBS tuner cards for my HTPC, I have a spare TBS remote.

The command for this remote is
    ir-keytable -s rc0 -p NEC -w /etc/rc_keymaps/tbs_nec

After that it is a matter of tweaking the remote's response to suit the receiver, which I have not done yet, but the command, also in autostart.sh, is something like this
    ir-keytable -D 250 -P 50 -p NEC

I have no idea if both of those are needed or if they could be combined easily enough (I imagine so) - will look at that when I get around to tweaking the keymap table and timings.

Just posted in case it might help someone else ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Out of curiosity, what's your tuner setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Robbo wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's your tuner setup?

6280 & 6981 .... both dual tuner; DTT & SAT

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

6280 & 6981 .... both dual tuner; DTT & SAT
    Excellent. Something along the lines of what I hope to build some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Robbo wrote: »
    Excellent. Something along the lines of what I hope to build some day.

I use Linux so was determined to get cards that had Linux drivers as well as Windows drivers.

My card of choice at the time was Blackgold (360? or something) but having waited quite a while for their Linux drivers to appear and being disappointed every time they failed to fulfil a promise, I plumbed for the TBS.

I am aware the SAT card has an updated version .... and maybe the DTT card too.

My original intention was to set up a scheme to put coax to all rooms for SAT & DTT ...... but now I believe using CAT5e for most rooms and only wire the coax to a couple will do fine.
    Makes things much easier to manage on the install side, and gives more options on the client device ..... internet streaming or streaming from the HTPC backend.

So far I am happy with the results ...... very early eliminated WIFI as too problematic on HD content, so wired only.

I intend to dismantle my HTPC, move the tuner cards to an old box running an Athlon 64 dual core, and set it up as a headless backend only, and put a small client device at the TV, instead of that great big box that is required to hold full sized PSU, Tuner cards, HDDs and sufficient cooling for everything.

Only waiting for some modifications to house to grab me a suitable space to hide the box from sight and hearing :D

Advertisement