Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daughter forced to believe in God

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ostracized?
    She is the odd one out because she is the only one choosing to sit out of religious classes.
    oh you're back then?

I assume you've come to apologise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yeah, its awful
    I mean kids being different is wrong, its only right the others should pick on them.

Better not be a red haired child in the class either, after all don't want them to be different.

There's nothing at all wrong with any child not choosing to do religion or to be of a different religion, they have every right to do so as do their parents.

eh what?
    Who said there was anything wrong with it?

She is not being singled out, she is deciding to opt out, if one person opts out then by definition they are singled out.
    The school and the class are not singling her out, she is singling herself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Sure you might as well blame the Catholics for her being kicked in the face as well. You're on a roll. Why stop now?

I'd blame the parents, the teachers and the principal. I don't remember anyone getting kicked in the head when the annual head lice hunt happened in my primary school... :(

I guess you ignored this bit:

I think you ignored it yourself.
    She told me this evening that she got leaves rubbed in her hair and got kicked in the face today (including by her best friend), and got called head-lice girl. This has nothing to do with my original post or A&A or Catholic ethos schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Of course you are, a) it is your modus vivendi here on boards, and b) if you had read any of the thread, even just the original post, you would understand why the child was unhappy.

And if you read my post rather than jumping to conclusions you would see that I don't believe that a child could be so unhappy and upset as this child clearly is because of the fact that she attends a school where religion is a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think you ignored it yourself.

And I wonder why they picked on her? As the Japanese say, the nail that sticks out gets hammered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Perhaps moving her from school for the third time while she is still only seven years of age might work, then again, maybe not.

From my reading of this thread the OP is a caring involved parent trying to do the best by his child. Your mean spirited attempt to guilt trip him suggests to me that you are a christian.

From my reading of this thread the OP is a caring involved parent trying to do the best by his child. Your mean spirited attempt to guilt trip him suggests to me that you are a christian.

Do you think moving schools again will solve the childs problems?
    Yes or no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

daUbiq wrote: »
    I'd blame the parents, the teachers and the principal. I don't remember anyone getting kicked in the head when the annual head lice hunt happened in my primary school... :(

I reckon they'd have a better class of head lice in an ET school, and the kids would probably bake you a cake and give you big hugs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

vibe666 wrote: »
    I assume you've come to apologise?
    Be nice.

Do you think moving schools again will solve the childs problems?
    Yes or no.

The child's problem is the nature of the school. Take the school and its associated mumbo jumbo out of the equation and I think she has a better chance of being happy.

The child's problem is the nature of the school. Take the school and its associated mumbo jumbo out of the equation and I think she has a better chance of being happy.

Thats your opinion fair enough, but I happen to think its unbelieveable that a kid could get so traumatised over religion.

And I wonder why they picked on her? As the Japanese say, the nail that sticks out gets hammered.

According to the OP its because she had (non-catholic) head-lice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Thats your opinion fair enough, but I happen to think its unbelieveable that a kid could get so traumatised over religion.

The image of a Jewish man being tortured to death isn't something I'd choose to show my children. Or stories about how they have sins and need to confess them. Or stories about how they should eat the body of Christ. Or that if they aren't of the faith they won't get to go to heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The child is merely projecting the parent's hang-ups and prejudices about religion.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    The image of a Jewish man being tortured to death isn't something I'd choose to show my children. Or stories about how they have sins and need to confess them. Or stories about how they should eat the body of Christ. Or that if they aren't of the faith they won't get to go to heaven.

Obviously whoever tried to explain christianity to you made a right balls of it.

Obviously whoever tried to explain christianity to you made a right balls of it.

Oh right. So the image of a Jewish man being tortured wasn't in my classroom or the church where we had to go during school hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

The child was not traumatised over religon. The child was traumatised by the over reaction of her teacher/principal and the bullying that followed by the other children when she stated she didnt beleive in God.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So Jesus isn't being tortured on the cross? Images showing him with blood etc are not images of somebody being tortured?

thorns don't hurt? spear in side didn't do anything? and I suppose the nails felt like fluffy flippers?.

The cross at that period was used as a device to torture and kill criminals, what did you think it was used for?

Damn, must be wrong about this all along

jesus-on-the-cross.jpeg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The child is merely projecting the parent's hang-ups and prejudices about religion.

so none belief or not following a religion is a hang up?

I don't follow football as a sport, I guess that means I must have some hang up's about it? :confused:

whats your hang up about the Islamic, Jewish, Scientology etc religions?

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    Oh right. So the image of a Jewish man being tortured wasn't in my classroom or the church where we had to go during school hours.

Oh sweet jesus,why is everyone so easily traumatised? Whats going to happen the next time this kid stomps her little feet? Move school again?

Oh sweet jesus,why is everyone so easily traumatised? Whats going to happen the next time this kid stomps her little feet? Move school again?

So showing children images of torture is ok, because its religious imagery? Having images of torture in classrooms is ok, because its religious?

We are so conditioned to think displaying images of a man being tortured to death in public spaces is normal that we never think that maybe, just maybe, a child might find such images traumatic and be upset by them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think this facts of this thread have been somewhat lost at this point.

The kid being bullied wasn't anything specifically to do with her opting out of religion. Yes, being called out about her honest thoughts on religion by her teacher/principal didn't help, but that issue was resolved, somewhat, at least.

There's a bit or arguing on both sides now about stuff that didn't happen.

It would seem like some posters would prefer if the child was made to stay in the religious school when another option was found.
    I see it as a kind of Stockholm syndrome in which these people have allied with the people who conditioned them and fed them a diet of guilt and garbage.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    The child was not traumatised over religon. The child was traumatised by the over reaction of her teacher/principal and the bullying that followed by the other children when she stated she didnt beleive in God.

Was the bullying not specifically due to head lice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod:

I think this thread has run it's course. OP, if you wish you can pm us and we'll consider re-opening it.

I'd also like to emphasise that if you think a poster is trolling REPORT the post. Don't make accusations in thread.

Thanks, and have a nice evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement