Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to PS4, selling PS3, best value?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 3:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭

As the title says I'm upgrading to the PS4 and as I have a PS3 that will then be of no use, what is my best bet in terms of value for money?

Are there places that will allow me to trade my PS3 in to go towards buying my new PS4. I understand places like Argos and Smyths wouldn't do this but maybe Gamestop/Cex?

Or would I be better trading it in somewhere for cash and buying the PS4 for cheaper (if it is) in Argos or somewhere similar?

Anyone else been in the same situation have any good ideas for me? Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Why would the PS3 be of no use?
    Plenty of games for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Both CEX and Gamestop will take it in against the new console however you will get a better price for it on adverts.ie

What ps3 is it? Phat, slim or super slim and what is the capacity of the hard drive?
    F1ngers wrote: »
    Plenty of games for it.

Agreed, the ps3 is superior right now in terms of games available and would occupy me for much longer than the ps4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

F1ngers wrote: »
    Plenty of games for it.

Fair point. It's just I think I've played most of the games I'd have an interest in on the PS3 and have finished with them. FIFA, GTAs, MGSs, Uncharteds, Assassins Creeds, Red Dead, Heavy Rain, Batman Arkhams, Silent Hills, haven't gamed in a while so have yet to play the likes of The Last of Us.

That said maybe I would be better off keeping it as I'm sure there's a lot more games I've yet to play. Maybe hold out 'til the PS4 has more games to play?

I think I have my mind too set on FIFA 15 and a graphics update, which mightn't even be worth it?

Both CEX and Gamestop will take it in against the new console however you will get a better price for it on adverts.ie

What ps3 is it? Phat, slim or super slim and what is the capacity of the hard drive?

Agreed, the ps3 is superior right now in terms of games available and would occupy me for much longer than the ps4

It's the slim, 500GB.

Fair point about the PS3 having a lot more games. Starting to think I should steer away from what might be an impulse buy. Might be better in the long run to hold out for a while longer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

DVDM93 wrote: »
    It's the slim, 500GB.

Fair point about the PS3 having a lot more games. Starting to think I should steer away from what might be an impulse buy. Might be better in the long run to hold out for a while longer.

I'd put money aside each week and pick it up in december/january.
    There are good games on the PS4, but no "must haves".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

I sold my ps3 in preparation for a ps4 it was a mistake every month I get the free ps3 games on ps+ and I can't play them if I were you I would keep the ps3 well worth it once u have ps+

• Registered Users Posts: 3 buy me a chinese

I sold my ps3 in preparation for a ps4 it was a mistake every month I get the free ps3 games on ps+ and I can't play them if I were you I would keep the ps3 well worth it once u have ps+

Same here. Can't believe it but have since sold the PS4, will pick up the Destiny PS3 bundle next week and enjoy that and a load of PS+ games! Will eventually get another PS4, when it has a killer library and hopefully a slim revision. By that time I'll also have a load of PS+ games for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

There's some great value in PS3 games at the minute. A great time to be collecting the PS3's all time greats, rather than spending big bucks on a PS4 and its limited and expensive games.

Nice one people, thanks for the advice :) Quick and easy and I've made up my mind. I'll stick with the PS3 for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Fair point. It's just I think I've played most of the games I'd have an interest in on the PS3 and have finished with them. FIFA, GTAs, MGSs, Uncharteds, Assassins Creeds, Red Dead, Heavy Rain, Batman Arkhams, Silent Hills, haven't gamed in a while so have yet to play the likes of The Last of Us.

That said maybe I would be better off keeping it as I'm sure there's a lot more games I've yet to play. Maybe hold out 'til the PS4 has more games to play?

I think I have my mind too set on FIFA 15 and a graphics update, which mightn't even be worth it?

Depends what games you are into really. Personally I've had enough games on the PS4 to keep me going and with the Christmas rush coming up it will be full steam ahead for new releases. That will bring you into next year which has a stellar line up from the get go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement