Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increased Legal Fees - Family Law

Options
  • 04-09-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi

I wonder has anyone had the same experience of Legal fees increasing during a case.

Basically just went through a separation with my wife so i used a very well known solicitor firm in Dublin.

Basically I wanted to go through mediation but the Legal route kicked in so the legal fees are in excess of over 30k just for my side. Case should have been simple enough as we dont have children but it took time.

The problem I have is I was sent a Fee note 6 months after in December 2013 - They had discounted the fees and applied a discount as the amount was so high and I had used them for another issue before - So was like their best customer.

However for the fees between january and July they sent me a fee note with some of the discounts for that period removed. I queried it and they just said the amount is the amount. I knwo that in that period they found out that there was a good bit of equity in the house my wife and i were selling - I would not like to think that they removed some of the discounts as they saw cash in the bank - I doubt they would be dis honourable as I have said they are a very well known Solicitor firm practising in central dublin.

But I find it hard to see how they could reduce discounts in a case where they were earning more and more money from the same case.

What would the standrad hourly rate be for a solicitor in Family law in a case such as mine

Has anyone else had this type of experience ? Seems crazy every other type of business would increase discounts the more you spend with them.

Then on top of that they made me pay them a monthly sum to reduce the bill during the case which they knew would put me into financial difficulty each month. And did cause me financial challenges

And on top of that they made me sign a form that they would deduct their fees (exess 30k) from the house proceeds.

Seems very unfair to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You should have gotten an engagement letter at the outset that set out their fees such as hourly rate etc.

If they are charging more than this or seek to increase their rates during the process you can raise a complaint with the law society or seek that costs be taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You should have gotten an engagement letter at the outset that set out their fees such as hourly rate etc.

If they are charging more than this or seek to increase their rates during the process you can raise a complaint with the law society or seek that costs be taxed.

But they are not increasing their rates. It appears that they applied a discount as a goodwill gesture on one fee. There are many reasons they could have done that. Maybe it took the firm longer to do the work than they or the client anticipated. Maybe the work was carried out by a new staff member who took longer to do the work than someone else may have.

This doesn't automatically entitle the OP to a discount on all subsequent fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

However for the fees between january and July they sent me a fee note with some of the discounts for that period removed.

I queried it and they just said the amount is the amount.

But I find it hard to see how they could reduce discounts in a case where they were earning more and more money from the same case.

Not giving a discount is not the same thing as increasing a fee.

A discount on a fee note is something which is generally offered or negotiated. From your OP, no discount was offered or negotiated in relation to the second fee note.

If you are unhappy, the first thing that you should do is to approach your solicitor to explain your dissatisfaction with the fee note. You could ask for a detailed breakdown of the legal costs, if that has not already been given to you. You could also ask your solicitor about taxation of costs.

Advertisement