Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What soundcard to use these days with a new MacBook?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi, getting back into production after quite a few years away from it

I have a MacBook with USB 3.0 and Thunderbold connections. Not sure if there's many audio interfaces out there that are compatible with those?

Is a USB 2.0 one the way to go

I'm thinking something from m-audio or along those lines? All I'd be using is a guitar (possibly with guitar rig), and a midi keyboard. Cheers

Actually that's another question. Does USB 3.0 support a midi keyboard?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its more so the device would need an input. Notnthe connection type for it to the laptop.

Thunderbolt isn't really taking much of a run yet. Anything I've read referred to using adaptors to connect to thunderbolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

I use Prism but with FW and not with ThunderBolt - though they make a ThunderBolt version too. Thunderbolt seems to be off to a slow start, then FireWire got off to slow start as well back in the day.

MIDI - USB interfaces should comply with USB 3 (that is, the Mac's USB 3 input should toggle into USB 2 (or 1!!) mode if such a device is connected AFAIK). Certainly had no problems here with USB 3 and MIDI stuff - and I have a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

All USB3.0 connections on laptops should be backwards compatible with USB1.0 and 2.0, however when I got my laptop (PC not Mac), it had 2 USB3.0 connections and a USB2.0 connection and for some reason my audio interface was buggy with USB3.0 but worked fine with the USB2.00 connection. But again this is with PC and may only be an issue with my particular laptop or interface (AKAI EIE Pro).

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Cool, but is there any decent external sound cards out there that would be a good option?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

What's wrong with the soundcard already built into the macbook? You just looking for more inputs and outputs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

keithkk16 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the soundcard already built into the macbook? You just looking for more inputs and outputs?

It's not professional quality

Try Apogee (if you want good converters and one very good preamp), the one is cheap, the duet is a bit more expensive, but the Apogee stuff is designed just for macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

I'd recommend the Focusrite Forte. Getting lots of good feedback and is a good bit cheaper than the apogee duet but comes out (slightly) on top in two prominant reviews recently. Sound on Sound and this guy on youtube (who is usually very good and funny too) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZldqcsY_dOo

Advertisement