Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtyard On Sober Lane

Options
  • 04-09-2014 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Just browsing through facebook and came across this. I thought had Sober Lane expanded a bit. But it hasn't, it is an extension of The Flying Enterprise.

Now, I am aware that "Sober Lane" is/was the name of an actual lane in the city on which the bar Sober Lane stands, so is it not a bit cheeky of TFE to use the name? Also the font of their name is very similar on the menus etc.

Anyway, now that I am aware of this place it seems its been open since July. Anyone been? Food any good? Prices etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Well, it is actually the name of the street (even if I didn't know that until today!), so I don't think the Sober Lane pub/group/franchise can really claim it.

Haven't been in the courtyard part of TFE, was in the pub a while back and it was a bit staid/old-fashioned for my liking (as in, it felt like a fake old-fashioned pub) and the food if I recall was of the "ok.. but lots of it" variety. That was a good while back, so it may have changed! The courtyard is huge (by Cork beer-garden standards), maybe a bit too big and empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »
    Now, I am aware that "Sober Lane" is/was the name of an actual lane in the city on which the bar Sober Lane stands, so is it not a bit cheeky of TFE to use the name? Also the font of their name is very similar on the menus etc.

Sober Lane the bar on Sullivan's Quay/Drinan Street - The Courtyard on Sober Lane is on Sober Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I was there last Friday. The place is amazing. If you thought the Deep South beer garden was nice and spacious, you'll like this.
    It looks like they invested a lot of money into it with great attention to detail.

The main bar inside is a horrible place indeed. Nothing technically bad with it, just no atmosphere and a very old crowd. The beer garden is the exact opposite though. It's weird...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

never even heard about this place. Looks pretty nice alright!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

When I was in there last they had Chris De Burgh followed by Boyz 2 Men blaring out of the PA system so loud it made conversation difficult.Other than that it has good potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

darkdubh wrote: »
    When I was in there last they had Chris De Burgh followed by Boyz 2 Men blaring out of the PA system so loud it made conversation difficult.Other than that it has good potential.

Hopefully, someone will have the sense to sack the DJ for that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The back of TFE is a serious spot during the summer, even on a mild enough sunny day it catches the sun making it warmer than what it actually is. Many a day spent sitting out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I was in there a few years ago and it's a great location. Haven't been there recently to try the food. I believe the courtyard is the former school yard for Sullivan's Quay Christian Brothers school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So, 96fm basically so? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pitcairn wrote: »
    I was in there a few years ago and it's a great location. Haven't been there recently to try the food. I believe the courtyard is the former school yard for Sullivan's Quay Christian Brothers school.

It certainly is. Many a ball I kicked around that yard! Great spot , especially when the sun is shining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was there once for a club BBQ event, price of a pint there was unreal (€5.15) - The Flying Enterprise so needless to say I didn't hang around for long.

So, 96fm basically so? :(

Er no.Someone made the conscious decision to play these aural atrocites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A miserated and miserable lot that Flying enterprise are, I live near them and you wont meet a more tight fisted operation.
    Between the 10c mouldy bananas on the counter, the no card policy in the store and if you ask for a breakfast in the bar they take it from the deli counter in the shop (and charge more) , they are a tough crowd to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

They broke a fifty euro note on me for 2 cents.
    bill at till was €9.02, had €9 in cash, so they stood there and waited for the 2 cent
    before you ask it was the owner and not a staff member.
    haven't been there since

Dbu wrote: »
    They broke a fifty euro note on me for 2 cents.
    bill at till was €9.02, had €9 in cash, so they stood there and waited for the 2 cent
    before you ask it was the owner and not a staff member.
    haven't been there since

That guy is very annoying,I avoid the shop if hes in there and the one time we went for dinner in The Enterprise he was coming up to us every minute asking is everything allright with that cringe inducing fixed smile that he has for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That guy is very annoying,I avoid the shop if hes in there and the one time we went for dinner in The Enterprise he was coming up to us every minute asking is everything allright with that cringe inducing fixed smile that he has for customers.

That's Finbarr kind of talks through his nose a bit with a creepy smile.

Once and last time I went for a pint in there when I first moved into Barrack St, all I want to do was watch the match and he wouldn't leave me alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Was just in the courtyard for the first time last weekend - very impressive! The only thing it was really lacking was a crowd! The 'pavilion' kitchen in the middle, the finish of the yard itself, the large covered half-inside/half-outside area all very cool. Great place to have a company night out or party - shame they seem to have spent all their money on doing the place up and forgot to tell anyone about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Is there a direct entrance to it or do you go through the flying enterprise?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cross over the footbridge, turn right, turn left and there's a big gate just on your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nice spot alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

When the Captain's Table restaurant first opened, we had dinner there to try it out. Going back to the late 90s they charged £25 for what was no more than a 7-8oz steak. We never went back for food there. I have been to the bar for a pint, and I liked it. Last month was my first time going to the Courtyard and it really is impressive. The food was really tasty too, though it was for a birthday party so I don't know what the cost was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Was there for the first time last night, seriously impressive. Knew there were events there in the winter, but had no idea it was a beer garden. Great spot but lacking in advertisement.

Watched the Ireland game here on Saturday, nice and relaxed, enjoyable venue. They wouldnt give my missues a glass of tap water though, she only came in for 5 minutes on the way out after shopping so its not as if she was there for hours, did'nt make a big deal out of it but is this common pratice in bars in town now?

They just said no?

Thats extremely bad form!!

They just said no?

Thats extremely bad form!!

Ya, I went up for a pint and asked for a glass of water aswell, girl behing the bar said still or sparkling, I told her just tap water was fine and she said she could'nt give me that. I just took the pint and did'nt make a big deal of it because the match was on, but it was yesterday when I thought of it I got a bit annoyed. Nice place especially if the weather suits, but I don't think I'll bother going back there.

Put that shít on their facebook. That is completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I thought it was illegal to do that actually...I'm probably wrong but I thought I heard somewhere that you need to have access to tap water in a bar, if for nothing else than for medical reasons.

Fabio wrote: »
    I thought it was illegal to do that actually...I'm probably wrong but I thought I heard somewhere that you need to have access to tap water in a bar, if for nothing else than for medical reasons.

I should have questioned it but I was too interested in getting back to the match. No doubt I'll reconstruct the entire event in my head in the shower later on and what I should have said. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What possible reason could they have for not granting that request?! That's ridiculous!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    What possible reason could they have for not granting that request?! That's ridiculous!

Finbarr is a renowned tight arse. Im sure he feels that if he gives one "free" glass of tap water then the place will be full of people looking for tap water.

Advertisement