Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hills in North Meath

Options
  • 04-09-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

As per thread title I'm seeking out some hills in North Meath as they appear few and far between. Hill of Ward is the nearest to me. Would like some variety for down the road. Strava isn't working too well for me as it's giving ridiculous gradients which can't be right so I'm going for the trusty old word of mouth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

45km away from hill of ward in east direction is Bellewtown, lots of good ones there probably 6% to 7% avg but some have 15% on them for short spells

not sure if that's too far for you but worth considering

http://app.strava.com/segments/explore#location/oldcastle/type/cycling/min/0/max/5/surface/undefined/center/53.637256,-6.334875/zoom/13/map_type/terrain

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Try the Hill of Tara, if you were to come up from the golf club side and turn left at the top and swing a left again will bring you back to the bottom of the hill again. Do that 5 or 6 times and you'd have a good workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

+1 on loughcrew just outside Oldcastle, it's a vicious hill, much more of a challenge than Tara or Skryne IMHO coming up from the Crosskeil side is incredibly steep. Around Kingscourt is very lumpy, you're in drumlin country up there. Not sure which is the highest or longest but the rolling roads up there can suck the life out of you very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Also +1 on Loughcrew.
    There's also the climb up through Slane from the Boyne, and if you do that there's Muliaghroy (Mullaghroy). nearby.

A bit further afield there is Loughanlea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Thanks for tips. Loughscrew is a tough one alright. Bit of a drag going into Crossakiel as well which the RAS flew up this year. Getting to know the roads a bit better now. Didn't realise I wasn't that far from Bellewstown. Will definitely be giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Thanks for tips. Loughscrew is a tough one alright. Bit of a drag going into Crossakiel as well which the RAS flew up this year. Getting to know the roads a bit better now. Didn't realise I wasn't that far from Bellewstown. Will definitely be giving it a go.

Did you not do that with us for our hc tt?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

North Meath and crossing into Cavan. Screebogue which is off the Moynalty to Kinscourt road. The climb into Kingscourt from the Drumconrath road. Loughanleagh which is off the road between Kingscourt and Bailieboro. And roads in general around Kilmainhamwood and Cormeen. You should be able to plan a route that takes them all in. If you pick up the Meath Heritage Tour 160k route around Nobber and follow it around to Cormeen you'll get most of them. The luminous green arrows are still on the road.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Did you not do that with us for our hc tt?

No didn't do it. Can't remember there being one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Any route into Kingscourt is a tough go.. If you do head that way, you have to go to Loughanrea (via Muff..) as its a great climb. I thought it was tough until I moved to Switzerland.. .
    Some great routes round there, I miss being at home..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hill of Slane, then a bit further on - Mount Oriel.

Roughgrange runs from the river up and over too Duleek - a nice little 15-17% hill - or you can come at it from Donore and over Red Mountain.

I can also recommend this short, sharp chappie.....http://www.strava.com/segments/820993 - the turn into it is tricky meaning you are straight on to a sharp enough gradient with no opportunity to build momentum to carry you up.

If you look at the river and the roads that run either side of it, you can follow a 'zig-zag' route crossing and re-crossing the river using the bridges - in other words descending then climbing away from the river.

Great stuff, really appreciate the local knowledge. Know what you mean about missing home. Having real mountains, perfectly paved roads and all that is still not the same as the tough undulating roads of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

No didn't do it. Can't remember there being one?

Ok. We did two last year. Check Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Great stuff, really appreciate the local knowledge. Know what you mean about missing home. Having real mountains, perfectly paved roads and all that is still not the same as the tough undulating roads of home.

Just wish I had time to get out there on them... Roads are good though

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

Out from Moynalty towards Kingscourt about 8km's, Turn left after bridge on left hand bend towards tierworker, about 2km's up hang a right up a steep short hill, turn left about 3km's at signpost for Lough an lea, This road has a few proper steep climbs. when you get to the end if you are still alive, turn right at t junction go for about 2 kms to t junction and turn left up Lough an lea (signpost here), this is at roughly halfway point up Lough an lea. Nobody here will judge you if you want to get off and walk. When you are coming back down from Lough an lea be careful for bits of stones and gravel at the end of the driveways where they meet the road. You can average over 40 down this while holding the brakes. Only the bravest average over 50 or 60 (not me).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

mad dave wrote: »
    Out from Moynalty towards Kingscourt about 8km's, Turn left after bridge on left hand bend towards tierworker, about 2km's up hang a right up a steep short hill, turn left about 3km's at signpost for Lough an lea, This road has a few proper steep climbs. when you get to the end if you are still alive, turn right at t junction go for about 2 kms to t junction and turn left up Lough an lea (signpost here), this is at roughly halfway point up Lough an lea. Nobody here will judge you if you want to get off and walk. When you are coming back down from Lough an lea be careful for bits of stones and gravel at the end of the driveways where they meet the road. You can average over 40 down this while holding the brakes. Only the bravest average over 50 or 60 (not me).

Was up there this morning. We went through Kingscourt towards Bailieboro and you turn off left for Loughanleagh after about 4k. You won't miss it, seems like every local sportive goes up it and the road at the junction is multicoloured with all the luminous arrows. It's a good climb up and worth stopping at the top to take in the view while you get your breath back. And yes, be careful on the descent towards Bailieboro, there are a couple of blind bends at the top, there is gravel in places and it's a very narrow road. It's also popular with walkers and sightseers so you will meet cars and pedestrians coming up as you go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Good opportunity ti hit a few of these local hills tomorrow with the 5 County Cycle Challenge. Starts in Virginia and will take in Loughcrew, Loughanlea & a nice little hilly borreen in Monaghan;).....150k in total.

Not around unfortunately. Do you have a route?

Edit: Got it - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1624765

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

That's the one !.......100k follows the same route but turns off in Kells.

This one is the 3rd side of Loughcrew: http://www.strava.com/segments/652909

goes up to the entrance to the cairns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Was up there this morning. We went through Kingscourt towards Bailieboro and you turn off left for Loughanleagh after about 4k. You won't miss it, seems like every local sportive goes up it and the road at the junction is multicoloured with all the luminous arrows. It's a good climb up and worth stopping at the top to take in the view while you get your breath back. And yes, be careful on the descent towards Bailieboro, there are a couple of blind bends at the top, there is gravel in places and it's a very narrow road. It's also popular with walkers and sightseers so you will meet cars and pedestrians coming up as you go down.

resurrecting an old thread here but i did this climb on Monday. i have only been back on the bike a few weeks after a couple of years off, it really is a great climb and the scenery at the top is beautiful, supposedly you can see 9 counties from there, or something like that.

i had forgotten how joyous cycling can be. i have been spinning twice a week since Christmas but only got out on the bike again in mid may so the general fitness was ok from the spinning and i'm really enjoying it.

i was up in that part of the country for the long weekend and went out Monday morning at 9.00am the sun was shining and the morning was warm, from bailiborough to tierworker into kilmaniam wood, from there into kingscourt and then loughanleagh back to bailiborough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement