Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in academia?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right section. But I'm just wondering how does one go about entering a career in academia? I'm going to study an Arts degree in Public and Social policy and after that I'd like to study something linked with philosophy and political theory. What would the logical progression be after the Arts degree and what are the prospects for a career in academia?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Id be thinking a PHD as a starting point anyway.

Nearly all in academia (lecturers etc) will have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

KOB33 wrote: »
    ...what are the prospects for a career in academia?
    Not good. There are more PhDs competing for positions then there have ever been before.

That's not to say you shouldn't go for it if that's what you want, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Its not great at the moment, I'd actually go as far as to say its very bad. Funding is a bitch to get and even senior post docs (the level above PhD) are having to leave academia to go and work in industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'd be of a slightly different view. I think some people are very very suited to academia. I've encouraged a friend of mine to do a Phd ( alomost done now ) as I thought its the case with him.
    I think if your talented that way it would be a pity not to do it.
    The only thing is you might have to travel to get work afterwards.

But its miles off , enjoy your degree first :)

Advertisement