Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting hired as a mature graduate (Finance)

• 04-09-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I'm 31 with no previous experience in Finance but just finished my finance degree in May. I've lost count of how many positions I've applied for and no luck so far. I've been to a few final round interviews at this stage with positive reactions and all that but ultimately no offers.

Any general advice is appreciated. Should I not bother with graduate programs?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

realthbr wrote: »
    I'm 31 with no previous experience in Finance but just finished my finance degree in May. I've lost count of how many positions I've applied for and no luck so far. I've been to a few final round interviews at this stage with positive reactions and all that but ultimately no offers.

Any general advice is appreciated. Should I not bother with graduate programs?

Well are you only interested in Irish graduate programs? Here (Switzerland), graduates tend to be in their late 20s early 30s so it is not such a big issue. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 realthbr

Thanks Jim. I was hoping to stay in Ireland yes. I've had a few years abroad before and sadly I might have to go again if I can't get anything here.

I assume that any graduate program in Switzerland requires fluency in German or French as well as English?

I also have to stay in Ireland until at least after Xmas for other reasons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

realthbr wrote: »
    I assume that any graduate program in Switzerland requires fluency in German or French as well as English?.

No, most companies use English as the working language. But you would be expected to make an effort to pick up one of the National languages.

Advertisement