Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent coconut milk?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or are the canned coconut milks you get here complete crap? Over the last few years I haven't had a single can that was thick and creamy as it should be. My curries always turn out watery and not very coconut-y.

Anyone find the same? Maybe I should steer away from the cheap ones?

Looks like chaokoh is the recommended brand on here, I'll be trying that next time. Enough ruined curries

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, the ingredients on a can of coconut milk here are as long as your arm. Stabilisers and gum and odd things that are not coconut milk!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I was about to recommend chaokoh based on the thread's title :) I find hitting up an Asian food store is the best for coconut milk, and stockpile it too if you don't go very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 johnnybegood

Guys what is this stuff like nutritionally? Better alternative to Dairy surely?

I am looking to start using it in making my smoothies........

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The folk in Nutrition & Diet could help you better with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I buy coconut cream instead of coconut milk, I find that makes all the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I buy the stuff on special in Lidl, Its a black and yellow tin. Its better than the standard stuff.
    Also I get the dried coconut cream powder Santan or Coconut King in a silver packet. Both excellent quality IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

maybe its the recipe you are using and not particularly the coconut milk? if you post it here maybe people can give suggestions as to how to achieve the result you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

maybe its the recipe you are using and not particularly the coconut milk? if you post it here maybe people can give suggestions as to how to achieve the result you are looking for.

Its the same green curry recipe that has served me well for years. But that was mostly in Canada. I'm convinced its the coconut milk, I'll come back here to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

There is a brand in Dunnes "Thai Gold" i think its called, on the ingredients its 99.65% coconut milk and 0.35% xantham gum. Which is the best ratio I have seen of coconut to additives.

Most of the others are approx 60% coconut, withe the rest being water and stabilizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

That's the best one I found too, I've seen it in a few places. I think they're an Irish company too which is good.
    Zymurgist wrote: »
    There is a brand in Dunnes "Thai Gold" i think its called, on the ingredients its 99.65% coconut milk and 0.35% xantham gum. Which is the best ratio I have seen of coconut to additives.

Most of the others are approx 60% coconut, withe the rest being water and stabilizers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

The one I buy in Lidl has got to be the thickest creamiest I ever bought, great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Most of the tins you buy are laden with gum, filler and preservatives.. YUCK!
    Make your own from shredded coconut.. saves money and you have milk & cream to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lunaarli wrote: »
    Most of the tins you buy are laden with gum, filler and preservatives.. YUCK!
    Make your own from shredded coconut.. saves money and you have milk & cream to use :)
    I have done, but it takes ages to grate the bloody coconut and if you haven't got a coconut grater its harder again.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have done, but it takes ages to grate the bloody coconut and if you haven't got a coconut grater its harder again.

I meant just with a bag of pure shredded coconut!
    http://wellnessmama.com/2447/homemade-coconut-milk/

The cream will float to the top of the milk..

Then you can also reuse the pulp and bake/use it in smoothies>
    No waster and super healthy :D

Advertisement