Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best line broadband (Spa area)

Options
  • 04-09-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before. I've had a good trawl through the forums and I can't find anything on broadband out this neck of the woods.

I've been using 3G since I've been out here, but we've decided we need to get proper broadband in. I'm thinking of going with Vodafone simply broadband, but I'm trying to find out other people's experiences before I sign up to a contract (and spend half of it ringing call centers complaining). So any feedback would be really useful, cheers!

I'm assuming that the max speeds through these old lines would be anything from 3 to 6 Mbps, so not expecting speedy-supa-fibre out this way. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Spa Tralee or Spa Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Sorry, Spa Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just seen this thread now,

Kerry Broadband are based in the Spa,

http://www.kerrybroadband.ie/packages.php

Thinking about getting the 7mb package myself

Anyone here with them atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Just seen this thread now,

Kerry Broadband are based in the Spa,

http://www.kerrybroadband.ie/packages.php

Thinking about getting the 7mb package myself

Anyone here with them atm?

I have a friend who lives outside of Castlemaine who has been with them for years now. Seems happy enough with them and any time ive used his internet its been grand for being in such a remote location. Only thing is they require an antenna to be installed which requires some drilling into the walls.

Im with Permanet broadband paying €24 euro a month for the 2mb package,no problems with it,works away fine but when id seen Kerry Broadband doing a 7Mb package for €25.40 per month then its a no brainer to switch to them

I wonder could they use the antenna Permanet have put up on the wall or will Permanet come to take that down when I cancel with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

With them for years

currently getting avg of 15 mbit up and down

How long were ye waiting for Kerry Broadband to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

This crowd are looking good to take over from our dismal Eircom BB. I've sent the cancellation email today. Theyre middle two packages look very good but I've been told that paying the extra €10 for the Premium over the Basic may not be worth it as the speeds you get in real life with the 7MB may be close if not the same as the 12MB.
    So could anybody using KBB post a few speed tests please?

How long were ye waiting for Kerry Broadband to install?

I am not sure ...It was years ago.

What i saw from other people, getting hooked up didn't take more then a week, but don't quote me on it :D

weisses wrote: »
    I am not sure ...It was years ago.

What i saw from other people, getting hooked up didn't take more then a week, but don't quote me on it :D

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

Hello, I am working on Citrix so PING or Latency is very important. Could someone who uses KBB please post some info on how good or bad latency is. All you have to do is a normal speediest and the ping results will show. Please share them with me. I am with Permanet but having fierce issues with the Knockanure mast for a long time now so I would like to try KBB but if the latency is going to be an issue then perhaps Im better off going with eircom because it is a terrestrial broadband, which means that although speeds are still very slow in North Kerry rural areas, the latency should be pretty OK. Am I wrong in thinking that?
    Please advise.
    Thanks

4040929988.png

4040935447.png

Magnet

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 9309 kbps (1163.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 13618 kbps (1702.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 55 ms
    Jitter: 32 ms
    1/7/2015, 5:13:50 PM

4040929988.png

4040935447.png

Magnet

Last Result:

Nose bleed territory speeds :D

couple more from this morning

4042833407.png

4042837388.png

Magnet\

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 16274 kbps (2034.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 16158 kbps (2019.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 24 ms
    Jitter: 19 ms
    1/8/2015, 11:15:02 AM

Thanks a million guys, could I just ask what package are ye in?
    This definitely sounds better than permanet.
    4040929988.png

4040935447.png

Magnet

Last Result:

This is what I am getting with permanet on the most expensive package.

4043258747.png
    4038666603.png
    4040427515.png
    4041497705.png

This is what I am getting with permanet on the most expensive package.

4043258747.png
    4038666603.png
    4040427515.png
    4041497705.png

I had Permanet's cheapest package (2mb) and getting the same speed as you on the top package,Im now moving to Kerry Broadband and going with the 7mb package for an extra euro a month,thats a great deal.

I had Permanet's cheapest package (2mb) and getting the same speed as you on the top package,Im now moving to Kerry Broadband and going with the 7mb package for an extra euro a month,thats a great deal.

I wish I could get KBB but I don't understand whats wrong with them really. They never reply and don't seem to take any interest in getting customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wouldn't waste your time with KBB. Try Iveragh broadband or Kingdom broadband.

siblers wrote: »

Were you a former customer of KBB? Im due to be installed this week and a good few of my neighbours and friends have KBB and all have said good things about KBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Were you a former customer of KBB? Im due to be installed this week and a good few of my neighbours and friends have KBB and all have said good things about KBB

I wanted to be but trying to get through to them was a waste of time.

siblers wrote: »

I get your point but Kingdom BB has slower speeds and only 50 gig FUP for the Home extra package .

Ivertec could be okay but they have 15 down and up for 70 euro ....and kbb 18 down and up for 50 euro

Hi Kerrydude1981, how did you get on with your KBB installation?
    You said it would happen this week gone by?
    Could you share screenshots of the speed with us?
    Thanks

Yes got installed this week,impressed so far with the speeds.

On the Net Basic package which is speeds up to 7MB and download speeds up to 3MB

They have a mast on Barrow Hill(that big hill on the way up Tralee Golf Club) and another up on Slieve Mish

4080829529.png

4080833396.png

Could you tell me was it hard to get them to answer phones or emails regards ordering? i'm cant get through on thier phone and they have stopped replying to my emails.

Damokc wrote: »
    Could you tell me was it hard to get them to answer phones or emails regards ordering? i'm cant get through on thier phone and they have stopped replying to my emails.

The last few times I rang someone answered the phone but up to that I was in the same boat as yourself.

Yes got installed this week,impressed so far with the speeds.

On the Net Basic package which is speeds up to 7MB and download speeds up to 3MB

They have a mast on Barrow Hill(that big hill on the way up Tralee Golf Club) and another up on Slieve Mish

4080829529.png

4080833396.png

Hi kerrydude
    Thanks for your help.
    I'm getting 20mb downloads with Digiweb. I considered kbb but I'm glad I did not get them for many reasons, and I would not recommend them from the customer interaction I had with them but personal reasons aside, from a mere technical point of view kbb's Ping (latency) is still very high for what I need.
    Thanks again.

What areas of Kerry do digiweb cover?

Damokc wrote: »
    What areas of Kerry do digiweb cover?

Sorry for my delay in replying to you, Damokc.
    They cover the whole of Ireland, including all areas in Kerry. I would suggest you google them as I do not want to be accused of advertising for DW, but I am very happy with them so far. Any issues I have had are dealt in a professional and polite manner, and they fix whatever needs fixing straight away.
    Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of KBB's appalling customer service and basic manners, and that is the main reason why I choose not to go local, otherwise I would not have had any issues putting my money into a local business as I initially wished to.

• Advertisement

Sorry for my delay in replying to you, Damokc.
    They cover the whole of Ireland, including all areas in Kerry. I would suggest you google them as I do not want to be accused of advertising for DW, but I am very happy with them so far. Any issues I have had are dealt in a professional and polite manner, and they fix whatever needs fixing straight away.
    Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of KBB's appalling customer service and basic manners, and that is the main reason why I choose not to go local, otherwise I would not have had any issues putting my money into a local business as I initially wished to.

Could you do a speedtest and post it here ?

Advertisement