Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Lumia 730, 735, and 830 have been announced!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

they are before VAT prices, so you're talking about over 400 for the 830, which, based on the spec is neither affordable or a flagship. I like the look of the 730 though, reminds me of the 800...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The 830 has a 720p display, decent camera, slim profile and wireless charging, which is all pretty good, even if the rest of the specs are a bit meh.

But if your primary use for the phone is taking good photos then you'll be happy.

I'll be looking to replace my 920 in the next few months and I'm already fairly sure the 930 wont be it, but I like the look of the 830.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

The 830 looks good, glad I didn't go for the 930, as the absence of a SD slot on the 930 was bothering me.

I can live with a 10 mp camera - the OIS should really help with clarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

730 looks good alright. Reminds me of the 20 series.

830 seems unusually expensive for the spec.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Re: the 830, 1GB of RAM too which is nice if not spectacular. Nice looking phone, would be tempted to upgrade from the 630 for the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

I'm liking the 830 too to replace my 620. Hope it comes to 3/o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

LOVED my 820, had it for years. Currently enjoying a 1320 but if I needed a smaller handset with a better camera it'd definitely be the 830

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Anybody know when these phones will be available here, whether sim free from the likes of Amazon or on network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Likely at the end of the month online, no idea about networks yet.

I imagine that with the 530, 630, 635 and 930, coupled with the poor performance of Nokia in the Irish market, I don't think they'll be in a hurry to get them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

No sign of em in retail despite nokia saying they are available in Ireland,only option is sim free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

My Omnia 7 is still going strong...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

ive noticed the windows phones are getting popular of recent......can someone fill me in what have they got that others dont?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Roquentin wrote: »
    ive noticed the windows phones are getting popular of recent......can someone fill me in what have they got that others dont?

Their is no one thing, and what they have varies hugely from different models. Good cameras, wireless charging, different software option and cheaper than most of the comparison rivals.

They have a small market share so app are not as mainstream as iOS or Android.

If you are interested in one have a look at the different models http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/mobile/phones/lumia/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Compared to Android they have smoothness and stability.

I have a Lumia 930 now and loving it. I'd take a Windows Phone or iOS but not in any hurry to try Android again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The main differentiator in my opinion is the Start screen, aka the screen you look at the most when you have a phone. The Windows Phone Start screen is a plethora of customisable information (live tiles) for anything, like calls, facebook, messaging, whatsapp, weather, calendar, news, anything you like really. Always calling or messaging the same 3 people? Pin them to the start to see their social media updates and to speed dial them / view call and messaging history.

Android has a sort of crappy version of this with widgets. iOS is mostly pages of static icons with counters on them.

For this reason alone I wouldn't move to Android even with their snazzy handsets in the Sony or HTC range.

Additionally I've been using wireless charging for the last 2 years and although there has been debate about it, for most people it is a great feature that you would miss.

I think the best handset out there at the moment in terms of price versus features is the Lumia 830 - good camera, microsd slot, wireless charging, nice display, glance screen. My 920 is still working well but the 830 at €390 sim free is a good deal. Hopefully some of the networks here will add it to their lineup.

FOr me, it's the free Sat Nav, off line. It's a decent app and works for me. Plus I've tried android and it's a bit too, not messy, exactly, but random. Ios is nice but a bit restricted for me.

Symbian is dead, so it's WP8.1

Mix radio
    Microsoft office

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zEmo23

Anyone know if they work with three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭AngryLips

830 now available on VF

• Advertisement

zEmo23 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they work with three?
    If its sim free yes.

Three stick Nokia no?

Any word on who is stocking the 735?
    I heard about meteor maybe?

Three stick Nokia no?

Any word on who is stocking the 735?
    I heard about meteor maybe?

Meteor and emobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A cheap windows phone is much faster than a cheap android phone.

I find it just faster to do the basic things, like calling, messaging etc.

But there are fewer apps and its missing something you get on Android.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Meteor and emobile.

No sign of them yet.

Missus needs a new one and Xmas is coming up. 635 might suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No sign of them yet.

Missus needs a new one and Xmas is coming up. 635 might suffice.

635 is not great.. I have 2 of them here and wouldn't rate them as any better than the 5xx

Very cheap feel, no hardware keys on the panel, no camera button. You might be better off getting a cheap "as-new" 1020/820 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think 635 is over priced. The 625, 620, 530, 520 are all 50~99 euro phones. Low end phones. Compare them to same priced androids and they are a good deal. Unfair to compare them to phones 820/1020 which cost 200~400 mid~top end phones.

Well, it being green is relatively important for her.
    I would have preferred the 735 because of the qi and camera.
    But there is still no sign of them arriving on the shelves.

Sorry, I tell a lie.
    I've just found it on the meteor site. Although, in black only.

Well, I looked at the various phones around as my N8 is slowly dying (camera gone, weather service gone, speaker gone).

And I just couldn't afford the 830. So, I've bought a Chinese android. 1/2 the money, but it has dual sim so I can keep my Irish and UK sims on the same phone. Bit of an experiment so maybe it will work out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I've just found it on the meteor site. Although, in black only.

Doesn't it come with interchangeable covers?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Doesn't it come with interchangeable covers?

Not sure. It has a body resembling a 920, doesn't look like it popped off the way it did on the 620.
    I thought it was just coloured qi shells like on the 925.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

Not sure. It has a body resembling a 920, doesn't look like it popped off the way it did on the 620.
    I thought it was just coloured qi shells like on the 920.

It pops off like the 625, which I had. Got hands on mine yesterday, lovely piece of kit so far

Using the 735 a few months now and its really a nice phone for the money 199 from meteor is a very good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Using the 735 a few months now and its really a nice phone for the money 199 from meteor is a very good price.

Is that an upgrade price on a tariff or the phone-only unlocked price?

theothernt wrote: »
    Is that an upgrade price on a tariff or the phone-only unlocked price?

That is the pay as you go price,very well priced...

• Advertisement
Advertisement