Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about men wearing graduation caps

Options
  • 04-09-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm graduating tomorrow and I just have a quick question about graduation caps (mortar boards). I've heard that it's tradition for men not to wear the graduation caps and that only women wear them. However, today when I was collecting my robe from UCD I was also given a mortar board and I saw that they were giving them to other guys too. Has the tradition changed now? Do men wear the mortar boards now too?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I heard something about the tradition thing a few months ago but paid no attention to it.

Graduated on Tuesday there and the general consesus was to wear the cap if you want to, no-one will force you wear it. No-one made any remarks about it if you didn't wear it either. Most of the lads I know didn't wear them, I think that was because you look better in photos without the cap on. In fact, I know several girls who didn't wear the caps at all.

If what you said is the tradition then I don't think many people pay attention to it nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I graduated on Wednesday and there seemed to be more men wearing them than not. Personal choice really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Apparently it's an American thing to wear the hat. No fellas wore one when I graduated, but you could have one if you wanted.

Up to yourself I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It comes down to traditional etiquette on headwear - Men are supposed to remove their hat when indoors, women are supposed to keep theirs on. So since UCD graduations take place indoors, they just stopped issuing the caps to men, unless they were specifically requested. Recently this was turned around per request (Probably in part to dispel the ridiculous rumor about 'capping' the progress of women), and they issue them to everyone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its completely personally choice. Speaking as a lad, I don't think they look well on the lads. But that's merely my opinion. It was a 50:50 split when I graduated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement