Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family friendly areas in Dublin

Options
  • 04-09-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, we are a young couple with a 3 months old baby and we would like to move houses (currently living in a 1 bedroom on Grand Canal Dock)

I was wondering which areas are family friendly (and not too expensive...) ?

We would like to live on the south side, max 20 min cycle from Stephen's green

I've seen nice things in ballsbridge - rathgar - ranalagh but it's not in our budget

we are looking for a house or an apt, close to a park, in a nice and safe area :)
    we would like to spend max 1600 for a 2 beds)

Any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Naelle wrote: »
    Hi there, we are a young couple with a 3 months old baby and we would like to move houses (currently living in a 1 bedroom on Grand Canal Dock)

I was wondering which areas are family friendly (and not too expensive...) ?

We would like to live on the south side, max 20 min cycle from Stephen's green

I've seen nice things in ballsbridge - rathgar - ranalagh but it's not in our budget

we are looking for a house or an apt, close to a park, in a nice and safe area :)
    we would like to spend max 1600 for a 2 beds)

Any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot !!

Broaden your search criteria. The area you want is far too expensive for that budget.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe Castleknock or Raheny or Lucan .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kieron Wood

Rathfarnham/Ballinteer, close to Marlay Park and about 20 minutes' cycle from St Stephen's Green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Glasnevin and Drumcondra are both really nice middle to upper-middle class suburbs( a lot of city center privates schools are full of students from Glasnevin and Drumcondra). There is tons of parks, quiet roads, nice shops and most importantly close to town. Both are within 15 mins of cycling to town. Both are really safe suburbs.

Although there is not a large amount of apartments in Dublin 9/11. There is plenty of small houses in Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Naelle, I know your baby is only three months old, but in the next couple of years the issue of a place in a school will raise it's head. If you are planning on renting in one area long term, as in for the next 5-10 years, (or buying eventually!) what you should really be looking at is potential availability in a good school nearby first. There is no point living 20 mins from St Stephens Green if you can't get your child (or any future children) into a primary school a reasonable distance from your home.

Your baby is still tiny, but this should be considered in your decision as to where to move, IMO :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Naelle

thanks for all the answers, i'll have a look at these areas :)

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Naelle, I know your baby is only three months old, but in the next couple of years the issue of a place in a school will raise it's head. If you are planning on renting in one area long term, as in for the next 5-10 years, (or buying eventually!) what you should really be looking at is potential availability in a good school nearby first. There is no point living 20 mins from St Stephens Green if you can't get your child (or any future children) into a primary school a reasonable distance from your home.

Your baby is still tiny, but this should be considered in your decision as to where to move, IMO :)

that's a good point, but we are not planning on staying in ireland forever, we will go back to france in a couple of years max ;)

Advertisement