Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i eligible for free fees ?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

Im considering going to university next year. After my leaving cert , 9 years ago , i went onto an I.T course but didnt enjoy it and left at Christmas.

There are 2 points under the list of conditions that apply to me.

Criteria for Determining Eligibility

Tuition fees will not be paid in respect of:
    students pursuing a second undergraduate course.

Tuition fees will be paid in respect of eligible students who, having attended but not completed approved courses, are returning following a break of at least five years in order to pursue approved courses at the same level.

Since i didn't complete the first course does that first rule apply to me ?

If it does apply i can only have my fees paid for if i go back to do the same level course i did before. I wonder why that is ?

The course i did for a few months all those years ago was a level 7 , the course im interested in going back to college for is level 8.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

Shades wrote: »
    Hi

Im considering going to university next year. After my leaving cert , 9 years ago , i went onto an I.T course but didnt enjoy it and left at Christmas.

Tuition fees will be paid in respect of eligible students who, having attended but not completed approved courses, are returning following a break of at least five years in order to pursue approved courses at the same level.

If it does apply i can only have my fees paid for if i go back to do the same level course i did before. I wonder why that is ?

The course i did for a few months all those years ago was a level 7 , the course im interested in going back to college for is level 8.

Thanks

You should be fine, it doesn't matter about the level 7 to level 8 difference. Check with the university you want to go to though, the admissions office will confirm for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shades

Ok thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Shades wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

Fees are such a pain. They are further complicated by the awkward nature of the Free Fees Scheme as administered by the Dept Edu-Skills and the Grant as administered by SUSI.

You will qualify for fees as set out in the scheme as based on what you stated you are a "Second Chance Student".

---

FYI the technicalities are as follows:

Because you started the course your fees for first year back in the day were paid to the college under the Free Fees Initiative by the Department of Education after you registered.

So you entitlement to Free Fees for first year has been used up no matter the course type or level you start next year.

This is were the second chance clause kicks in; SUSI will pay your TUITION fees for first year.

For second and any subsequent years you will still have an unused Free Fees entitlement from DES.

Be aware that the Free Fees scheme only applies to the Tuition Fees portion of college costs. Your registration fee is entirely separate and is means tested.

---

I hope that clarifies it for you.

As you didn't complete first year you will get your

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Simply:
    As you attended but did not complete a course at undergraduate level and if you have had a break from Education** of more than 5 years, you would be considered a second chance student.

This means your previous course is totally disregarded for the purpose of your new application with SUSI this year.

**A break from Education means any education where the certificate or the award leads to a major qualification on the NFQ.
    Even if this attendance was part-time, an unapproved course or you did attend but not complete any courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Jumping on this thread, I did a course in GMIT gave up after first year, then went on and did a course in GMIT Castlebar, which I did first and second year but failed second year.
    In 2015 I will be out off Castlebar five years will I be eligible for free fees??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

astonaidan wrote: »
    Jumping on this thread, I did a course in GMIT gave up after first year, then went on and did a course in GMIT Castlebar, which I did first and second year but failed second year.
    In 2015 I will be out off Castlebar five years will I be eligible for free fees??

Yes as a second chance student.
    Buyt as long as you have not had any studies (part-time, full -time, private or public) where the course can lead to a major award on the NFQ. This would also include any FAS course that leads to a major award. Even if you only partially attended.

Advertisement