Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Ship Was This?

• 04-09-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭

Today up on Bray head at about 19:30 I saw a massive yacht/ship with 4 huge masts and full sails out in the Irish Sea, never saw anything like it in my life, it looked bigger than the ferries, heading south from Dublin.

Kicking myself that I didnt have a camera, it was one of the best looking ships Id ever seen, I would have gone to see it if Id known she was docked in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Club Med cruise ship. She was in Dun Laoghaire, will post a pic when I get it transferred to laptop.

Here she is. I meant to check on AIS which of the Club Meds she is but did not get a chance. Here she is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats the one thanks, 5 masts not 4, surprised she's only off Wicklow now, she seemed to be fairly moving when I saw her, great looking ship with the sails full. I was wondering if it was someone like Roman Abramovich or something...

Thargor wrote: »
    ............. I was wondering if it was someone like Roman Abramovich or something...

Naw, he has no taste, owns Eclipse
    If you want style look at Eos, owned by Barry Diller, below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Don't think it's a Club Med ship any more - it used to be in a previous incarnation - it's called Windsurf and I think it's the ugliest, stupidest looking thing sailing the seas :eek:

If you're a cruise ship, be a cruise ship - those masts and sails do nothing except look..... well, stupid IMO, but clearly I might be in a minority there :D

We squeezed out of the harbour mouth right beside it this evening as it was departing.

However that's a great pic you got of it, Pedro! Was that this evening?

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If you're a cruise ship, be a cruise ship - those masts and sails do nothing except look..... well, stupid IMO
    Are they actually fake? I assume they need engines to get around all the time but do the sails not contribute?

Thargor wrote: »
    Are they actually fake? I assume they need engines to get around all the time but do the sails not contribute?

They're not fake - they are actually sails - but that's nearly 15,000 tons of ship, 7 sails ain't gonna get you very far very fast!

This from their website -

<Speed: 10 to 12 knots with engines only, up to 15 knots wind and engine assisted>

http://www.windstar-cruises-luxury-lines.com/windsurf.htm

Even if I believed that (which I don't, but not based on any actual knowledge I must confess), the sails are still 90% cosmetic, and I think they're just daft-looking.

Well there were crowds of people besides myself just stopping and staring at her on the seafront in Bray this evening and tourists taking pictures up on Bray Head in way Ive never seen before even with the Tall Ships so there's definitely something special about her.

Oh I'm not denying for a minute that she's a.... how should I phrase it..... a striking-looking vessel :D

But to include her in the same post as the Tall Ships, that's just blasphemy :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Don't think it's a Club Med ship any more - it used to be in a previous incarnation - it's called Windsurf and I think it's the ugliest, stupidest looking thing sailing the seas :eek:

If you're a cruise ship, be a cruise ship - those masts and sails do nothing except look..... well, stupid IMO, but clearly I might be in a minority there :D

We squeezed out of the harbour mouth right beside it this evening as it was departing.

However that's a great pic you got of it, Pedro! Was that this evening?
    Thanks Heidi, I was just guessing. Photo was taken yesterday evening... there is a 'window' before sunset when the light/shade around Dalkey/Killiney is unusual. The sun is blocked by the hills but shines on vessels out at sea. Similarly Killiney Bay can be in shade but the fort on Dalkey Island will be lit up from the Dublin Bay side.

Usually those ships motorsail but they do sail. I've never been aboard one, but apparently when the wind is favorable and the next destination can be easily reached they use sail power. However the ancilliary engines for power etc are always on in the background.

Her's a Club Med one in Corsica from a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Naw, he has no taste, owns Eclipse
    If you want style look at Eos, owned by Barry Diller, below

Saw her in San Fran a few years back she had a hole in her side after getting hit by a small sail boat that can in to close for pictures and got caught in a wind shadow.

Actually it was the Maltese falcon http://yachtpals.com/maltese-falcon-yacht-collision-3074

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

her she is in galway last week!
    this thread was only two posts down!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057289040

flynnlives wrote: »
    her she is in galway last week!
    this thread was only two posts down!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057289040

That ain't the same ship!

There's clearly a few of them knocking around - the one about which this thread was started is an ex-Club Med one, called Windsurf now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

There was a mighty ships documentary done on Windsurf, I remember seeing it not to long ago!
    A quick Google tells me it was season 7, episode 3!
    No sign of it on YouTube to post a link but I'm sure it's online somewhere if anyone is interested!

Advertisement