Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC History Research Project Topic

Options
  • 04-09-2014 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hey all. I'm just thinking about my history project that we're going to doing sometime soon but I'm not quite sure what I want to do yet. I was thinking about Ancient Greece (Greek Mythology, Everyday Life etc.) but

1) I don't know if it's even a suitable time in history to be doing (Our teacher said nothing too old but we're pretty sure he meant stone age old!) and

2) I'm not certain about what specific area of Ancient Greece I should do. I would like to do something along the lines of the Gods/Goddesses or the hereos of the time but I don't know where to start. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

The problem is, you need FIRST HAND accounts to support your project. That's going to be hard to do for something that far and obscure in history.

I'd recommend doing something where you could get loads of first hand sources (books, people, letters etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

The problem is, you need FIRST HAND accounts to support your project. That's going to be hard to do for something that far and obscure in history.

I'd recommend doing something where you could get loads of first hand sources (books, people, letters etc).

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any ideas dealing with first sources?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any ideas dealing with first sources?

You know yourself. I wouldn't recommend Greek mythology because English didn't exist back then so it'd be hard to get any decent first hand source.

Look around, and you're bound to find something interesting. Just make sure there's a chance you'd be able to get at least two first hand sources before deciding.

Plenty of history in Europe, just google around and you'll find something. :)

You know yourself. I wouldn't recommend Greek mythology because English didn't exist back then so it'd be hard to get any decent first hand source.

Look around, and you're bound to find something interesting. Just make sure there's a chance you'd be able to get at least two first hand sources before deciding.

Plenty of history in Europe, just google around and you'll find something. :)

Alright, I'll give the Ancient Greece a miss then. Google will be my friend in this, I guess! Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

Consider doing something related to local history, every year the chief examiner states a desire to see more projects with a local focus. It also makes finding primary sources easier, as compared to the US/ Europe. I did mine on the US and the research required to find decent sources was almost excessive (I will admit my topic didn't help)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do what the Chief Examiner for History wants - a locally based research project.

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking about local and The Titanic seems like a really interesting topic to write on and it's quite local to where I am. What do you think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

I'm doing mine on the history of Croke Park

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking about local and The Titanic seems like a really interesting topic to write on and it's quite local to where I am. What do you think? :)

Yes. You could pick some local people from the list of victims/survivors and look into what they were leaving, what/who they were going to - all sorts of interesting things. Local newspaper coverage, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ellsaboo_

Local history all the way - I did my project on someone from my area, it was a boring enough topic but it got full marks (i viewed my script)

It's much harder to find sources for local history, granted, but if you're interested in history the research is rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I did my LC history in 97 so I might be out of date....

But my teacher told me to buy a book on Terence mc Sweeney, one time mayor of cork. He died on hunger strike. Loads of good quotes that the examiners love. Got me an a1 anyway. Quite an inspirational story to take into later life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There is no requirement for first hand accounts, by that I presume you mean primary sources?

Any 3 sources will do, but try to use at least one book. Internet sources are fine but they must be relevant and sourced correctly.

Do NOT get fussed over the type of sources and don't get too stressed over the thing itself. The average mark for the RSR is 90 out of 100.

Advertisement