Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i do my Leaving cert through NUI maynooth?

• 04-09-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm 20, unemployed and never did my leaving cert and am wondering if i can do it through NUIM i now other colleges do this out in dublin but is very inconvenient for me as i live in celbridge and don't have a car. Please if anyone can help me that would be great, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I can't answer your question, but it might be worth sending an email to the Access Office in the university, they might have useful information or advice for you.

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/access-office/contact-us

The alternative would be to wait until you're a mature student (i.e. over 23 when you apply). At that point none of the Leaving cert requirements apply. I didn't get enough Leaving Cert points to get into any university course in the country, but I got in as a mature student and did my degree and masters.

I know mature students who did a sort of pre-year through the Access office, where you get a taste for a bunch of different subjects, get introduced to academic writing and get lessons on grammar etc. but also experience using the library for research, and a lot of other stuff. They did that year before starting first year of university and they all loved it, said it made them feel much more confident about college and more able to cope with the work demands.

Try the access office and see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 I NEED SCISSORS 61

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

If your goal is to go on to study in a University then Maynooth has you covered,

There is NUI Certificate in Science or Engineering
    Otherwise if your more interested in a humanities/arts course there is the NUI Certificate in Return to Learning. I'm not sure if there is a specific course run that covers the actual Leaving Cert in MU.

If your goal isn't university entry then you should contact Kildare and Wicklow ETB, I think its possible to do the Leaving and Junior Cert part time through the Adult Basic Education Service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

A number of VEC schools offer LC courses for adults who want to further their education but are under 23. Most people there are in their early 20s.

If you're worried about your level of reading and writing, talk to NALA. They're absolutely brilliant and work with school-leavers to fix their spelling and grammar up a bit.

It's a smart move to make, good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

banquo wrote: »
    A number of ETB schools offer LC courses for adults who want to further their education but are under 23. Most people there are in their early 20s.

Fixed it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Gah, showing my age, the shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I'm 20, unemployed and never did my leaving cert and am wondering if i can do it through NUIM i now other colleges do this out in dublin but is very inconvenient for me as i live in celbridge and don't have a car. Please if anyone can help me that would be great, Thanks.
    Hey, just wanted to add something that occurred to me during the day. After I did so badly in school and couldn't get into university, I spent a bunch of years thinking I was a complete moron who wouldn't be able for academic stuff, who couldn't do well in college. That was complete horse dung. It turns out that if you're willing to work your arse off, then however you did in school is no indication of how you'll do in college.

I suppose I'm saying, try not to have a negative perception of your own academic ability. School and college are very different, and even if school didn't go so well, you can still do really well in college. It's tough, but there's no reason you can't do your best. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

You can almost ALWAYS catch up. You've made a smart choice now just follow through!

Advertisement