Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Professional work clothes

• 04-09-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi al,

I'm a young professional and I was wondering where the best place to buy shirts? Ideally slim fit, I'll need 4 or 5 for the working week. I find the stuff Pennys have are not a great fit or quality

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Hi al,

I'm a young professional and I was wondering where the best place to buy shirts? Ideally slim fit, I'll need 4 or 5 for the working week. I find the stuff Pennys have are not a great fit or quality

Best will get you started. They have everything from budget to really decent stuff. Don't forget you get what you pay for. Forget Penny's and the like. I never liked Andre shirts, I find Marvelis a much better fit and finish. They'll cost you 40-€60 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Take a look in Debenhams or Next. Marks and Spencers are good for basic work shirts but I not sure about slim fit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 misstyc

Try tm lewin on s. anne st adjacent to grafton st, great quality and decent prices. can also have a look at their website to get a feel for what you'll get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My husband really likes the slim fit Red Herring shirts in Debenhams. I think they're are 30 euro normally but with the regular sales in there you can get great bargains on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

+1 for TM Lewin, they do slim fit and you can often get deals / cheap when you buy online rather than in the store. They deliver free to the store where you can collect so its the same difference.

M&S do slim fit but they aren't really "slim", just a little less baggy than their normal ones. Can't fault their quality, though their styles and collars would be questionable at times.

I got some decent work shirts in Savoy Taylors Guild in the Kildare Outlet village; they don't last forever but they did the job. You can buy them from Moss Bros too. There's a Hackett outlet in Kildare as well and their shirts are great (though a little pricier). Thomas Pink has gone down in quality over the years but still charge a premium price, so best avoid I'd say.

If you have the cash, Louis Copeland do great shirts too - even their own brand; great collars, great fit, but pricey. 80 - 120 quid is the range. I got a decent shirt from Arrow, which I bought in Henry Jermyn; they have those shirts in Michael Barrie as well as in Arnotts.

Generally a spread collar is your best bet. Penney's and the like will do those short, narrow collars which just look terrible with a tie and will make you look like some kid working a summer job. You want to go traditional, classic menswear as its a look that will never be in or out of fashion, it just "is".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

My husband finds m&s good for work clothes. He also gets some of his bits in best menswear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Debenhams, slim-fit, and only 100% cotton.

They regularly reduce shirts from about €60 down to €15.

Advertisement