Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries for a day trip?

Options
  • 04-09-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Never been here before just wondering is there a lot to see? How far walk is it from train station to town centre also any nice shops and places to eat. Fancy a change out of Dublin on the train but not far. Or is Rush, Lusk nicer don't know these areas. I have been to Malahide and Howth already

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

http://www.skerrieshomepage.com/

Wonderful place for a day out, the train station is less than 10 minutes away. Loads of good cafés and many of the pubs serve good local produce.
    Bear in mind that their'll be motorcycle racing just outside the town this saturday and sunday, but that's out the Lusk direction and away from the town itself.

I'm living in Balbriggan and always enjoy heading over to Skerries for a good night out.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/15-braydublindundalk1.pdf?v=gchdkce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I live in Swords and regularly go to Skerries for a walk on the beach or a wander around the town, it's lovely. Lots of nice places to eat too, and if you're a fan of chicken wings the Blue Bar in the harbour do the best ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

miss choc wrote: »
    Never been here before just wondering is there a lot to see? How far walk is it from train station to town centre also any nice shops and places to eat. Fancy a change out of Dublin on the train but not far. Or is Rush, Lusk nicer don't know these areas. I have been to Malahide and Howth already

Skerries is a great place for a day trip.

Lovely places to eat in the town/ over at the harbour - try Stoop Your Head or Blue at the harbour or Olive, Rockabill, The Windmill or Seasons in the town.

Skerries Mills is also 10 minutes from the train station. There's a nice market there on a Saturday and they have activities/ tours within the mills itself.

The harbour is lovely on a sunny day. Make sure to get an ice cream in Storm In a Teacup.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Plough is a wee gem for a spot of lunch too, but a bit outside the village.

As for Storm In A Teacup - unmissable!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd say the Mill is only about 3-4 mins from the station, down St Patricks Close across the r127 lusk road, and into Millhill park.

From the Mills, you head down Miller's lane and to the promenade

Head along towards the Red Island ( Not an Island) or if the tide is waaay out, out to Shennick Island ( is an island but you can walk out without getting the tops of your feet wet at low tide.)

There's a grand selection of Bars and eateries along the Harbour beside Red island and plenty back in the town centre itself too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Only consider walking to Shenick Island if you are very, very sure of the tide times & are confident that you can make it there & back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If it's a nice sunny day then it's worth using the top deck of the 33 bus to go to Skerries rather than the train, as there are some nice views along the coast from Rush.

Then you can take the train back to Dublin.

Advertisement