Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps4 owner thinking of ps3 also

Options
  • 04-09-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Bought a ps4 ages back and really enjoy it, despite the low game release rate as I expected it.

Having been on xbox 360 since it came out, I opted ps4 this time.

Now thinking of buying ps3 to keep me going until the ps4 catalogue gets better and I also noticed ps3 games seem super value.

Is it worth buying? And what price should I be paying new or second hand ?

From just looking in cex stores, I might be better buying a new console.

What would be your advice? Xbox 360 is going strong as well but ps catalogue looks so good :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

If you do get PS3, you can use your PS+ membership on that as well and avail of the free games every month. Last month was Crysis 3, which is pretty awesome. Can't remember what this months is, but I'd recommend the PS3 if you are thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

If you do get PS3, you can use your PS+ membership on that as well and avail of the free games every month. Last month was Crysis 3, which is pretty awesome. Can't remember what this months is, but I'd recommend the PS3 if you are thinking about it.

Thanks Calvin

I must shop around and see what is available. Probably will buy new as second hand, I won't have a good warranty.

Looking at the catalog of games, I hadn't realized how expansive the offering was.

Going to compile a list of the PS3 exclusive must have games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

If you can get one cheap, go for it. In the meantime, buy every free game you can from ps+, no matter the format. Never know what you might buy in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

amadablam wrote: »
    Thanks Calvin

I must shop around and see what is available. Probably will buy new as second hand, I won't have a good warranty.

Looking at the catalog of games, I hadn't realized how expansive the offering was.

Start with Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, the God of War Games and Uncharted series. Uncharted 1 is good but has probably aged badly, the 2nd game is a bloody masterpiece.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Put Demon's Souls at the top of that list(was available on PS+).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Game prices for the ps3 can be very good. Check out the regular sales they have for bargains on the store too. Recently got the walking dead season 1 for just 7 euro. PS plus working across the PS3 and PS4 gives you massive value too.

Thanks Royal Celt,

Been on adberts.ie looking at console prices and checking things out.

Looking for slimline 500gb and there seems to be plenty about although asking price is subjective

Thanks Royal Celt,

Looking for slimline 500gb and there seems to be plenty about although asking price is subjective

Thanks Royal Celt,

no worries. what's the asking price? All I know is the ps3 hasn't dropped much in price for a number of years now. Must be selling well enough still. After this christmas I'd expect sony to cut the price to keep the sales going another year or two.

If you have the money fire away but if you're stuck you might want to hold out another 6 months to see if they'll drop it.

They vary, but most are including games that I don't want. 210-250 asking for between 4-9 games.

A lot of value for the hardware.

• Advertisement

They vary, but most are including games that I don't want. 210-250 asking for between 4-9 games.

A lot of value for the hardware.

depending on how long you want it to last I'd say get it new. Like a 4 year old PS3 might only last another 4 years. But the ones made today would be of higher quality and probably last you 8-10 years if not a lot longer.

I bought a second PS2 in 2007 and it's good as new. Will probably never break because it isn't over used.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

I did just that got a ps4 and then decided to get a ps3 to play all the exclusives i wanted to play while i'm waiting for the ps4 releases to pick up. Got a 160gb slim for 155euro in cex last week. got uncharted1, most of it finished and journey played too. two amazing games!

Cheers for the helpful replies.

Just looking at a ps3 destiny bundle for 259.99 new. Seems like good value.

Cheers for the helpful replies.

Just looking at a ps3 destiny bundle for 259.99 new. Seems like good value.

I think I will purchase this tomorrow, seems the best value and I have a warranty as well.

Purchased the PS3 destiny bundle today and picked up dark souls, uncharted 1-3, resistance 2. Such great value too on all items especially the destiny bundle.

Should be enough to get me going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Purchased the PS3 destiny bundle today and picked up dark souls, uncharted 1-3, resistance 2. Such great value too on all items especially the destiny bundle.

Should be enough to get me going :)

Wow well done, enjoy it !

Thanks eddhorse, plenty to keep me going. The ps4 is being played but the PS3 back catalogue will keep me going. Value on the games second hand is amazing and the console offers enough over my xbox to be worth having.

Just downloading the updates for each game and the console at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I never had a ps3 last gen. However, I've borrowed one since owning the PS4.

Ploughed throughout the uncharted series over the past week. Great games! Looking forward to the next one in the series.

Defo recommend getting a ps3. Great deals to be had on psn.

I never had a ps3 last gen. However, I've borrowed one since owning the PS4.

Ploughed throughout the uncharted series over the past week. Great games! Looking forward to the next one in the series.

Defo recommend getting a ps3. Great deals to be had on psn.

Having been an xbox 360 user since it came out, I am really glad that I bought the ps4 and subsequently the PS3.

So much quality gaming to be had for so little money on the PS3 second hand market.

The console values are strong enough to justify the destiny bundle. Going to get some game time and play destiny later :)

Decided to look into trading my 6 week old ps3 slim for an xbox one. Heard that the trade in values are pretty poor from the likes of xtra vision though so unless I get reasonable store credit from one of the stores, I will keep it.

Main reason for selling is I can't get a decent broadband speed to take advantage of ps+ :( which is one of the main reasons I got it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement