Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inexpensive Social Activities/Gatherings in Sligo

Options
  • 05-09-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello Folks, I enjoy your site & its with some trepidation that I post this first post.

I've recently realized that I have been in a 'funk' for the guts of a year, unintentionally increasingly isolating myself from people, generally only leaving the house to work with the animals i care for, or go for groceries once a week, etc. But it has come to a head in the last few weeks & it's like "I" am back. I've applied & been accepted into College, to start a new career change, doing what i love. I'm single & in my early 30's, am nervous & excited about this new step. Can't wait for college to start, so I can get busy, meet & chat with other folks. With this comes the search for a positive sociable job, which i am on the hunt for.

I'm battling loneliness & restlessness. My friends are supportive, tho they are all busy with their own lives & families. So I'm looking for sociable activities in the evenings, mornings, weekends... anything that I could take part in, time-permitting. The catch is that at the moment my funds are extremely tight. Even @ 10Euro per activity per day, that's 50-70E/pw (Not to mention fuel etc). I've never been a fan of going to pubs/clubs on my own. When I do rarely go, its not to get bladdered drunk. Its more about having a good time with the person/people i am with.

Would any of ye have any suggestions of social meet-ups, any activity/event/topic/genre/exercise/reason, any time of day/night, that are cheap/free at all? I'm open to all ideas. I'm a closet photogaphy fan, would be great to join up with other enthusiasts, taking snap-happy shots of this 'n that some time. Would love to try out Zumba, I love dancing (incl ballroom etc, tho also not done so in yrs). Even a movie night somewhere. I enjoy just about anything that stimulates the mind & brings a smile & would like to hang out & chat with people, have a laugh...

I read that Oxfam are looking for volunteers, might go offer a few hours. Then there is the beach clean up on Cliffony Beach, Saturday@ 11am. Gymkhana on Sunday @10am near Collooney. I saw something about boxercise, which sounds fun. Am keeping an eye on Meetup.com as well, and a few FB pages. It can be a challenge to fight the urge to just stay home, I'm trying to combat that by reminding & asking myself how that's been working for me so far... Hoping this wasn't too long-winded, & that the suggestions given will help other folks too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Drink and Draw Sligo is free - unless you factor in the price of the drink (soft drink or alcoholic)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/276954802329064/?fref=ts

Or try this FB group - Things to do in Sligo that don't result in a hangover
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/329652847188085/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ComeEre2Me

Thank you fillefatale, for your reply :)

Yes I read about Drink & Draw for the 19th Sept & it seemed very interesting, had it noted :) I didn't know they had a FB page, so thank you for the link.

And thank you for the link to the other page, I will add it and have a looksee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There are lots of places crying out for volunteers. Sligo volunteer centre will be able to point you in the right direction http://www.volunteersligo.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ComeEre2Me

That's an excellent website, thanks Magnumlady

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭username84

Hey :)

I was wondering if there was anything interesting to get involved with on a Saturday night in Sligo that doesn't involve the pub and you could meet people through?

I was looking for courses and can't find anything - nothing in the way of late evening gym classes anything like that!

I'm open to anything to be honest - learning a new skill, exercise, languages!

I'm not from Sligo so I don't have my ear to the ground so to speak, I just seem to find myself at a loose end Saturday nights and would like something that doesn't revolve around the pub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Merged these two threads due to similar topic already been brought up on boards recently, you may find the answers you want here username84

Advertisement