Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 9 anyone upgrading?

• 05-09-2014 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Windows 9 hasn't even been officially announced, much less any specific features. It's unlikely to be out this side of Christmas, and probably more than 6 months away

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Phoenix wrote: »
    question really is what makes 9 better than 8.1?

Very few people know has it hasn't even been released for testing / development yet.

Build your rig, install 8.1, when 9 comes out install it then if you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Considering im a nerd, former Windows guy ("MSFT" was in my last job code..) and I have a university Dreamspark account, yeah I will probably be rolling right along into it and doing the consumer preview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Wasnt there only a small charge for upgrading from windows 8 to Windows 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

hfallada wrote: »
    Wasnt there only a small charge for upgrading from windows 8 to Windows 9

Windows 9 is not out yet, so no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

rumor is the upgrade fee will be lower, but rumors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I might, but i'm one of the few (it seems) who really likes Windows 8.1 so I might not bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I might, but i'm one of the few (it seems) who really likes Windows 8.1 so I might not bother.

I got a new laptop recently with windows 8.1 and I really like it . I changed to it from vista .

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I got a new laptop recently with windows 8.1 and I really like it . I changed to it from vista .

Its excellent. I dont like the Metro interface personally, but I use it with Classic Shell and its really nice to use. Shame the press have brainwashed people into not giving it a try. Dont get me started on Vista!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Any OS is better than Vista! ;)

I like 8.1 too but disabled that godawful Metro tile layout and got my start button back! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Any OS is better than Vista! ;)

I like 8.1 too but disabled that godawful Metro tile layout and got my start button back! :)
    Windows 9 will have a Start Menu once again, just Metro / Modern UI intergrated - horrible.

startmenu-win9-100360568-orig.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

isn't it supposed to out this month for testing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Skerries wrote: »
    isn't it supposed to out this month for testing?
    The name Windows 9 hasn't even been officially confirmed. Preview releases definitely haven't been announced.

There are rumours that there will be an event on September 30th that announces it, and possibly there will be preview releases to go with that, but they're only rumours

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Its excellent. I dont like the Metro interface personally, but I use it with Classic Shell and its really nice to use. Shame the press have brainwashed people into not giving it a try. Dont get me started on Vista!
    You say the press brainwashed people into not giving 8 a go, but then you slate Vista which got the same bad press that 8 got, Vista with service pack 2 is not a bad operating system, actually it's very good, not as good as 7 but good nonetheless. I used Windows 8/8.1 and without anyone telling me or brainwashing me I didn't like it and one of the main reasons I didn't like it was if you had to look for some applications you had to type it in and search for it like in Dos, the whole point of Windows 95 on wards was you didn't have to type in anything just scroll and click, they went backwards with 8/8.1, 9 has to be better.

200motels wrote: »
    You say the press brainwashed people into not giving 8 a go, but then you slate Vista which got the same bad press that 8 got, Vista with service pack 2 is not a bad operating system, actually it's very good, not as good as 7 but good nonetheless. I used Windows 8/8.1 and without anyone telling me or brainwashing me I didn't like it and one of the main reasons I didn't like it was if you had to look for some applications you had to type it in and search for it like in Dos, the whole point of Windows 95 on wards was you didn't have to type in anything just scroll and click, they went backwards with 8/8.1, 9 has to be better.

Vista got bad press at the time because it was such a resource hog, people were buying Vista laptops that were completely unusable. Vista has no doubt improved but for what it offers, its a complete resource hog. I have no idea what point you are trying to make regarding 8.1 to be honest. You dont like it, which is fair enough. I am tired of making the same points to you in thread after thread. Lets just leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It is a little relevant, in that Microsoft might believe that Windows 8.1 -> Windows 9 might only require a little tuning to make it palatable.

After it worked for Vista -> 7.

With windows 8, and 8.1 I find intelligent computer literate people need to be walked through tasks that used to be trivial and run into UI issues that did not exist in the past.

In windows 8, the Metro App trashy animated applications have to be removed to create a clean workflow. I'm never going to use them, why do they get pride of place on the selection screen by default. It resembles OEM junkware.

Duplicate internet explorers, one of which can't sit side by side on a single screen computer. with Word/ Excel / Outlook/ cygwin, and is non-obvious to close.

And there are also irritants for the techies. E.g the old Ctrl-Alt-Del, three fingered salute, has been changed so it takes a roundabout authentication route, which can take minutes to respond. So have to google to discover Ctrl-Shift-ESC as a workable alternative.

Win+S is search, it's also screen capture in Onenote, contrary to the tooltip.

Those active corners are a PITA in remote desktop / virtual machine / multiple screen layouts. Who benefits by them?
    In order to facilitate a handful of tablet users, other users are pushed to downgrade the mouse in favour of the non-obvious keyboard shortcuts.
    But for techies, these are captured by the host machine.

Personally I think that the search function went backward from 8 to 8.1; and those monstrous multigig updates that often require a couple of attempts to work must be reformed. They should be able to work offline, and must be more reliable and predictable.
    But that's nothing new. In place upgrading from XP to Vista, or Vista to 7 all seem to be a 50-50 coin-toss for big fail.

But rumour has it that windows 9 will aim to make this more compulsory than the full screen 8 -> 8.1 nags; which together with the forced restarts have got me to turn off automatic windows update; something Ive never done on my client PC before.

(And If I see another damn HP win8.1 laptop that rotates the screen when the laptop is tilted / Office program open, it's going in the bin). Autorotate on a laptop, fun to solve over the phone.

Vista got bad press at the time because it was such a resource hog, people were buying Vista laptops that were completely unusable. Vista has no doubt improved but for what it offers, its a complete resource hog. I have no idea what point you are trying to make regarding 8.1 to be honest. You dont like it, which is fair enough. I am tired of making the same points to you in thread after thread. Lets just leave it there.
    The point is how would you find office in Windows 8.1 if you hadn't got the third party start button, you'd have to go to the corner and type in office or scroll that tile thing to find it, that's my point and if your tired of making the same points to me in threads, then don't.

The point is how would you find office in Windows 8.1 if you hadn't got the third party start button, you'd have to go to the corner and type in office or scroll that tile thing to find it, that's my point and if your tired of making the same points to me in threads, then don't.

So your dislike for Windows 8/8.1 is based on your dislike of the Metro interface? I also dislike the Metro interface, I think its completely unsuited to a desktop OS. Which is why I take the time to install Classic Shell, which (in my opinion) turns it into a superior OS than Windows 7 with minimal effort. If you dont want to take this option and want to keep rambling on about how much you dislike 8/8.1, then thats your choice. Just take note that it was you that started this discussion, not me. I wont make the mistake of responding to your 8/8.1 posts again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll be installing W9 the day the first (beta / developers) version is available. I've done this with almost all MS OS for the past 20+ years
    I used Windows 8/8.1 and without anyone telling me or brainwashing me I didn't like it and one of the main reasons I didn't like it was if you had to look for some applications you had to type it in and search for it like in Dos

Valid point and the main beef millions of people had / have with 8 / 8.1. MS should never have taken the start button / menu out

That said, the problem was very easy to overcome from day 1: install a third party start menu (classic shell / start8 etc.)

It was advised all over the internet where ever people complained about windows 8 and was very simple to do even for someone not too familiar with computers / windows

Why didn't you?

unkel wrote: »
    I'll be installing W9 the day the first (beta / developers) version is available. I've done this with almost all MS OS for the past 20+ years

Valid point and the main beef millions of people had / have with 8 / 8.1. MS should never have taken the start button / menu out

That said, the problem was very easy to overcome from day 1: install a third party start menu (classic shell / start8 etc.)

It was advised all over the internet where ever people complained about windows 8 and was very simple to do even for someone not too familiar with computers / windows

Why didn't you?
    I did install start 8 and still didn't like it, but hey each to their own.

• Advertisement

I did install start 8 and still didn't like it

Start 8 can bring back the start menu pretty much exactly as it works in Windows 7! You can disable most of the "new" Windows 8 stuff too!

Start 8 can bring back the start menu pretty much exactly as it works in Windows 7! You can disable most of the "new" Windows 8 stuff too!

Dont waste your time. Trust me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you're in a business or educational environment that uses roaming profiles, just be aware that connecting new versions of windows to the domain and using them can corrupt your roaming user profile (as was the case in Vista and windows 8) with no warning.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2013/07/31/roaming-profile-compatibility-the-windows-7-to-windows-8-challenge.aspx

Oh lord no, just my main PC at home. And after cloning my hard disk so if it goes belly up I have a path back (I used to be braver in the past :D)

Why bother doing all that and I have Windows 7 which is much better anyway.

It takes 5 minutes. Once. And no, Windows 7 is not better. Windows 8 takes less space on your hard disk, uses less RAM and is much, much quicker to boot. And is at least as stable as Windows 7

But I suppose some people are a tiny bit afraid of embracing progress ;)

It takes you less time to install Classic Shell than it takes to install Chrome or Firefox which I assume you use. I am in full agreement with you about the metro interface but if you open your mind regarding 8.1 w/ Classic Shell, you might be pleasantly surprised. I have used 7 and 8.1 for long periods on different machines and in my view there is no comparison between the two. 8.1 boots faster, is snappier to use, uses less RAM and I've never suffered slowdown from spyware on it either. Anyway, this is the last time I will post this stuff in a thread where you are Windows 8 bashing. I have better things to be doing.

It takes you less time to install Classic Shell than it takes to install Chrome or Firefox which I assume you use. I am in full agreement with you about the metro interface but if you open your mind regarding 8.1 w/ Classic Shell, you might be pleasantly surprised. I have used 7 and 8.1 for long periods on different machines and in my view there is no comparison between the two. 8.1 boots faster, is snappier to use, uses less RAM and I've never suffered slowdown from spyware on it either. Anyway, this is the last time I will post this stuff in a thread where you are Windows 8 bashing. I have better things to be doing.
    I agree Windows 8.1 is a little faster and snappier as you say but I prefer 7 and on my PC 7 boots to desktop in 11 secs.

I agree Windows 8.1 is a little faster and snappier as you say but I prefer 7 and on my PC 7 boots to desktop in 11 secs.

Thats grand, we'll say no more so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Advertisement