Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 9 anyone upgrading?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Brillliant thanks. Does anyone know how to install it as a dual boot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Posting this from Windows 10 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Im downloading it right now and I am gonna try and throw it on an old xp laptop I have. I have windows 7 installed on a partition so I will see if I can replace it on that partition without damaging the xp partition. Anyone else tried this and if so did it work or will I run into problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Zascar wrote: »
    I have Windows7 and Windows 8.1 in dual boot mode.
    You will have to partition your hard drive to a suitable size first to install this OS,then you download the Windows 10 software which is an ISO file burn this to disc,install Windows 10 from disc,during the install it should give you a choice of which partition to install the software,your computer might restart several times during the install,after the install you should have a choice at computer startup to which OS you want to run.
    Thats what happened to me when I installed Windows 8 a few weeks ago.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Tempted by the technical preview wonder if will work on oracle virtualbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭mikewest

Furp wrote: »
    Tempted by the technical preview wonder if will work on oracle virtualbox
    Likewise wondering about virtualbox, but it will be next week before I get to play with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Is it stable enough to use as primary OS? I need to do a reformat anyway - might give this a whirl. I can always go back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

I'm just finished installing a dual boot with win 8.1 , i just resized in disk management , i freed up 60 gigs , and installed from a usb drive , just point it to the partition where you want to install and it took about 25 minutes , i burned the iso using rufus and set the partitioning scheme to GPT for UEFI computers

Cool, trying that now. I used "Partition Magic Home" (free) to resize partition and the Microsoft USB mounting tool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

unkel wrote: »
    CTRL - V into the command prompt window. I've been waiting for that one for over 20 years :D

Thank god! Hopefully it also applies to PowerShell, it's even more annoying there because Ctrl + V works in the ISE but not in the normal prompt window.

I'll be trying it out tomorrow on my test box in a Hyper-V VM.

Thanks I got instructions here too,
    http://betanews.com/2014/10/01/how-to-install-windows-10-technical-preview-on-oracle-virtualbox/

But I won't be trying tonight guess the servers are under heavy load saying it will take 6 hours to download on my 70mb connection

Fysh wrote: »
    Thank god!

Except it doesn't work :(

CTRL V doesn't work but right click, paste does work!

(tried command prompt both standard and ran as administrator)

Haven't had any time to do anything else with Windows 10 yet, but it looks good and feels very quick...

Tony H wrote: »
    ...and set the partitioning scheme to GPT for UEFI computers
    Ok I got an error saying it could not install as the disk is gpt. I dont know what that is but how do I fix this?

From another forum.

This is usually due to a system that had a previously install Windows Partition or current Windows installation that is formatted MBR and the BIOS of the system is set to EFI/UEFI or your boot media DVD/USB is set to boot EFI/UEFI mode.

Keep in mind these things
    1. You will need to determine which is happening. In dual booting, WIndows 7 does not seam to install or boot correctly when being installed with a Windows 8 system installed to an EFI/UEFI system.
    2. Although, it has been demonstrated that Windows 7 will install by itself to a EFI/UEFI system ..... who would want to do that?
    3. If you have removed Windows 8 from a retail purchased or originally sold system you will have to switch the BIOS to Legacy and reformat your HDD. There is more to this process and many systems are different giving this task a variety of complications and difficulties. there are many forums that discuss this.
    4. Other reasons could be using a disk from another system that was a EFI/UEFI based system and booting from a Widows DVD. In this case the HDD would have to be reformatted
    5. Other instances where you may find this message or similar ones is when you have Windows installed on MBR disk and you boot from the DVD (possibly to use recovery toolsicon1.png or similar reasons) and you press a key when you see the words 'Press any key to continue to boot from DVD' or similar message. Usually your DVD/USB media is first booting in EFI/UEFI mode and it is incompatible with the system disk format. If you see the words 'Press any key to .....' flash, disappear for a second or two and reappear possibly in a slightly different location, this is usually the system doing an auto-detect and switching DVD/USB modes from EFI/UEFI to Legacy/IDE. usually if you pres a key when you see these words flash the second time. the boot disk will load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Ok I got an error saying it could not install as the disk is gpt. I dont know what that is but how do I fix this?

this is the setting i used with rufus

Screenshot5_zps073138e8.png

The download eventually sped up, I know have win 10 up and running in oracle virtualbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Tony H wrote: »
    I'm just finished installing a dual boot with win 8.1 , i just resized in disk management , i freed up 60 gigs , and installed from a usb drive , just point it to the partition where you want to install and it took about 25 minutes , i burned the iso using rufus and set the partitioning scheme to GPT for UEFI computers
    I installed it as a third O/S on a partition along with my main O/S 7 and 8.1, I didn't use UEFI even though my BIOS supports it as when I tried to install it that way it wouldn't let me, I think it has something to do with Windows 7 been installed but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

any swanky new features? In Windows 8 we got better file transfer views, a modern task manager, etc. - and did they un-break the networking tools? Can I delete network profiles without needing a minor in command prompts again?

Downloaded the ISO. Won't get the chance to install tonight but will definitely try tomorrow.
    Overheal wrote: »
    any swanky new features? In Windows 8 we got better file transfer views, a modern task manager, etc. - and did they un-break the networking tools? Can I delete network profiles without needing a minor in command prompts again?

8.1 Update 1 brought this back. :) Should never have been removed in the first place though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Overheal wrote: »
    any swanky new features?

Alt-tabbing is a lot nicer with bigger screenshots of open programs/folders.
    Also, multiple desktops is a nice addition.

The stupid charms is still there with the Windows Key+C but thankfully you never see it now.

Overall I see it like a finessed version of Windows 8, like how MS finessed Vista into Windows 7.
    ...but there is still a lot of Windows 8 stuff in Windows 10.

I've now upgraded my main PC from 8.1 to 10. Pretty much all my programs seem to still be working fine - my main concern. Will report back with more findings at some point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Except it doesn't work :(

CTRL V doesn't work but right click, paste does work!

(tried command prompt both standard and ran as administrator)

Haven't had any time to do anything else with Windows 10 yet, but it looks good and feels very quick...

You have to enable it in the command prompt properties, there's a tab for experimental features.

I believe this also enables it for the default powershell prompt too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's pretty much 8.2, although I haven't really used Windows 8 much at all. I was never a fan of the Win8 look. The lack of any transition between screen changes is pretty jarring coming from the fluidity of OS X.

I spend most of my time on *nix systems so multiple desktops are a welcome addition, Windows always felt claustrophobic without them. (Ctrl+Super+arrow keys lets you switch desktops by the way)

Other than that it runs fine, no major issues to report.

Ok this is good to know. I might just do an upgrade and see what happens. I like Windows 8 - but only if I have a start menu replacement. That Metro thing is horriffic. I really dont understand why they did it, it confuses so many people!

Glad to see the start menu back and hope there are some other improvements. I like how 8 has little shortcuts for viewing details or thumbnails in explorer. I want more options and efficiency about moving files around

stevenmu wrote: »
    You have to enable it in the command prompt properties, there's a tab for experimental features.

Thanks stevenmu. I can confirm that worked!

(Need to restart the command prompt console for the changes to apply. Works both in normal command prompt and in command prompt (admin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Anybody else having trouble running Modern/Metro/Universal apps in fullscreen mode (not maximised) on a second monitor? Everything except the title bar gets blacked out for me unless I have taskbar enabled on the second screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I have an idea in my head, but not fully sure of the logistics of it all.

I have an SSD. I'm getting a 2.5" sata enclosure with usb 3. This will make it an external hard drive over usb?
    With that connected and a windows 10 iso burned to disc or maybe a usb flash drive, I'll boot into the BIOS and disabled the 2 existing HDD's and boot from disc/usb.

Will windows installer see my ssd over usb as a potential drive to install to or am I missing a step somewhere?

Basically, I want to disable my HDD's and install to an SSD over usb. Can this be done? :)

First casualty: Piriform Speccy doesn't work. Compatibility error. Doesn't work in compatibility mode (W7 or W8) either and / or run as administrator :(
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    Basically, I want to disable my HDD's and install to an SSD over usb. Can this be done? :)

Of course!

Get the ISO onto a USB stick, disconnect the other HDDs and connect the external SSD HDD to a USB port and boot from the USB stick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Of course!

Get the ISO onto a USB stick, disconnect the other HDDs and connect the external SSD HDD to a USB port and boot from the USB stick :)

Sweet!

It did sound that simple in my head, but I wanted to confirm I wasn't dreaming that this could be done.

Advertisement