Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subnet mask ipconfig/all does not work

Options
  • 05-09-2014 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi, can someone please help, all the guides on the net suggest i go to the command window and type in ipconfig/all. That does not work for me.This is on a new windows 7 laptop. Is there another way i can find it please? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Ensure you are not putting a space after the /

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

It should be ipconfig /all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Is there a particular error message you're getting? Particularly if you're using Powershell, make sure you're putting a space between 'ipconfig' and '/all'. Without any switches, what does 'ipconfig' on its own output?

Was the laptop bought new with Windows 7 or did it have a fresh install? In that case, there may not be any network drivers installed.

Navigate to Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change adapter settings, right click the interface and choose "Status", then "Details" you can also view connection information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

This what i get.Adding the space in doesn't seem to matter. I get the same error, What do you reckon?

Capture.PNG

GreenWolfe wrote: »
    Navigate to Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change adapter settings, right click the interface and choose "Status", then "Details" you can also view connection information.

Hi i got it this way, thanks lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

open CMD window

cd\

cd windows\system32

then run ipconfig /all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

circadian wrote: »
    It should be ipconfig /all

The space is optional

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Pucking Fissed Off

Search your C drive for ipconfig.exe.
    If you find it copy the file to C:\Windows\System32 and try run it again.

It might be a good idea to run a virus scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Search your C drive for ipconfig.exe.
    If you find it copy the file to C:\Windows\System32 and try run it again.

OP, it would be much safer to run System File Checker to repair or replace any potentially damaged system files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah, that's a pretty good indicator of environment paths being removed. Which are hallmarks of good virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

OP type 'path' on command line and post what you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Your path variables are not correct, you need to restore them. You do NOT have a virus so ignore the previous poor advice suggesting that.

1. From the Desktop, right-click My Computer and click Properties.
    2. Click Advanced System Settings link in the left column.
    3. In the System Properties window click the Environment Variables button under the Advanced tab.

The default 7 variables are as follows, replace yours with them and try again:
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

path.png

advertsfox wrote: »
    You do NOT have a virus so ignore the previous poor advice suggesting that.

Seems a bit silly to ensure somebody they do not have a virus when you have no access to their machine. It's never any harm to run a scan.

Seems a bit silly to ensure somebody they do not have a virus when you have no access to their machine. It's never any harm to run a scan.
    Based on the screenshot the user posted and details on the issue, yes I can esp. since its clear the issue is related to his common path variables. There is zero point in suggesting a virus scan when I know what the problem is, might as well suggest it in every thread with a technical question in that case.

Based on the screenshot the user posted and details on the issue, yes I can esp. since its clear the issue is related to his common path variables. There is zero point in suggesting a virus scan when I know what the problem is, might as well suggest it in every thread with a technical question in that case.

No matter if your right or wrong it is irresponsible to state definitively that the OP doesn't have a virus when you have no access to his system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Inbox wrote: »
    Hi i got it this way, thanks lads!

Um, I think he figured it out ages ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What if it's a virus that modifies the user/system paths? Something which isn't uncommon for a virus to do.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So what altered his path variables?

No matter if your right or wrong it is irresponsible to state definitively that the OP doesn't have a virus when you have no access to his system.
    It's not irresponsible in anyway, the advice was out of place for the issue. I'm helping troubleshoot here and I can see what the issue is so I didn't suggest a virus scan because it wasn't necessary to resolve the issue the user is reporting. I have seen this problem a hundred times before, it's a simple fix.
    So what altered his path variables?
    User error, registry corruption, paths exceeding 2048 characters, software adding it's own path causing error (e.g out of place semicolon) - there are a dozen reasons. Again, I have seen this problem a hundred times before, it's a simple fix. If I don't think it's a virus or a scan is not necessary, then I will say it.

Here is my own Path variable, 700 characters and 1 character away from an error / corruption:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\12.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\OEM\AudioCore\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AGL

OP can you tell us if you have resolved the issue with the path issue please or were you happy enough getting the IP information via Network Connections?

It's not irresponsible in anyway, the advice was out of place for the issue. I'm helping troubleshoot here and I can see what the issue is so I didn't suggest a virus scan because it wasn't necessary to resolve the issue the user is reporting. I have seen this problem a hundred times before, it's a simple fix.

User error, registry corruption, paths exceeding 2048 characters, software adding it's own path causing error (e.g out of place semicolon) - there are a dozen reasons. Again, I have seen this problem a hundred times before, it's a simple fix. If I don't think it's a virus or a scan is not necessary, then I will say it.

Here is my own Path variable, 700 characters and 1 character away from an error / corruption:

OP can you tell us if you have resolved the issue with the path issue please or were you happy enough getting the IP information via Network Connections?

Op here......

Everything is fine, I was setting up some hardware that needs a static IP and I needed the networks subnet mask too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement