Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Way Ultra 200km race Friday/ Sat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Best of luck to all doing this one. Looks like a very tough run.

Looking forward to the reports from this one, hopefully the organisers have gotten over their teething problems from the first year.

I see b.harte has gone back for another crack. Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Guys, just to make sure I understand: this event is about running 200km in 1 go (no stop)?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

It is indeed...only the mighty need apply ......and b.harte :pac:
    (only kiddin, love ya buddie !)

Talking to a few people today who are involved and its some punishing event.
    Big respect to all who ran it, and who are still running it !!

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    It is indeed...only the mighty need apply ......and b.harte :pac:
    (only kiddin, love ya buddie !)

Talking to a few people today who are involved and its some punishing event.
    Big respect to all who ran it, and who are still running it !!

Most impressive. I wonder if participants actually run it or if they end up walking or even dragging themselves near the end.

I recently read about stages events (Marathon des Sables, Grand2Grand, ..) and thought maybe the Kerry way could be a 2 stages race. Doing 200k in 1 go is crazy! :)

Well done to participants!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Most impressive. I wonder if participants actually "run" it or if they end up walking or even dragging themselves near the end.

No need to put the "run" into quotes.
    The top runners would indeed run the majority of it. The further back you go in the field, the more they tend to walk.

• Advertisement

Apologies TFBubendorfer, I'll edit and remove the quotes. I didn't mean to be condescending, I am genuinely interested in this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Still some issues but way better organised than last year. The gps tracking is a good thinkg but those that went astray were out of phone coverage so couldn't be redirected quickly enough. Some ass-hats decided to remove a few of the additional markers that the organisers had put out, which did lead to some confusion. The section above waterville claimed victims again this year marking was okay but once the mist rolled in it became difficult. I was just glad I had recce it a few time so knew the route, that and the weather was better. I took a big break in waterville and slept, started of fresh and recharged for the night sections. I had stomach problems after brandons and reallt struggled from bridia into lack road and onto glencar, it was my crew who convinced me to go on, couldnt hold anything down and the salty coke which I usually use was making me nauseous. I spent about 3 hrs sipping water and thankfully it passed. Felt better but drained at glenbeigh so just switched to safe mode and ploughed on. The heat all day was savage and I had to carry lots more water that usual as there was no water outside of the designated checkpoints which might have affected people. Anyway, its done now, crewing for a friend next year so Ill have to find an alternative. Stephans time was fast and next year will be interesting to see if many will challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

I recently read about stages events (Marathon des Sables, Grand2Grand, ..) and thought maybe the Kerry way could be a 2 stages race. Doing 200k in 1 go is crazy! :)

Staged events are just a series of short races. Why on God's earth would anyone want to take away from the essence of this race by degrading it to a staged race? There is nothing particularly crazy about doing 200k in 1 go. Don't let the limits of your imagination get in the way of other people's abilities.

I didn't know my imagination could get in the way of other people's ability (sounds like a skill or even a superpower: cool!)

Noone suggested to degrade the race.

Enduro wrote: »
    Staged events are just a series of short races. Why on God's earth would anyone want to take away from the essence of this race by degrading it to a staged race? There is nothing particularly crazy about doing 200k in 1 go. Don't let the limits of your imagination get in the way of other people's abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Most impressive. I wonder if participants actually run it or if they end up walking or even dragging themselves near the end.

Run or walk it, fair bloody play, i respect them so much!

• Advertisement

I didn't know my imagination could get in the way of other people's ability (sounds like a skill or even a superpower: cool!)

Noone suggested to degrade the race.

Changing a non-stop race to a staged race is significantly degrading it. That was your suggestion. Better, IMHO, to leave the race as the challenge it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

I'm pretty sure Drexl didn't suggest that the race should be changed to a 2 stage race.
    He had read about other staged events and when he saw the name of the Kerry Way 200km he wondered if it was already a 2 stage race.

Well done to all participants! ** salutes **

I'm pretty sure Drexl didn't suggest that the race should be changed to a 2 stage race.
    He had read about other staged events and when he saw the name of the Kerry Way 200km he wondered if it was already a 2 stage race.

Fair point. Maybe I misinterpreted that comment. If so, apologies!

Advertisement