Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do mopeds have fog lights?

• 05-09-2014 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a moped for my short journey ( 4.1km) to/from the train station in the mornings/evenings.

The moped would be use in a rural area, so no street lighting. Road is pretty decent.

Silly question but do mopeds have fog lights?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

not typically Im afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No never seen one fitted unless retro fitted by owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I of two minds whether or not to get one. During the summer months it would be fine but winter, especially with foggy mornings is another thing. Is it difficult to retro fit them?

Thanks for the quick feedback guys - appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Never seen one with fog lights and very few motorbikes have them as standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just to be clear a moped is a bike which can't exceed 49cc or 45km/h, you can ride it with a M or B licence issued before IIRC Oct 2006. Personally if I had a choice I wouldn't ride one on a rural road. If you are going for a licence even a 125 would be better and shouldn't be much more to insure. Or I can't believe I'm about to recommend a pedal assist bicycle, it'll be about as fast as a moped but without the costs of insurance and PPE.

To answer the question. I've never seen a bike with fog lights as standard but accessories abound. I've front aux LED lights fitted to my bike plenty of rears to choose from.

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    Never seen one with fog lights and very few motorbikes have them as standard.

What would your opinion be of using them on a rural road (fairly decent but not lighting) for 4.1km journey one way? My immediate concern is fog. Then again if I have reflective gear on also, perhaps a light on the helmet (front+rear) ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You could travel as best you can with a car or keep tapping brake light or if really bad keep right indicator on.

Fog is dangerous but distance you are going isn't huge and should be ok.

Some BMW tourers have front fogs but due to bikes having small back ends the fog light could be mistaken for the brake light.

I wouldn't let fog put you off the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Why don't you get a push bike, you'd cover 4k in less than 10 mins. A moped would only be marginally quicker over that distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Not too big a deal without specific fog lights in my opinion. Just keep the full lights on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Not too big a deal without specific fog lights in my opinion. Just keep the full lights on.

excpt when you get a slap from behind by someone doing 80 and you're going 45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,378 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Foglights are a load of bollix, 99.9% abused 0.1% used correctly, if they didn't exist at all then all motorists would be better off.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Rear ones would be most important and I've never saw a motorcycle with rear fogs.
    You could get something like this:

stock-photo-mod-moped-682511.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Foglights are a load of bollix, 99.9% abused 0.1% used correctly, if they didn't exist at all then all motorists would be better off.

Was very glad of them in the cage a few times over on the continent. Never once used them here though.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Rear ones would be most important and I've never saw a motorcycle with rear fogs.
    You could get something like this:

stock-photo-mod-moped-682511.jpg

Very good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are worried about rear visibility then powerful LED's can be rigged up on a moped pretty easily with a switch
    They use so little power that even a puny electrical system like a scooter can easily run a couple of superbright LED lights.

Advertisement