Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fence and decking quote

• 05-09-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello there,

I have got a quote for a fence and extending a decking area and was wondering if it was reasonable.

The fence consists of 240 round topped boards (4 foot long) and there are two gates. Holes need to be dug, posts cemented, frame built and boards attached.

We already have a decking that is 12 foot squared and we are adding another section that is about 6 foot by 12 foot, with a gate to be added.

All in all the above is 3100 euro (1550 labour; 1550 parts), and i have been told that it will take 2 men 6 days to do it. Is this ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

They building the fence themselves?
    Hard to say from the info given.
    Whats under the new deck?
    The deck sounds small and assuming they're just building a frame and laying the boards, then doing your gate thingy - i would say thats 2 days max (esp with 2 of them). If they have to dig holes and poor cement for footers will take a bit longer.

The fence im not sure of - what kind of timber? Is it custom made?

But if you're sure the materials are costing 1500 and the fence takes up the other 4 days labour - then 1500 for labour is good. in fact, id imagine at that rate I'd doubt if the tax man is seeing any of it. Is it a company or just a bloke.

Im not a pro or anything but i recently finished my own deck and fencing. It was about 16 sq metres though. and it was curved had lights, table built into the deck joists, and a picture frame boarder. I did most of it alone but it took about equivalant of 15 working days (i did bits in evenings and weekends). There was 10 metres of 1.8m high fencing which i made myself. Alot of time was spent making design changes and "fiddling". I did a lot of routing and paying attention to detail, which takes time...

Should be no fiddling on yours really. In summary... Funnily, I think the price is about right - but 6 days for 2 men is prob a bit much. Theyre underpaying themselves for the 6 days IMO.

Best thing to do would be get in a few more quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Meant to say... My materials came to about 1200 give or take a few nick nacks.
    All run of the mill treated timber and standard deck boards. 2x4 for the frame. Fence was 7x1 run horizontally between 2x4s spaced about 2.5m apart rebaited and 7x1 screwed to back. Id stick a pic up but it wont let me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

pmccabe wrote: »
    Hello there,

I have got a quote for a fence and extending a decking area and was wondering if it was reasonable.

The fence consists of 240 round topped boards (4 foot long) and there are two gates. Holes need to be dug, posts cemented, frame built and boards attached.i

We already have a decking that is 12 foot squared and we are adding another section that is about 6 foot by 12 foot, with a gate to be added.

All in all the above is 3100 euro (1550 labour; 1550 parts), and i have been told that it will take 2 men 6 days to do it. Is this ok?

at a first glance it looks excessive. Esp. 6 days Labour .
    Will reply later with a better breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pmccabe

Hello there and thanks for your replies. Boards are custom made and decking boards are standard. There's one length of about 100 feet and another section coming across the driveway. 240 boards in total. Look forward to the breakdown. Thanks

Advertisement