Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest Sept 2014

Options
  • 05-09-2014 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there is already a thread - couldn't find one!

Oktoberfest starts 18th September in the Docklands. We have never been before and would love to go some evening. How does it work? Any tips?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dovies wrote: »
    Any tips?
    Go early. You get people on here complaining that they rocked up at 7pm on a weekend evening and it was loud and crowded with huge queues. Of course it was. I usually go at lunchtime when it's much more civilised.
    How does it work?
    There are bars selling beer -- usually just Erdinger and Fischer Helles -- and there are stalls with food. You pay cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Also will be the first year attending ! Should be good fun!

I passed through it two years and it looked like a great laugh, sadly I was new to Dublin at the time and was billy no mates !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Its silly, over priced and not even close to being worthy of taking the name of the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

BeerNut wrote: »
    Go early. You get people on here complaining that they rocked up at 7pm on a weekend evening and it was loud and crowded with huge queues. Of course it was. I usually go at lunchtime when it's much more civilised.

There are bars selling beer -- usually just Erdinger and Fischer Helles -- and there are stalls with food. You pay cash.

Great. We will go midweek so hopefully it wont be too packed. There is a piece on booking tables but only tables of 10 so I wasn't sure how the rest of it worked. Fantastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Give it a miss if it is raining, as there is very little shelter. There is a tent set up over the water that has more beer taps and long tables (and incredibly annoying music) but they are very strict on the numbers that they let into to it. Crowd control and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There is a piece on booking tables but only tables of 10 so I wasn't sure how the rest of it worked.
    Yeah, like the Munich original it's quite skewed towards the corporate bookings, especially in the evenings, but it has always been open and public, at least during they day. I think they have a cover charge in the evenings, as part of their licensing arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

The venue is too small for the people attending. Lines to the toilet are incredulously long.
    Also when you happen to be in the tent and go out for any reason (like going to the toilet), don't expect to just be able to get back in. I had to wait 20 minutes and my friends, who were inside, called me worrying that something happened to me.

I will give it a miss this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Heading to the real deal in Munich this year...... :D

Any tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

LFC Murphy wrote: »

Any tips
    Plenty of €'s, dioralyte & Solpadol :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Any tips

Pick your tent wisely. Augustiner is the best and hacker pschorr is also really good. But everyone knows they are the best and you have to queue really early to get into these tents. Buy Oktoberfest souvneirs in places like Muller. It's like a mixture of boots and tesco. It's super cheap and really good.

But the most important thing is to have your e111 or travel insurance on you at all times and an ID with you. They won't look at you in a hospital in Germany without insurance and a way to verify its yo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Any tips

Dance on the tables in the German tent. Nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

thomur wrote: »
    Dance on the tables in the German tent. Nothing like it.

Memories of dancing to 'time of my life' and 'country roads' on the tables last year...can't wait for it this time around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Dublin one is overpriced and under facilitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I used to go every year. They always do something to make it that little bit worse. Haven't gone in about 3 years, but last I heard there was plastic glasses :mad:
    That's enough to make me stay away. It's always good fun, but get there early (I used to get there at about 4:30 on a friday) and you can be kicked out of your seats because some company has booked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Hey folks. Just to let you know we went in on Tuesday night and had a great night. We are going back in next week and taking my son and a couple of his mates with us. It was fairly busy but we got seats by the bar on the platform and then went back up for food and came down to the platform again and had no trouble getting seats. The tent though was absolutely jammed so gave it a miss. Food was great and beer even better -a bit pricey but we enjoyed ourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Moist Mittens

The beer "selection" last year really turned me off ever going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Went on Tuesday and had a great time. Got up there around 4:30pm and the place was pretty dead but picked up soon enough. Strolled into the tent and had a table for 3 of us for the whole evening. Steins were €10 which is pretty decent, pints were €6.50 so definitely stick with the steins! Plastic glasses and the fact you have to pay a €5 deposit for the "glass" was a bit annoying but you get it back at the end of the night. Beer selection is pretty much non existent, it's Erdinger or Fisher Helles which was fine with me as I love Erdinger. Would be a totally different story arriving at 7pm on a Friday night though I'd say so my advice is go mid-week and go early and you'll have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Any tips

We to Munich for the last 4 days last year. Get in there early-ish (before 11am) to get a nice spot (much earlier if going on a Saturday/Sunday).

1 litre steins last year were €10 (no deposit reqd.) and they had food as well. Each tent only serves 1 type of beer so choose wisely.

Overall I didn't find it too expensive as realistically you'll be doing well to have more than 6/7 steins.

I wouldn't bother getting lederhosen, they're expensive and the ones they sell there are just for tourists really. I mean you can if you want but they start at about €150.

The beer won't give you a killer headache but stay hydrated and have a decent breakfast each day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Went on Tuesday and had a great time. Got up there around 4:30pm and the place was pretty dead but picked up soon enough. Strolled into the tent and had a table for 3 of us for the whole evening. Steins were €10 which is pretty decent, pints were €6.50 so definitely stick with the steins! Plastic glasses and the fact you have to pay a €5 deposit for the "glass" was a bit annoying but you get it back at the end of the night. Beer selection is pretty much non existent, it's Erdinger or Fisher Helles which was fine with me as I love Erdinger. Would be a totally different story arriving at 7pm on a Friday night though I'd say so my advice is go mid-week and go early and you'll have a great time.

Pints are not €6.50. That is for a half litre. That makes a pint €7.40 which is daylight robbery. I stayed for half an hour and headed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Heading down tomorrow afternoon for an hour. Is there a cover charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

gg2 wrote: »
    Heading down tomorrow afternoon for an hour. Is there a cover charge?

No.

I was there last Saturday evening and sunday afternoon. I wouldn't bother your hole queuing to get into the centre part. It's little or no different to the bits on the periphery.

On the Saturday evening, the queue went all around the dock, 3-4 deep. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Pints are not €6.50. That is for a half litre. That makes a pint €7.40 which is daylight robbery. I stayed for half an hour and headed off.

Usually the german glasses are marked at 500ml, it's not the rim. In ireland when you get a pint it's actually around 500ml when you take the head into account.
    Anyway, if you're at the beer festival you should be drinking from a mass

Caliden wrote: »
    We to Munich for the last 4 days last year. Get in there early-ish (before 11am) to get a nice spot (much earlier if going on a Saturday/Sunday).

1 litre steins last year were €10 (no deposit reqd.) and they had food as well. Each tent only serves 1 type of beer so choose wisely.

Overall I didn't find it too expensive as realistically you'll be doing well to have more than 6/7 steins.

I wouldn't bother getting lederhosen, they're expensive and the ones they sell there are just for tourists really. I mean you can if you want but they start at about €150.

The beer won't give you a killer headache but stay hydrated and have a decent breakfast each day.

Arrived back yesterday, and have to say it was a great experience.... hangover wise we were in good for, although after 3 days the horrors did arrive right on time for the flight back yesterday :)

We booked a tent on Thursday from 12pm until 5pm, which for €300 for 8 people was well worth it as you get two steins and half a chicken..

I'm a broken man today though :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

A three day beer drinking binge sounds deeply unappealing. No clue why people get so excited for oktoberfest.

Beaner1 wrote: »
    A three day beer drinking binge sounds deeply unappealing. No clue why people get so excited for oktoberfest.

It wasn't a binge... it was a nice steady pace :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

>>No clue why people get so excited for oktoberfest. <<

Its the atmosphere ,The brass bands and the waitresses showing their tits ;-).Its the vast crowds that put me off it though .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

anto9 wrote: »

Its the atmosphere ,The brass bands and the waitresses showing their tits ;-).Its the vast crowds that put me off it though .

Beer halls open year round in Munich so oktoberfest is probabky the worst time to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Beer halls open year round in Munich so oktoberfest is probabky the worst time to visit.

This.
    Even in the Oktoberfest museum and tour in Munich itself, they don't really recommend you going to the Oktoberfest as they say it's full of drunk tourists mostly, and a lot of the locals leave the city. That, and it's well overpriced.
    sure, if that's what you want, go for it.

It's probably like heading to Dublin for St Patricks Day.
    It sounds great, but it's probably the worst time to be in the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

anto9 wrote: »

Its the weekends, especially Friday night / Saturday that are insane.

during the week though is grand.
    Its still damn busy, but more than manageable.

BTW, the age and state of a lot of waitresses isnt exactly the most erotic or pleasing sight to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Guys can we keep discussion limited to Oktoberfest in Dublin, anything else is off topic

And less of the sexist remarks about the waitresses too

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement