Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Hunting Wellies

Options
  • 05-09-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm after a new pair of wellies, was thinking about Hunters but a few people have said they are not great! Have never had them before and am interested in peoples views.

Can anybody recommend a good brand.

I will be mainly using them at weekends so moderate use.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Hunters are good and suit you if you want a fitting boot that is easier to walk in but they are expensive, if you are travelling to europe you will find a wide range of different boots for hunting that you won't find here at a variety of prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

HW100S wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm after a new pair of wellies, was thinking about Hunters but a few people have said they are not great! Have never had them before and am interested in peoples views.

Can anybody recommend a good brand.

I will be mainly using them at weekends so moderate use.

Thanks in advance.

Hunter are crap for hunting,more for the horsey people or posing or electric picnic:rolleyes:;).No grip on them. A pair of aigle I have been using for a number of years shooting/stalking/fishing.comfortable solid, great sole on them for grip and walking,feel like a walking boot,google them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Sealand Moor Stable, I use them for rough shooting (marsh, bog, hillside) and lowlands stalking. Great grip, comfort and warmth, even when standing in flooded marsh for hours. There are more expensive boots with a better pedigree but with todays outsourceing your not guaranteed the same quality as yester year and you'd be surprised who's actually making the designer labels.

http://www.sportsden.ie/clothing/seeland-clothing/seeland-moor-stable-18-5-wellington-boots.html

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Hunter are crap for hunting,more for the horsey people or posing or electric picnic:rolleyes:;).No grip on them. A pair of aigle I have been using for a number of years shooting/stalking/fishing.comfortable solid, great sole on them for grip and walking,feel like a walking boot,google them

Depends which type of Hunter, steer clear of the Originals, sole wears out fast and rubber starts to perish after a few years. Hunter Neoprene Balmorals are a great boot, but expensive. Aigle have a good rep, but I cant vouch for them, I will say though they have a far more 'horsey' pedigree than Hunter in that Aigle make quality riding boots. Hunter were far longer associated with fieldsports before Kate Moss slipped into pair to go and stand in the mud at Glastonbury, not that it should matter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Thanks for all the replies

It was the Hunter Balmorals that I was interested in so I might check them out.
    The Aigles were also recommended but are maybe a little expensive.

Sports den have two Balmorals, €184.99 & €134.99. Is the price difference due to the full length zip on one or are there other differences between both?

Same with the Aigle €195 vs €119.99? One has a strap at the top while the other has not.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Sealand Moor Stable, I use them for rough shooting (marsh, bog, hillside) and lowlands stalking. Great grip, comfort and warmth, even when standing in flooded marsh for hours. There are more expensive boots with a better pedigree but with todays outsourceing your not guaranteed the same quality as yester year and you'd be surprised who's actually making the designer labels.

These look good also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hunter are crap for hunting,more for the horsey people or posing or electric picnic:rolleyes:;).No grip on them.
    I'm sorry to have to say i agree.

I have a pair of hunters and they are comfortable and easy to walk in. The problems are:
    • Not great on really cold days/nights
    • The grips are in fact rubbish. Have had a couple of near falls when crossing rivers, gates.
    • They don't provide a great deal in terms of ankle support.

Now i still have them and use them in around this time of the year when i'ts mostly dry and no real weather related issues. However this year i invested in a pair of Muck boots. The difference is unbelievable.
    • Excellent soles, and grip.
    • Last lasting (my mate has his 5 years and the Father 2)
    • Excellent support
    • Extremely warm. Even in minus degree temps your feet are very well insulated without sweating.
    • The are beyond comfortable. The lining is second to none.

They range from €130 up to €250, but any pair will not leave you disappointed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    I'm sorry to have to say i agree.

I have a pair of hunters and they are comfortable and easy to walk in. The problems are:
    • The grips are in fact rubbish. Have had a couple of near falls when crossing rivers, gates.

Are they the Hunter classic or the Balmorals? My friend has the classics and I would agree the sole is rubbish with poor grip. The Balmoroals on the other hand look a much better grip.

I like the look of the Muck Boots but i'm not sure about the lining. Most of my shooting is rough shooting over springers where the pace is fast so i'm not sure if a lined wellie would be suitable?? May get very warm? They look great tho for cold conditions, water fowling, Lamping etc.....

Are they the Hunter classic or the Balmorals?
    Balmoral Classics.
    I like the look of the Muck Boots but i'm not sure about the lining. Most of my shooting is rough shooting over springers where the pace is fast so i'm not sure if a lined wellie would be suitable?? May get very warm? They look great tho for cold conditions, water fowling, Lamping etc.....

This is my first year with them sop cannot comment. Ruger1894c on here can tell you more. He uses his for everything. Good weather, bad, cold, farming, walking, staling, etc. He has them on. And after five years and with a good bit of wear an tear and they are still doing the job.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »

However this year i invested in a pair of The difference is unbelievable.

They range from €130 up to €250, but any pair will not leave you disappointed.

I've never found the grips particularly bad or had a problem with in the cold, you don't say if you have the neoprene lined ones? I agree about the ankle support though,
    I'd also give a thumbs up to the MuckBoots. Whatever you get make them neoprene lined, when I got them first I didn't know how I ever did without them.

ps can someone tell me how long I'm gonna be 'a new user' for, attachments thing is doing my brain in?

• Advertisement

I've never found the grips particularly bad or had a problem with in the cold, you don't say if you have the neoprene lined ones?
    Yup. It seems thin, but it's there. The problem is i've always suffered with cold feet. Same with the hands, but gloves sort that out. Even with regular footwear i suffer cold toes, and eventually feet. It's the reason i use a couple of pairs of socks, and usually thernal ones at that.
    ps can someone tell me how long I'm gonna be 'a new user' for, attachments thing is doing my brain in?
    Once you hit 50 posts you are no longer classed as a new user. It's an anti-spam measure initiated by the Admins after a serious of graphic posts by trolls/spammers.

Thanks Cass, 15 to go and I'm all grown up.
    Sorry to hear about your cold feet and hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Thanks for all the replies

It was the Hunter Balmorals that I was interested in so I might check them out.
    The Aigles were also recommended but are maybe a little expensive.

Sports den have two Balmorals, €184.99 & €134.99. Is the price difference due to the full length zip on one or are there other differences between both?

Same with the Aigle €195 vs €119.99? One has a strap at the top while the other has not.

Thanks in advance.

The higher priced pair are probably neoprene lined.

I have had a pair of Aigle for about ten years and still going strong. That said I usually wear boots rather than wellies when shooting.

I got a new pair of the neoprene lined Aigle before Christmas and find them much too warm. I would only wear them if there was snow on the ground.

The modern Hunters are made in China, not Scotland any more so are best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mil dot

Le chameau d best pair I have used own hunter Balmoral, and had a pair of muckboots.
    Le chameau is way ahead of the other 2. U can wear le chameau all day long and would not know there on your feet, and most importantly your feet don't sweat in them like the other 2.

Which type?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I bought a pair of Nokian wellingtons a good few years ago at the ploughing. I still have them and they are the most comfortable wellies I have had ever. The rubber is very soft and flexible and they are felt lined inside. I think they are Finnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I bought himself a pair of Ever Creature wellies from creative wellies in Dublin.

He was impressed, as he wears them a lot for long and they are comfortable. They have a Facebook page but I got them in Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cork Rebel

Aigle are a great boot, I have had mine for the last 4 years and they are after covering some country and they are still going strong.

Mine weren't too dear, I paid €75 for them in the sale and they were well worth that. How many cheaper boots would I have had bought in that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

denismac wrote: »
    I bought a pair of Nokian wellingtons a good few years ago at the ploughing. I still have them and they are the most comfortable wellies I have had ever. The rubber is very soft and flexible and they are felt lined inside. I think they are Finnish.

They make the nokian phone wellies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mil dot

Vega outlast evolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

http://outdoorsports.ie/collections/mens-footwear/Wellington

I was watching a pair of aigle on here and they sold out, I contacted them at them and basicly said there not stocking aigle anymore and moving onto seeland.
    The seeland look like a nice boot and reasonably priced,

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Are Jack Pike wellingtons any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

ace86 wrote: »
    Are Jack Pike wellingtons any good?

I was in range river west in tallaght yesterday, they have jack pyke wellies, seemed quiet heavy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Folks, you can laugh at me all you like but I have had the Hunters and the Dunlops and a few others over the years. I spent about 5 years in wellies at one stage, when I worked outdoors.

I've never stretched to the Aigles/Le Chameaus or premium stuff, but if you want a good pair of all-rounders with decent grip, that don't come away in mud, don't fall apart in briars and don't leak, get a humble pair of Aldi steel toe wellies (I saw some there today).

OP has probably invested, but just throwing my 2c in.

12.99 BTW and don't laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Steel caps are way to heavy to be walking through a wet ploughed field ,its bad enough half the field stuck to your boot without the extra weight , the best i have had are Toggi or Aigle, Hunters are made in china these days and are ****e ,i had a pair of muck boots i got as a present they are grand and warm for standing around a hide but i found the ankle caving in on mine when walking and very slippy getting over a gate.Dunlops are grand if your just baiting cattle around a field with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 J s682

+1 for the Toggi have mine nearly 5 years and there still going strong great boot and not overly expensive I paid around €65 iirc

Hi All

I was in Duffy shooting shop in Merlin park (shoot.ie) last weekend and he had some wellies, mostly Aigle, which were comfortable but he also had a brand called Angler which I had never heard about before - he said they were new. I tried them on and they were probably the most comfortable pair I have tried recently and this includes hunters, muckboots, wildhunter, sealand etc.
    I will be back in the shop soon and am interested in getting them but I can't find any info on them - they don't seem to exist.... they may be rubbish, I don't know. The owner said he is selling them for 6 months and has no returns to date.

Does anybody have them or know anything about them. They are light green in colour with a dark sole. They are manufactured with a hard (ish) rubber material as opposed to the softer Aigles. As I said earlier, ANGLER is the brand and they are very very comfortable.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement