Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wall-plug wattage measurement device

• 05-09-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭

I'm kind of worried my entertainment centre (TV/xbox/PVR/etc etc) is potentially drawing a dangerous amount of electricity across the single plug it's all connected to (albeit most things are on standby).

Recommend a device I can plug everything into to show me the wattage being used?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There should be a wattage number stamped on each device, add them up and there's your answer.

From the list you provided, the TV would be the biggest draw in terms of current, the rest would involve mainly solid-state electronics with a hard drive (PVR) here and there, wouldn't really amount to a lot in terms of mains electricity. My 42" Philips LCD TV for example consumes only 146W according to the spec. sheet.

You're obviously using a socket board, just make sure that it's isn't warm to the touch which would suggest inferior internal wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

any idea what a safe max is?

Also it'd be good to know how much energy is being used on standby. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mrcheez wrote: »
    any idea what a safe max is?

Also it'd be good to know how much energy is being used on standby. Thanks!

Check the specifications for all of the devices, they should all state the power consumption on standby.

The safe overall max. is 13 amps which is what the wall socket and the circuit behind it is designed to deliver as an absolute max. That would involve almost 3 kW consumption.

The plug you have going into the wall from the socket board should have a 13A fuse in it, that will protect you if you connect too many devices i.e. that's your first line of defence provided the socket board doesn't melt first which is why I mentioned above that it needs to be able to handle the load so make sure it's got some German or similar approvals stamped on it.

If there's more than one socket on the wall, I'd connect the TV to it's own wall socket and leave the rest of the devices combined onto the socket board.

Unfortunately only the one socket, but I take it the fuses you mention should prevent any issues?

Actually there appear to be a load of electricity usage devices

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Efergy-Technologies-EMS-2-0-In-Home/dp/B008X3ABTG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_d_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17K4Q7WKACGSFHW61433

Something like this would prolly help me figure out cost of leaving items on standby or power drawn on one plug

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Check out one of these. A device is clipped onto your meter and it broadcasts the power consumption. The second item then is plugged into any socket and it displays your power consumption (and cost) now, over the last day, last week, and last 30 days.

http://www.currentcost.com/products.html

With it installed, let everything settle, then turn on your setup and it will show the power consumed. Turn it off and it will show the reduction.

A device is clipped onto your meter

Hmm how does it clip to the meter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hmm how does it clip to the meter?

It is a clip that goes around the red power cable, and measures the current in the cable. It works wirelessly, so the receiver needs to be in range.

Look at the website - it is the 'Transmitter' that clips onto the cable - there is a photo.

So it just clips the cable tightly and doesn't actually pierce the rubber or anything?

EDIT: Ah right I see from the video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrpuiEusu3s), it just hangs around the red wire.

Where do you buy these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Don't worry. As long as your house is wired to meet current legislation you'll be fine. The fuse in your plug is your current limiting device as so as long as its rating is suitable for the application you shouldn't have any problems. Also do not exceed any warning limitations on any extension sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Where do you buy these?

I got mine free from Airtricity.

They are available from ebay.

223vmax wrote: »
    Don't worry. As long as your house is wired to meet current legislation you'll be fine. The fuse in your plug is your current limiting device as so as long as its rating is suitable for the application you shouldn't have any problems. Also do not exceed any warning limitations on any extension sockets.

I decided it'd be good to get a wattage measurement device anyway to see how much energy is being used in general.

Was amazed how, when everything in the house was set to standby, the electricity meter wheel was moving fairly steadily.

When I switched off the standby items at the plug it dropped drastically.

Advertisement