Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photograph from Liberation of G(h)ent 1944

Options
  • 05-09-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

In a box of old family photographs I have found three photos that I cannot determine for sure are photos or some kind of souvenir card (they do look like photos). They are approximately 3" x 2" in size and have some handwriting on the back.

The first one is a picture of building in Gent (sic) with British, USA & Russian flags hanging from the upper windows and on the back it says in what appears to be handwriting
    "Souvenir from Gent
    Liberation on 6/9/44
    Geldof Marcel
    47 Rue Flaute"

The second and third photos are of a woman in her 20's i'd say, she is wearing a black short sleeve dress with lace work around the collar bones and the message on the back of these reads: "Lover come back to me" (in italics) and
    "don't cry baby" (in capitals)

I can only think that this means somewhere in one of my grandparents families someone went to War or was present in Belgium and before I start digging (perhaps unecessarily) it would be helpful if anyone could shed some light on whether these are actual photos or just some kind of souvenir from the time.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Can you scan and post an image?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 amoppet

I would love to, I have tried already but for some reason I don't seem able to, either on my PC or phone. Is this Boards policy do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Oh yeah, I think you need 50 posts to be able to post images.

Mods, can ye help out?

Advertisement