Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seconadary Sch - Resource Hours

Options
  • 05-09-2014 1:18pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

No a clue where to post this - so move where appropriate -

Daughter is in 5th class - when do i let secondary school know all her Learning difficulties so support will be in place for when she starts.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

When she's officially offered a place in the secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

You'd need to talk to someone in SEN but as a basic classroom teacher at second level I've been told that support at primary does not automatically get granted for secondary and it can be a battle in first year. That may have changed tho

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It doesn't automatically transfer, talk to the primary school early in 6th class.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bof No1

Hi, our son has moderate to severe learning difficulties. We arranged a meeting with the secondary school prior to the school holidays in June and paid for a professional with extensive experience to be there, to explain the requirements that needed to be put in place for a successful transition and his continued education. What happened, nothing!!! One week into the new term and he's being threatened with detention for not doing homework he doesn't and never will understand. This, despite several phone calls, which take them 2 days to return and several visits to see the senior resource teacher in the school. Also, several notes in the journal to the teachers concerned, which are not being acted on and not acknowledged. From my experience so far, I can only say, don't hold your breath, or else lower your expectations of the help you think you're going to receive. Cheers, Bof No1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi, my daughter has a disability, and learning difficulties. But being involved with the CRC, they , as well as myself, would have met with the Principal, and SNA, and resource teachers, on our behalf. This would have happened in 6th class, well before she was due to start secondary school. It was decided another language would be too much, and that she need not take on Religion. So when the others are doing these subjects, she gets resource time. If you are not involved with the CRC, or anyone else, I would definitely make an appointment to see the Principal, yourself, not long after starting 6th Class.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Under the proposed new model for SEN provision, they may not get support at all.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 67 ✭✭slig17

Under the proposed new model for SEN provision, they may not get support at all.

and what is in that exactly - in simple terms if you dont mind.

Additional teachers will be referred to as support teachers.

Pupils will receive support based on their need rather than on a category of disability.

Schools will decide how to allocate the resources they receive.
    So there won't be resource if this gets through and the biggest issue for me is how does one define "need?"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 67 ✭✭slig17

Additional teachers will be referred to as support teachers.

Pupils will receive support based on their need rather than on a category of disability.

Schools will decide how to allocate the resources they receive.
    So there won't be resource if this gets through and the biggest issue for me is how does one define "need?"

Oh thats gonna be fun - she is already getting 4.25 in primary so that will be a huge hit if she gets none :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

slig17 wrote: »
    Oh thats gonna be fun - she is already getting 4.25 in primary so that will be a huge hit if she gets none :-(

My son gets the same. When he started school he had a full time SNA and full time resource hours. Now, in 6th, through cut backs, he has 4.5 hours resource, which is brilliant, but I hate the thoughts of how he'll cope with secondary if there are any more changes/cuts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement