Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Blackrock

Options
  • 05-09-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a place not too far from Blackrock. What are the closest areas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I'm looking for a place not too far from Blackrock. What are the closest areas?

Thanks!

Mahon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Mahon is close, but not the nicest area. How about Ballintemple or Ballinlough? Douglas isn't far either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Mahon is close, but not the nicest area. How about Ballintemple or Ballinlough? Douglas isn't far either.

Depends on the part. Jacobs Island etc is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

In fairness the original question can be asked by looking at a map. Hence my answer of Mahon. Gonna need more info as to what the OP is looking for. Budget, family or single, is traffic important an issue and where is commute to, etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Just be warned that rental accommodation is expensive and very hard to get in the Blackrock, Mahon, Jacobs island, ballintemple area. A lot of people are trying to rent around there due to the increase in companies & jobs opening up in the last year.

If you are going to be working in the area you could be as well off living in the city centre although the traffic and public transport are also very busy at rush hour. Cycling could be a very good option.

As another poster said, where you choose to live is also very dependent on your own situation - family / house share / transport etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Ludo wrote: »
    In fairness the original question can be asked by looking at a map. Hence my answer of Mahon. Gonna need more info as to what the OP is looking for. Budget, family or single, is traffic important an issue and where is commute to, etc etc etc.

I did check a map first (smart, I know) but I found it too confusing and not very reflecive (yeah, maps don't tell you how many bus routes you gotta take to get to XYZ). Maps aren't always precise. They don't tell you how long the commute to Blackrock is neither do they give you a hint as to whether the area is safe or not.

Type of accomodation: Share (one bedroom ensuite)
    Budget: 500e/PM max

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

GlobalSun wrote: »
    I did check a map first (smart, I know) but I found it too confusing and not very reflecive (yeah, maps don't tell you how many bus routes you gotta take to get to XYZ). Maps aren't always precise. They don't tell you how long the commute to Blackrock is neither do they give you a hint as to whether the area is safe or not.

Type of accomodation: Share (one bedroom ensuite)
    Budget: 500e/PM max

How will you be travelling? Car, bus, cycling?

Mahon wouldn't be the safest area. If you're working at Mahon point, you could look at Jacob's Island. Otherwise, I'll look at Blackrock itself, Ballintemple and Ballinlough. Douglas is about equidistant with Ballinlough, but there's very little public transport between the two (a bus an hour, and I'm not sure if it runs on weekends).

Also, a lot of places advertise themselves as blackrock, but are really Mahon. Anywhere east past the Central Statistics Office is pretty much Mahon, although it doesn't get too rough until about Ballinure Place going east (IMO, I'm sure some will disagree with me).

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Strange, all the posts about Mahon, Lived here for many years and never had any trouble.
    Depends where and who your neighbours are I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I lived in mahon for 2 years with absolutely no trouble, Douglas village and grange were worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ballintemple, beaumont, ballinlough, city center would all be close enough and along bus routes to mahon. It's a pain to actually figure out the routes, but the bus routes 202, 215, 201 and possibly 219? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on those) all go to mahon. There are a few different big working areas there as well... City gate, mahon industrial estate, mahon point and retail park.

Douglas would be awkward enough I think. I *think* the 219 might go from douglas to mahon, but bus eireann don't actually pubish maps of their routes, helpfully enough.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Ballintemple, beaumont, ballinlough, city center would all be close enough and along bus routes to mahon. It's a pain to actually figure out the routes, but the bus routes 202, 215, 201 and possibly 219? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on those) all go to mahon. There are a few different big working areas there as well... City gate, mahon industrial estate, mahon point and retail park.

Douglas would be awkward enough I think. I *think* the 219 might go from douglas to mahon, but bus eireann don't actually pubish maps of their routes, helpfully enough.

Yeah the 219 goes up & down the well road so it can be used to get to/from Douglas. It's only once an hour though and the last one is at 6 I believe, and it doesn't run at weekends so it's not terribly useful if you are working odd shift times.

The main buses would be the 202 and the 215. The 215 goes all the way to Jacobs island so is the main one for Mahon point , city gate. The 202 is more skehard road /CSO/ Mahon industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I lived in mahon for 2 years with absolutely no trouble, Douglas village and grange were worse.

Well that's not true

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

It's not lower manhattan, you'll get a gaff in blackrock handy enough, and for less that 500.

usersame wrote: »
    It's not lower manhattan, you'll get a gaff in blackrock handy enough, and for less that 500.

Have you actually tried though? You would think so but earlier this year a friend was looking and everything that was listed on daft was already gone, or if they did manage to arrange a viewing there would be a queue of people ahead of them and the first ones with the deposit in cash on them would get the place. They widened the net to Douglas and managed to get a place there eventually, but only because they knew the letting agent and heard about the place before it was listed.

Now it's possible that the OP might be able to get a share in a place in the area for 500 or less, but I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of people trying to rent in the area and there aren't a lot of available rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

rent has gone mad and tis pretty hard to find something decant. Jacobs Island would probably have something but be aware stay away from Choices or those places.. Try rose Properties they might have something.. There is a new thing of google maps now where you put in your destination and it shows you what buses and route you have to take to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

It's true. There is a very limited number of available rooms. It's far easier to find something in Dublin to be honest.
    I've been checking rent.ie for the past few days and the rooms are either gone or too far from Blackrock or plain disgusting.
    It's proving to be quite the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

To be honest nothing is really that far from Blackrock even if you went to town, you can cycle there in bout 20mins pending on fitness, there are buses out there from town... I knew of a place in town by electric that the chap who owed it was looking for tenants but not sure if tis available I can check if you like

Advertisement