Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic found in a Supervalu ready meal...yuck

Options
  • 05-09-2014 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

I suppose we should know its cheap muck and avoid it, but still its not right.
    I was chewing a blue piece of plastic plastic, which I later found out was the raw meat packaging...Supervalu's supplier apologised and offered a €20 voucher. .imo i think that a poor offer considering it ruined a whole meal and made me want to vomit.
    Good or bad customer service, what you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

20 isn't bad, considering the item itself was maybe a fiver? What did supervalu say?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is more a consumer issue so I've moved it to the relevant forum.

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I found a zip in a ready meal 2 weeks ago
    Manufacturer didn't bother replying to my email (with photos and batch number).

20 euro voucher is pretty decent. There was no damage done, so it's not like you'd be able to win compensation, and it's probably about 8 times the value of the meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Autonomous wrote: »
    I suppose we should know its cheap muck and avoid it, but still its not right.
    I was chewing a blue piece of plastic plastic, which I later found out was the raw meat packaging...Supervalu's supplier apologised and offered a €20 voucher. .imo i think that a poor offer considering it ruined a whole meal and made me want to vomit.
    Good or bad customer service, what you think?

It was just a piece of sterile plastic that got pulled into the meat mixing machine when the meals were being produced, completely harmless and cleaner than any part of your kitchen!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

20e is very decent,
    In fairness something like this gets investigated as it can ruin a company if it happens again and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Cabaal wrote: »
    20e is very decent,
    In fairness something like this gets investigated as it can ruin a company if it happens again and again

In fairness, if it's something that could ruin a company, then the report alone should be worth a lot more to them than €20, entirely apart from compensating the consumer for their inconvenience.

Many consumers wouldn't bother to complain but would tell their relatives and friends who, in turn, would tell their relatives and friends etc.. That's what causes serious reputational damage to companies.

It would be interesting to hear what Supervalu themselves had to say about it. They have a responsibility, particularly if the product is sold under their own brand label. If they've attempted to fob this off on their supplier, it's just not good enough.

In my experience, Supervalu own brand products are generally excellent and I'm surprised they don't appear to have taken the matter more seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Ya, 20e is ok, but just about covered a spoilt dinner.
    All the same it could have choked one of my kids :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I found a dead fly in a sausage I was cutting up for my son a couple of years ago . complained and didn't get an answer even so your doin well to get offered €20 imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Melendez wrote: »

Care to explain that value?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Lissavane wrote: »
    In fairness, if it's something that could ruin a company, then the report alone should be worth a lot more to them than €20, entirely apart from compensating the consumer for their inconvenience.

Not really, contamination happens all the time. So much so most places have a policy on it and let front-line retail staff deal with it. It's no more uncommon than someone dropping a jar of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ya, 20e is ok, but just about covered a spoilt dinner.

so how much do you think you should have gotten then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If it was me, I'd be informing the FSAI and them investigate the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Ah the old "my kids" line.

Give a little respect to children, they are well able to spit out anything they don't like and also unless it was a large piece of plastic, it would be easily swallowed and passed through their system.

I can never understand why so many people go with "what if a child was there" line when complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

delahuntv wrote: »
    Ah the old "my kids" line.

Give a little respect to children, they are well able to spit out anything they don't like and also unless it was a large piece of plastic, it would be easily swallowed and passed through their system.

I can never understand why so many people go with "what if a child was there" line when complaining.

Simple really, children's throats are smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We're not here to argue child vs adult. This is not a Consumer Issue. This is an issue that should be reported to the retailer and possibly the FSAI.

Reporting it to the retailer is the correct thing to do as it affords them a chance to investigate their manufacturing chain, and identify where control points have failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

OP, most posters think you were fairly treated, that implies you received at least fair customer service. Your question has been answered.
    If you report it to the FSAI they will deal with the contamination issue if necessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement