Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission - change of use

Options
  • 05-09-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am looking at a property

The property is currently a commercial property and i have been told by planning authorities there should be no problems getting planning permission as a residential property.

My Question is when does is stop being a commercial property and turn into a residential property.
    What is the posses for this is there any legislation out lining the point it goes from commercial to residential does the planning authorities send out an inspector to view the property.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Was it previously a residential property before being turned into a commercial? If that is the case, in my experience, you should not have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JohnD26

Hi Thanks for the response

I been told bu planning there should be no issue with the planning end but I am trying to find a way to avoid paying 12% stamp duty that come with a commercial property.

So I am wondering if I get planning approved on the property prior to pursing will work also have to be carried out or is the planning enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What 12% stamp duty?

Sorry my fault 2% on commercial

Rather that 1% on residential

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You also need to factor in the change from rates to LPT.

• Advertisement

Yea Iv tough of that

I'm trying to see if there is a way to get it zoned as residential prior to me pursing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

is the property on a high street or detached? If it part of an apartment block or management company you wont be able to have it re zoned. The lease will prohibit it 99 times out of ten.

I would imagine you would have to purchase the unit unless as a condition of sale the existing owner makes the required changes prior to you buying it. I would imagine they would want you to do all the work and pay for it up front with no guarantee that they will exchange contracts once all this is done if the value suddenly goes up and they get a better offer?

Advertisement