Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg's of Lamb

Options
  • 05-09-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

I've a big freezer and a family who love a roast lamb Sunday lunch but the price fluctuates a lot.

Earlier in the year Aldi were doing a deal where fresh legs of lamb were €7.99 a kilo menaing a 2.5kg (average sized leg) was only €22 Vs up to €33 for the same size leg at other times in supermarkets and butchers.

Maybe I'm in a minority of one but I'd love to know when really good deals on legs of lamb are happening so I can fill my freezer up :D

Any tip off's most appreciated.

I'm based in Dublin if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Dunnes Store is doing promotion on those legs. 7.26/kg. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

Aldi had them at €7.99/kg yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Aldi had them at €7.99/kg yesterday.
    Cheers, I'll check then out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭worded

Now long can they be kept in a freezer for ?

worded wrote: »
    Now long can they be kept in a freezer for ?

Six months easily. Depends on the freezer I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Aldi are generally about 7.99. I get one on a fairly regular basis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lidl are also €7.99/kg.
    They have them from Monday

snubbleste wrote: »
    Lidl are also €7.99/kg.
    They have them from Monday

From next Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Go to a local farmer - pick a nice ewe lamb (female / milder taste) or ram if you like stronger flavour. You'd get a nice good fat one for about €90 - a 50kg lamb would kill out about 23kgs. A butcher will kill and bag it whatever way you want it done for around €30. Delicious... I have my own and usually butcher one every year. Last year I butchered a ewe lamb with a funny leg as the factory can be fussy and she may have ended up in a bin.the rack of lamb was something special....just a suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

DK man wrote: »
    Go to a local farmer - pick a nice ewe lamb (female / milder taste) or ram if you like stronger flavour. You'd get a nice good fat one for about €90 - a 50kg lamb would kill out about 23kgs. A butcher will kill and bag it whatever way you want it done for around €30. Delicious... I have my own and usually butcher one every year. Last year I butchered a ewe lamb with a funny leg as the factory can be fussy and she may have ended up in a bin.the rack of lamb was something special....just a suggestion

Just goes to show you how much the shops are making as opposed to the farmer! Still, couldn't bring the lil furry fella to the butcher :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

I butcher a few lambs every year for the freezer and family. I have a few extra this year. They are going to the butcher Tuesday if you are interested.

Where are you / the butcher based Corazon?

I am based in Longford, a few miles off the N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

corazon wrote: »

just out of interest.. how much for ur lamb. killed butchered and ready for freezer.

and what age and weight before killing.

corazon wrote: »

Too far for me to collect I'm afraid. I was hoping your were in wicklow but even then my freezer is almost wedged full!! I had another BBQ'd butterflied leg of lamb last Sunday and mmmmmm, it was delicious.

Lambs are E150 butchered and ready for freezer. Should kill out between 35-50lb depending on the lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Send a PM to eorna - he sells them for a similar price to Corazon and he's based in Kildare

Advertisement